Can you overdo Fiber and Protein

Options
This is only my second day using Myfitnesspal. Yesterday I went over my goal on Fiber and Protein and today I have already exceeded my fiber goal. Are these things I should be concerned about? I mean fiber and protein are good right? I am NOT exceeding my calories or fat.

Replies

• leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As for me, I often pass over my proteins and fiber goals. (fibers everyday, proteins a times a week)

I'm not any kind of doctors, but from what i understand, this isn't a problem!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You will find that most people on this site that are working out do go over their protein goal. I don't see that having more fiber would be a bad thing either.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Going over on fiber is not really an issue unless you are experiencing intestinal distress from it. Some people need to increase more slowly when first beginning a healthier diet.

Going over on protein is not really an issue unless you have kidney issues or other medical issues. Many feel that MFP's protein guidelines are low anyway.

Both of these should be viewed as minimum rather than maximum -- in other words, you want to be in the red.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you're over on protein, would you share your secrets? :)
    I'm doing 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein, and I almost NEVER eat enough protein! It's a real weakness for me.

You're doing well!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It bugs me that anything over is red and therefore looks bad. The fiber is set as a minimum. You can't get too much (assuming it isn't from creepy sources like Fiber One bars that just make you fart.) Fiber from fruits, veggies, legumes, grains etc. is always a good thing. And I've heard from several people that they think the protein goal is set too low on here, and that they have reset their goals to "custom", upping their protein and decreasing carbs. Another thing I don't worry about is fat as long as it's from avocado, olive oil, nuts... Good fat.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I average 225g of protein and 50g of fiber a day and I haven't died.

Yet.
  • lindserly
    lindserly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't show a fiber count, why is that? (new to mfp)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Protines something that doesn't bother me when I go a little over it, because it is generally a 'slow digestive' nutrional part, which means I won't be hungry in the long and short of things.

It is the devil, known as Sodium, that I must watch out. With my family's history of heart problems...
  • doug1204
    doug1204 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fiber isn't the default setting. Go to your Food tab, click Settings and add fiber to your breakdowns.
  • DianneOfTheMoon
    DianneOfTheMoon Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you're over on protein, would you share your secrets? :)
    I'm doing 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein, and I almost NEVER eat enough protein! It's a real weakness for me.

You're doing well!

Natural chicken and turkey are high in protein with 0 carbs, make sure to read the label, you also may want to incorporate a protein shake, I do 50 carbs max and minimum of 100 protein and I'm normally around 115 at the end of the day for my protein, feel free to add me and check out my diary!
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    It bugs me that anything over is red and therefore looks bad. The fiber is set as a minimum. You can't get too much (assuming it isn't from creepy sources like Fiber One bars that just make you fart.) Fiber from fruits, veggies, legumes, grains etc. is always a good thing. And I've heard from several people that they think the protein goal is set too low on here, and that they have reset their goals to "custom", upping their protein and decreasing carbs. Another thing I don't worry about is fat as long as it's from avocado, olive oil, nuts... Good fat.
    ^^^Agree! And MFP is the best site ever but has it's flaw's #1. Setting everyone at 1200 calories a day=bad! #2 & 3 too low on fiber and protein. Women should get at least 25g fiber daily and as far a protein you are doing great if you consume the # of grams that match the amount of lean body mass that you are carrying. Example, I am at about 109 pounds LBM so I try to get 109g protein.
    Peace!
  • MisterOtter
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I was just researching this very topic this afternoon. The general concensus is that going over on proteins is not harmful, it won't accelerate or otherwise improve your weight loss / muscle gain process either. The body does not store excess protein, and if you go more than double your intake you have the potential of the excess being stored as fat.

Found this handy calculation in order to determine your appropriate protein intake:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

The important thing to note is the range of .8 - 1.8. Use the lower number if you are sedentary, and the higher number if you are extremely active. So for example, if you weigh 200lbs, divide that by 2.2. That results in 90.9. Multiply that by your activity level. If you are sedentary, let's say it's .8. So, 90.9 * .8 = 72.7. That is how many grams of protein you can reasonably add into your diet. You'd really only have to worry if you were taking in more than double that.

Hope this helps!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    ***sighs*** your diary is closed, how much protein and fiber are you talking about?
    If your "doing" the VLCD that MFP suggests no. With more fiber (around 20-30 grams) drink more water (not diet drinks).
    Protein average 0.8-1.0 grams per LEAN body mass-unless you or your family have some type of kidney problem.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Yet.

Having a Sister on Dialysis from IGA Kidney Failure, I can tell you this. Your body can process 30gms of protein per hour, and after weight training, up 45 or 50gms per hour. However, the max per day that your body can process is 230gms...give or take a few.

So while you may not notice anything wrong, you could very well be killing your kidney's, and if you didn't know what to look for, you would never know the signs.

For building muscle, you need .75 - .90 gms of protein per pound of body weight. So at 177, I would need around 150gms per day.

Long story shortened....YES, you can over do it on Protein (not sure about Fiber)
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be a bad thing... Here is what I have found with some research.

If you consume too much fiber it may cause:
    - Bloating
    - Cramps
    - Diarrhea
    - Constipation
    - Malabsorption
    - Gas
    - Intestinal Blockage

If you consume too much protein it may cause:
    - Weight Gain
    - Intestinal Irritation
    - Dehydration
    - Seizures (if not enough water is consumed)
    - Increased liver enzymes
    - Nutritional deficiencies
    - Kidney problems
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't show a fiber count, why is that? (new to mfp)

click Food tab...click Settings...Change "Nutrients Tracked"
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I unlocked my diary so you can look at it but as I said there are only two days on there. I have always eaten high in protein. I love meat and eggs and just recently I have been mixing Kashi Go-lean twigs in my yogurt. Its like 10g protein. Uping my fiber is more recent. Since I'm eating more fruits and veg's it's high also the Kashi is high in fiber. Also to alleviate any major concerns I am not way over on either. I just wanted to know how close we need to come to the goals.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You're fine. (just looked).

A lot of people like to eat a fair bit more protein anyway. The scary symptoms listed above happen at extremely excessive rates -- also, fiber can constipate you if you don't drink enough liquids. 25g is a very common recommendation for women for fiber and you had 26 yesterday -- mfp seems to go off a different number based on your calorie goal.
  • petramartin
    Options

What about sugar ?if its most from veggie and fruits? I always have the sugar red
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Yet.

Having a Sister on Dialysis from IGA Kidney Failure, I can tell you this. Your body can process 30gms of protein per hour, and after weight training, up 45 or 50gms per hour. However, the max per day that your body can process is 230gms...give or take a few.

So while you may not notice anything wrong, you could very well be killing your kidney's, and if you didn't know what to look for, you would never know the signs.

For building muscle, you need .75 - .90 gms of protein per pound of body weight. So at 177, I would need around 150gms per day.

Long story shortened....YES, you can over do it on Protein (not sure about Fiber)

This is extremely helpful. Thank you!