Muscle Soreness

Options
So, I've had muscle soreness since I've been doing serious workouts, burning 600+ calories a workout. I wouldn't mind the soreness because quite frankly the soreness quietly tells me "you did good today." But it really puts a damper on my motivation doing a next workout, just because it hurts! I've been working out everday, and with a trainer some of the days.

I just did a 60 minute cardio workout split up between the stair master, treadmill/weights, and the eliptical. I am sore, and on top of feeling the soreness from today I feel the soreness from my previous days' workouts. My muscles are pooped. I have a session with my trainer 8am. I don't want to seem like a weakling, or like I'm complaining.

Sorry for such a long reason for a simple question, what can I do to ease muscle soreness?

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Give your muscles a day to rest.

Drink lots and lots of water

Breathe deeply during your workouts (lactic acid).

Warm up and cool down.

Try warm soaks and I am a personal fan of Arnica gel.

Hope that helps.

D
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What is arnica gel?

I thought perhaps it was my shoes that was causing me to be so sore, plus my nikes were giving me horibble shin splints, well, I tossed the nikes and got some asics. Which, I love by the way, no more shin splints, but I'm still sore. I gave yesterday a rest so I could have a good workout today, but I'm as sore today as I was yesterday. I would have taken today off too, but I'm the type of person who if doesn't go everday or pretty much everyday, I'll put it off. "Oh tomorrow, oh tomorrow"

I'm glad I love water. Ha! I drink water like a fish.

Warm socks, I'll try tomorrow and see how that works as well as focus on breathing a little more.

Thanks for you input DeeDee.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ask a loved one for a nice massage, deep kneading, maybe some heat. This plan works out great for my wife, but it's never worked out for me. Hmmmmmm :huh:
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Oooooo....good idea.

I'm afraid, my DH is with you Casper. I get the messages, he gets dinner fed to him. See, 50/50. lol.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So, I've had muscle soreness since I've been doing serious workouts, burning 600+ calories a workout. I wouldn't mind the soreness because quite frankly the soreness quietly tells me "you did good today." But it really puts a damper on my motivation doing a next workout, just because it hurts! I've been working out everday, and with a trainer some of the days.

I just did a 60 minute cardio workout split up between the stair master, treadmill/weights, and the eliptical. I am sore, and on top of feeling the soreness from today I feel the soreness from my previous days' workouts. My muscles are pooped. I have a session with my trainer 8am. I don't want to seem like a weakling, or like I'm complaining.

Sorry for such a long reason for a simple question, what can I do to ease muscle soreness?

It can be tricky trying to accomplish a volume of quality exercise as part of a weight loss program. Ideally, your body needs to follow a varied routine--longer, easier days combined with medium "tempo" days, combined with harder interval days combined with rest days.

We find it hard sometimes to back off, because we are trying to push ourselves to burn as many calories as possible. Unfortunately, that can lead to diminishing returns--fatigue, overtraining, demotivation, soreness, injury and even plateauing.

You can try to build in recovery days where you do something lower level, but longer amounts of time to burn up some calories. I tried walking on the treadmill at a more leisurely pace for 1+ hours instead of sitting on the couch watching a particular TV show.

Or you need to build in some rest days.

Muscle soreness in not an inherently good thing. Sometimes it just happens if you are just starting or are ramping up your program or trying a new activity, but it is not something that should be routinely occurring. Once you get it, there's not much you can do except ride it out. Any palliative intervention--warm water, heating pad--is just temporary while you are applying it--it doesn't have any lasting effect and doesn't speed up the recovery process.

The best "cure" for muscle soreness is prevention--try not to get it in the first place. Soreness is caused by a load -- movement, resistance load, etc--that is greater than what your body is ready to handle. It is particularly associated with eccentric muscle contractions. It has nothing to do with lactic acid.
  • Azdak
    Options
    What is arnica gel?

