1000-1200 diet! Who did it?

Options
Hi.. I want to lose weight but, is really hard for my body losing it, even when I exercise 6 times for week... I start a diet eating less carbs (only mornings), after that only protein, veggies and fruits.. Some had red tea before go to bed... If I eat carbs.. I do not lose.. The problem on this diet is that I eat like 1000 cals per day...!!! Anybody had losing weight like this.?

Replies

• niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, and the intensity of your exercise needs to be accounted for, as well as your metabolism - but I'd guess that you are eating too few calories for healthy weight loss.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat 1000 calories if I was working out 6 times a week, but thats me.

I should add that I eat low carbs...not no carbs. I dont eat starchy carbs or sugar.
  • maryzush
    maryzush Posts: 7
    Options
    I almost spend in my Polar 600-1000 calories per day... !!!
  • lyfurlong
    lyfurlong Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too would think you are eating too few calories. MFP has my daily calorie intake set at 1200 before exercise. I always eat back some or most of my exercise calories. Check out the group Eat More, Weigh less, it is awesome and I am thinking of upping my calories soon but what i have been doing has worked for me as I have had a loss every week. I also have one treat meal or day per week.
  • ChrissyB42Fitt
    ChrissyB42Fitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may be putting your body into starvation mode. Are you eating often enough? If you workout and limit your calories to 1,000 per day, your body is going to hold onto everything it can because it thinks you are starving (think back to primal days, our bodies are conditioned to hold calories because it's not sure when you will find the next meal). You may also want to watch your sugar intake after lunch (limit fruit in the afternoon)

Allow yourself 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day, workout and the weight will come off. 1-2 lbs a week is normal so don't expect much more at your size. Eat only natural foods (nothing that comes in a package) and be consistent with your routine.

For workouts, always vary your workout. Muscle memory will get in the way of weight loss. If you run every day on the treadmill, your muscles won't be as challenged as time goes on. If you chenge it up, your body won't know what to expect. Come up with a weekly workout (what you are going to do each day - make sure every day isn't the same). Do thiis for a few weeks and change it u again. You can recycle your workouts a few weeks later

Good luck, you look great!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You should be eating something like 250 - 500 calories less than your TDEE for a 0.5lb to 1lb weight loss and eat back exercise calories. This would be at an activity level of little to no exercise, but you would manually add in exercise yourself. Or you could eat at your TDEE, exercise and depending on how much you burn, you should leave yourself 250 to 500 calories left at the end of the day for the same results.

There is also another option where you could set your activity level to the amount of days you exercise throughout the week and an intake of 250 to 500 less.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There are multiple school's of thought on weight loss. Both of them have sound principles

1. Eat More Weigh Less
    2. Eat Less Weight Less

1. As you eat less, your body recognizes the lack of calories and slows down the rate at which it expends energy....less energy coming, means it must be more efficient in how it uses it. You eat more calories for awhile to get the engine going again, then eat less...eat more...eat less, etc..etc.. "Starvation Mode" as it often called is one of the most overused, and least understood principles. If starvation mode were that important, why aren't there any fat starving refugee children? Starvation mode does exist, but it is way, way, down the road, so long as you have enough energy (fat) to use.

2. However you figure it out, mix it up, package it, low carb, high carb, low fat, high protein, etc.. You need a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a single pound. That is the only solid given fact among all diet plans....3500 calorie deficit = 1lb weight loss. Therefore if you have a net calorie deficit over a week period of time that equals to 3500 calories, you will have lost 1lb. Depending on how tall you are, how much you weigh now, will depend on how many calories you need to exist. BMR is a good estimate, as are other methods, none of them are 100%, but they are good estimates.

In the end it comes down to you, and what you are most comfortable with. If you've found a plan that suits your lifestyle 1000 - 1200 calories, and you're ok with low carb and higher protein, then stay with that, nothing wrong with it at all. If that plan is not working for you, look to change some things up....try a different plan.

Whatever you try, give it time to work, examine both diet, exercise, and .....sleep, make sure you have a balance of all three.

good luck!
  • nreamon
    nreamon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did a 1000 calories a day for a few months and I actually lost about 5 lbs. My body started getting use to it and I didnt feel so tired but I also didnt realize how bad it was for me. I stuck around 1100-1200 for the next 5 months and my weight was up and down within 7 lbs. I couldnt figure out what the heck was going on!!! So... Now I do around 1400 and I actually think im finally getting past my platuea!! Dont deprive your body of those nutrients. Eat more, Lose more Is VERY true.
    htttp://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator This site is awesome for figuring out where you should be
  • WarrantyVoider
    WarrantyVoider Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found that if I ever went under 1200 NET calories per day, my weight loss would stall. If i kept it between 1200-1400, I would lose 2.5 lbs per week.
    You have to use your NET calorie value, though. Not just counting food, otherwise your body will hold on to the fat.

I ate whatever I wanted as long as it fit into my calorie requirement. Carbs/Protein/Oreos, doesn't matter.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1000-1200 calorie diet.

