Any Drinkers Out There?

Options
I have no problem keeping my calories under 1200 per day... it's just the drinking that throws everything off. Although I drink Lite beer, I still love my Jack & Diet. Are there any other whiskey drinkers out there that can provide alternate suggestions? I'm sure many of you will suggest getting rid of alcohol altogether... but that's much easier said than done.

Replies

• JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink Jack and Coke Zero. Cuts out the calories from the soda anyway. Haha.
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    um...get rid of alcohol? yea right...lol....
    just drink less often. I drink either Friday or Saturday. It's my reward for all the hard work.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    it might be a good idea, but i would definitely not give up alcohol! i try to do red wine or liquor (vodka or bourbon) as much as possible. definitely cut out any calories in mixers (like, i NEVER drink margaritas). if i know i'm going to go out for a big night i just try to make sure i burn a bunch of calories that day. also, try to eat as good as i can.
  • mittyerica
    mittyerica Posts: 13
    Options
    Try to cut it out until the weekend? Or, go with mixed drinks where you can use diet soda/tonic/etc. Beer and fruity drinks have a lot of sugar and/or carbs. It is hard.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I like my whiskey straight. Jameson shots are only 70 calories :)
  • becsks
    becsks Posts: 12
    Options
    I just joined MFP, which means I'm admitting I can't have that after work beer anymore. Boo. But I refuse to give up my beer and wine entirely, and your jack and diet sounds pretty good as a drink option! I just workout and save some drinking calories for the weekend. They're worth it. We need treats. This is a lifestyle, not a temporary diet.

lower calorie drink options include: white wine versus red, light beer, liquor mixed with diet soda or soda water (I often have a vodka with soda water and lime.) Avoid all fancy cocktails like margaritas because they are calorie bombs (unless you make it at home with fresh lime juice). If you really like the taste of whiskey, you might go for nicer quality liquor and have it on the rocks.

Bonus when you're healthy though: you become more of a lightweight so you need less booze for a buzz!
  • pixiecrisp
    Options
    I love whiskey too but when I'm dieting I TRY to stick to gin or vodka. If I'm on a crazy kick I'll go so far as to buy 3. It's a zero calorie soy vodka.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's fine to drink and go over calories now and then, just don't do it every day. Splurging on alcohol once a week isn't going to be massively detrimental to your weight loss; it's less about alternatives and more about moderation when it comes to drinking (:
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Patron shots work for me!
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    More of a gulper!!! MMMM Beeer!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I like my whiskey straight. Jameson shots are only 70 calories :)

Mmm. Jameson.
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    no offense, but under 1200 calories a day seems like wayyyyy too little? maybe its cause I weigh 200 lbs, LOL
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    Don't try to stay under 1200.......work out more = more calories to play with :)
  • AimeeLynn90
    Options
    I just try to limit it as much as I can.. Though that doesn't work as often cause if I drink one, I'll have 13. Hahaha! So I'll usually, if I decide to drink I'll save it for a designated day. One day won't hurt! Plus it's something to look forward to! :)
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've switched from beer/margaritas/whiskey/rum/beer/daquiris/long beaches/long islands/beer.. wait, did I say beer yet? (Give me a break, I'm a Wisconsinite!) to vodka.

When I go out with friends (boating, camping, etc) I bring my own booze. I bring Voli, Skinnygirl, or Little Black Dress Vodka and use Crystal Light lemonade or raspberry lemonade as a mixer.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i drank about 900 calories at a party on saturday, ate pretty well, exercised, and stayed under my calorie goal of 1410. stick with jack & diet, if you're going to drink. it's 65-90 calories per drink, depending on how you pour, & a few of those can easily be budgeted for throughout the day. i mean, it's possible to drink -- get drunk, even -- and still successfully lose weight. but, like everything else, it needs to be done in moderation. alcohol has a lot of seriously negative effects on your body, & not just the obvious ones, but ones that actually affect your ability to lose weight.
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't give up the alcohol I like... I'm sorry but my margaritas are just aren't going anywhere because I'm dieting. Instead, I choose to drink less often (one night a week as opposed to three) and make sure to eat high volume, low calorie foods the day I decide to go drinking. It's saved me not only a ton of calories, but also a fair chunk of change haha.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Nah don't cut out drinking....hell I never will...I drink on Saturday it's my cheat/reward day:)

Drink what you like it's all about control...Have a few and enjoy:)
  • saral8981
    saral8981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also, bump for later reading
  • mkgrayson
    mkgrayson Posts: 17
    Options
    Keep it simple:
    Scotch (I prefer a good single malt) - 103 cal.
    Vodka Soda Lime - 103 cal.

Yuengling Light - 99 cal.
    Miller Lite - 96 cal.
    Bud light wheat - 118 cal.

Get your Veg.
    Bloody Mary (big one) - 250 cal.

I try to manage so that I drink on days with a big deficit. Also, the toughest part, I have tried to cut way back during the week.

Best of luck and STAY HAPPY!