I thought perhaps it was my shoes that was causing me to be so sore, plus my nikes were giving me horibble shin splints, well, I tossed the nikes and got some asics. Which, I love by the way, no more shin splints, but I'm still sore. I gave yesterday a rest so I could have a good workout today, but I'm as sore today as I was yesterday. I would have taken today off too, but I'm the type of person who if doesn't go everday or pretty much everyday, I'll put it off. "Oh tomorrow, oh tomorrow"

I'm glad I love water. Ha! I drink water like a fish.

Warm socks, I'll try tomorrow and see how that works as well as focus on breathing a little more.

Thanks for you input DeeDee.

If this is an initial case of muscle soreness, it typcally peaks in 48-72 hours and can take up to 5 days to completely resolve--maybe a little longer if you continue to push through it. I am not recommending that you take 5 days off--that can start the adaptation process all over again--just letting you know that the soreness doesn't go away in one day and the fact that one day of rest didn't make it any better is pretty typical.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Oooooo....good idea.

I'm afraid, my DH is with you Casper. I get the messages, he gets dinner fed to him. See, 50/50. lol.

I do the cooking in this house honey,,, :laugh:
  • Kpablo
    Options
    Well, not in this house. Sometimes, but not usually. Jeez...your wife has it GOOD.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Nah,,, she just doesn't have to cook. She's got plenty to put up with.

I take comfort in knowing that there is probably no cooler man the Jon Bon Jovi. Rich, famous, talented, handsome. And by all accounts, a genuinely great guy, good hubby & dad. And yet, despite all this,,, I'm certain Mrs. Bon Jovi believes that he is a total *kitten*. "No man is a hero to his valet" :smile:
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!!!!

no but seriously, soreness is associated with lactic acid build up in the muscles. being sore does give you the feeling of I did good today/yesterday, and gives you the feeling of taking a day off because you are in fact sore. BUT a better way to get that soreness our (that acid), is to actually make sure that you move around and workout again the next day. In collegiate football after full games, we would come in the next morning, beaten and bruised, and run 10x100 yard run (half speed), and hit a light weight session, with a full out stretch. After that next day hour workout, you felt like a million$$$$.

other than that, water, water, water, stretch, light weights, and more stretching and water
  • Azdak
    Options
    NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!!!!

no but seriously, soreness is associated with lactic acid build up in the muscles. being sore does give you the feeling of I did good today/yesterday, and gives you the feeling of taking a day off because you are in fact sore. BUT a better way to get that soreness our (that acid), is to actually make sure that you move around and workout again the next day. In collegiate football after full games, we would come in the next morning, beaten and bruised, and run 10x100 yard run (half speed), and hit a light weight session, with a full out stretch. After that next day hour workout, you felt like a million$$$$.

other than that, water, water, water, stretch, light weights, and more stretching and water

With all due respect, muscle soreness has NOTHING to do with lactic acid. That is a discredited notion that was refuted in the early 1980s, primarily through the work of Brooks and Fahey.

While lactate accumulation is associated with muscle fatigue, lactic acid is not a "waste product", nor does it "build up" in muscles. Lactic acid is a dynamic metabolite that is used in a number ways--from direct oxidation to glycogen synthesis and it cleared rather quickly post-exercise.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    remove lactic acid from what I've said then, all the rest is true.
  • Lizzard70
    Options
    Inquiry minds want to know:laugh: no one has said anything about ibuprofen???? I take a few when ive had aching soreness due to workouts. Along with good stretching and plenty of water and keeping mobile when at times im in pain.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes take ibuprofin for muscle soreness, so you are not alone.

You asked what Arnica is...

Arnica and Arnica gel are homeopathic remedies that are specifically for bruising and muscle soreness. I find it helps me tremendously. You can find it at any health food store and some grocery stores like Wegmans' or drugstores will carry it too.

Hope you are feeling better today!
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You may want to split your workouts up. Arms one day Legs another, abs or some kind of mix. Your muscles do need time to heal. Each workout tears the micro-fibers of the muscle and then they need to heal.