Donated blood and running

Options
HRBush
HRBush Posts: 72 Member
This morning I donated blood but was planning on jogging around my neighborhood a little bit this evening. I had an Italian lunch afterwards (provided by work for all of us involved in the donating) and I have been drinking water but I still feel tired. Can I still attempt a jog after work or should I take it easy tonight.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This morning I donated blood but was planning on jogging around my neighborhood a little bit this evening. I had an Italian lunch afterwards (provided by work for all of us involved in the donating) and I have been drinking water but I still feel tired. Can I still attempt a jog after work or should I take it easy tonight.

I normally wait a day before running.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would probably wait too. Then again, the last few times I donated blood I was laid out for a day (ie couldn't get out of bed). I had to quit donating because of it.
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I've made that mistake before. I donated at about 10 a.m. It usually takes me a while to recover because I am small and have low blood pressure. But I went running after 6 p.m. that day thinking it was long enough, but I felt like I was going to die. Take the day off and eat lots of iron and go to bed early. You don't really realize how much it takes out of you, but it takes a while to recover.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'd probably take the day off too, you've generated enough good karma for one day. Maybe go for a walk if you feel the need to keep moving?
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I being a runner also would just do very light jogging and if you start to feel dizzy or sick, stop and walk back to your place and take it easy for the night. If you donated blood in the morning then you should be able to do a light jog workout but I would not run at all in case your body is not ready for a strenuous workout. :smile: enjoy
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You just removed a portion of your blood supply from your body. Why take a chance and try to run? You stand to gain very little, but may risk passing out or just having a crappy run.

Why not take the day off?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    No. Canadian Blood Services' official stance is no strenuous exercise 6-8 hours after donating but, if you are still tired, do yourself a favour and give your body time to recover.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you're still feeling sluggish, I would not run. A relaxed walk would probably be fine.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No strenuous exercise the rest of the day. You want yourself to heal, including your puncture wound and your blood supply.

I'm pretty sure they're adamant about the no exercise thing every time I donate.
  • HRBush
    HRBush Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have emailed my friend to tell her that I won't be running tonight (I was the one that asked her to join haha) and that I will see her in the morning for 3 miles. Tonight I'm going to go home, kick my feet up, and relax.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I donated blood and then did Jazzercise full intensity and got light headed. Take it easy.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have emailed my friend to tell her that I won't be running tonight (I was the one that asked her to join haha) and that I will see her in the morning for 3 miles. Tonight I'm going to go home, kick my feet up, and relax.

Good call. After all, if you get dizzy and fall and cut yourself badly, they'll have to give you your blood back (and they'll charge you for it!) and then the donation was pointless.

I think I read somewhere that blood donation requires something like 600 calories to recover from. While you're resting, enjoy 600 protein and iron-rich calories. You've earned them.