Although I just went over the limit with a ~1250 calorie lunch. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6)

Oh, wait, you mean not PER MEAL but for the WHOLE DAY?!??? Oh heck no. That's crazy talk.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have done 1200 cals for 22 mths and have lost 102 lbs I dont usually eat back my exercise cals. if I have a really good workout sometimes I will eat back 100-200 cals (once in awhile). You probably should aim for at least 1200-1300 cals. Hope this helps. Stick with it you can do it
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    There are multiple school's of thought on weight loss. Both of them have sound principles

1. Eat More Weigh Less
    2. Eat Less Weight Less

1. As you eat less, your body recognizes the lack of calories and slows down the rate at which it expends energy....less energy coming, means it must be more efficient in how it uses it. You eat more calories for awhile to get the engine going again, then eat less...eat more...eat less, etc..etc.. "Starvation Mode" as it often called is one of the most overused, and least understood principles. If starvation mode were that important, why aren't there any fat starving refugee children? Starvation mode does exist, but it is way, way, down the road, so long as you have enough energy (fat) to use.

2. However you figure it out, mix it up, package it, low carb, high carb, low fat, high protein, etc.. You need a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a single pound. That is the only solid given fact among all diet plans....3500 calorie deficit = 1lb weight loss. Therefore if you have a net calorie deficit over a week period of time that equals to 3500 calories, you will have lost 1lb. Depending on how tall you are, how much you weigh now, will depend on how many calories you need to exist. BMR is a good estimate, as are other methods, none of them are 100%, but they are good estimates.

In the end it comes down to you, and what you are most comfortable with. If you've found a plan that suits your lifestyle 1000 - 1200 calories, and you're ok with low carb and higher protein, then stay with that, nothing wrong with it at all. If that plan is not working for you, look to change some things up....try a different plan.

Whatever you try, give it time to work, examine both diet, exercise, and .....sleep, make sure you have a balance of all three.

good luck!

Yep What he said:flowerforyou:

I really agree with him when he said "starvation mode" is way over used:drinker:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I almost spend in my Polar 600-1000 calories per day... !!!

so basically you're burning almost everything you eat through exercise, let alone normal daily activity.

sorry hun, but you are setting yourself up for failure.

if you are working out intensely you NEED to eat. check out the group eat more to weigh less.

I promise eating 1000-1200 calories a day and working out a lot is going to backfire, cause your weight loss to slow down, make you tired and irritable, lower your immune system, for long periods of time it will cause muscle atrophy, skin dullness, hair falling out etc. My guess is that a combination of all of these things will make you give up.

You say on your profile that getting healthy is one of your goals. I don't think eating 1000 calories a day while exercising is going to do that for you.

Please do yourself a favor, and treat your body in a healthy way.
  • becsks
    becsks Posts: 12
    Options
    I wonder if it's also the type of carbs you're choosing? When I eat processed carbs (sugar, ANY store-bought packaged bread, pasta, etc), I gain weight. When I choose complex carbs (quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal - not instant) it helps keep me full, satisfied, and on track for weight loss. Especially if you're working out a lot, carbs and protein both keep your body fueled. If I avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup (essentially any carb that comes pre-prepared in a box or bag) and white flour (choose whole grains), I find carbs are helpful for my meal plans.

Another question - are you getting your healthy fats (olive oil, omega-3 from fish, etc) in your planning? Those good fats add 100-200 calories today and help our bodies process food and nutrients. Think of it as lubrication for your entire system, adding health to your skin, hair, and internal organs too.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I too was on a low cal program <1,000 for about a month. I found that I did not have much energy for vigorous exercise you are describing. I upped my calories a bit and starting eating whole grain carbs and lost more weight then then I ate limited carbs.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The fear of undereating is terribly overblown here. It is not true that if you don't eat enough you will not lose weight. Turn on any reality weight loss show. They do extreme deficits and they lose weight at lightening speed.

It's a lot like the myth of the 'fat burning zone' with heart rates. You burn a higher % of fat but you burn less of it.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The fear of undereating is terribly overblown here. It is not true that if you don't eat enough you will not lose weight. Turn on any reality weight loss show. They do extreme deficits and they lose weight at lightening speed.

It only works in a short term. If you consistently stay with low calorie intake your metabolism will eventually slow down too to match your intake.
  • k8tls
    k8tls Posts: 23
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" as it often called is one of the most overused, and least understood principles. If starvation mode were that important, why aren't there any fat starving refugee children? Starvation mode does exist, but it is way, way, down the road, so long as you have enough energy (fat) to use.

THANK YOU! Someone finally said it perfectly!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

It's a lot like the myth of the 'fat burning zone' with heart rates. You burn a higher % of fat but you burn less of it.

fair enough. a lot of people do lose weight on VLCD. The fact of the matter is that there are healthier options to lose weight.

but whatever, do what you want. continue to eat your 1000 calories a day and wonder why you aren't losing. I'll be over here eating 1800+ calories enjoying my normal meals and enjoying extra energy and fueling my body so that it can be HEALTHY. oh and did I mention I still lose a pound or two a week?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.... you need to eat more or you simply won't have any energy and you won't lose weight, at least you won't lose fat, you might lose some muscle.