Confession

Options
I am a huge wimp when it comes to running.

As a kid, I used to run all the time - but since I was a teenager, I've had a tough time with running. Unless I can be tricked into running (i.e., playing soccer or something), I feel like I hate it - running laps or on the treadmill feels so miserable. I'm pretty busty, so my back starts hurting sometimes, and when I feel strained, I slow to a walk.

The thing is, there have been brief periods of happiness with running - like when I played soccer, or when I was a senior in highchool and went to the gym every day. I usually did my cardio on the elliptical, but after a month or two, I remember thinking it would be fun to add some walking to the end of that...walking which built up to full-out running. I lost a lot of weight around that time and was probably the healthiest and slimmest that I've ever been. But then there was college and, well, the rest is history.

I'm back to hating running, but I want to conquer that! I want to be athletic, and fast, and to remember how much I loved running around as a kid. I want to have a runner's body again, to feel the strength in my legs and the endorphines after a good work out.

But how? I've started the C25k thing a couple of times but have never gotten past the first week. How do I differentiate between "wimping out from strain when I should push through and work hard" and "pushing myself too hard, too fast"? What are other exercises I can do that will build up my resilience and strength on off-days from running? I don't have any equipment and don't belong to a gym; I've been toying with the idea of doing pilates, but I feel kind of stupid about it, like I don't know how to do it right. Then again, maybe everyone goes through that at first?

Thoughts, anyone?

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some people aren't ready to move on quite on schedule when doing the C25k. So do week 1 again. Then try week 2. Keep going. You can do it.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hated running until about a year ago. I think what got me over it was setting small goals then reaching those. Progress SLOWLY or you will regret it - lots of pain and potential injuries from doing too much too soon. You'll only set yourself back and get discouraged.

Don't expect too much of yourself starting out. I started on a treadmill and couldn't run a full minute, so I started with a 5 minute goal, then worked up to running a half mile, then a mile, and eventually up to 5 miles at a time. Stop paying attention to what "other people" are doing and just go at your own pace and you will improve gradually.

I still run but I do strength training as well. Running is good for you but it's not a well-rounded workout, really I think it's best for your heart/lungs but it only tones your legs a little bit and that's it. You have to work your muscles all over in addition to running.

I don't belong to a gym either - I'm lucky to have a treadmill at work, but I rely mostly on good DVD workouts at home. Right now I'm loving Bob Harper's workouts (so tough!) - they are only $5 a piece on his website.
  • jaroyan
    jaroyan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with tigerlily8045 on that one. When starting any training, the schedule you're given is a guideline not a hard and fast rule. If you can't run for a minute and you begin to push yourself harder and faster, you'll never stick with it. I've never done the program (C25k) myself, but have used Nike+ and Shape magazine's programs before for walk-to-run. If you've never really run before, you may need more of a break than the 90 seconds C25k is giving you. What's most important, if you really want to become a runner, is doing it at a pace that you can enjoy it and still not feel like dying. I started out with Nike+ about four years ago as I was looking for more of a challenge from my workouts. I've run one full marathon, three halfs, and numerous road races when I lived in NYC and still love running every bit as much as I did when I started.

Keep up the great work and remember to go at YOUR pace, and you'll get there faster than you ever imagined. I wish you all the best in this endeavor - if you need any tips or have questions (or suggestions) let me know.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/training-plans/5k-walk-run-training-plan
  • squidlebees
    squidlebees Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called Running for Women that my sister has - she loaned it to me when I was trying to get on board with running. I always hated it, particularly because my dad would set goals for us that I would always fail. But it's a pretty great book, and it's encouraging! I liked its running plan for building up to running for 30 minutes straight. It doesn't address distance, which is nice because it means you can "run" as slowly as you like. Which is what I did, and it worked! Once I ran to the library from my apartment. It took me a million years to walk back, disgustingly sweaty and hot and weird-looking, but I was super-proud of myself. Now I'm not anti-running at all, although I'm not the sort to do marathons. You can do it! I know you've got the stubbornness somewhere in there! That's what it was for me, I think. Tapping in to that inner bullheadedness.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. Ever. Not long distance. And I'm currently on week 5 of C25K and loving it. I'm 5'7" 210lbs (started C25K at 219), and I just had a baby two months ago. If my chubby out of shape body that hadn't had ANY exercise AT ALL for 9+ month can do this, you can. The first time I did it I was sweating buckets. My knees hurt for the first week or two, and I had mixed advice from "lose more weight before starting C25K" to "push through it!" I felt like a big fat blob trying to do something only crazy little fit people do. Well, here I am at week 5 kicking *kitten* pushing through it, and I'm actually excited (!) to do my first 20 minute run at the end of this week. It's so doable. You just have to decide you want to make it happen. I also just started 30 Day Shred today to do on my off days from running. It's cardio mixed with strength training for arms, legs, and abs. I'm thinking I've found a good system for me. Before I started the 30DS I was just doing decently paced walks on a major incline on my treadmill to work different muscles and build strength on my non-C25K days.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I hate running. With a passion. But I found other forms of exercise I love.