OMG! How much fat did I just consume!

Options
I thought I was really making a decent choice for lunch today and went to Jason's Deli. I chose the manager's special which consisted of half of a chicago club sandwich, small bag of chips, cup of tomato basil soup, and a pickle spear. I never could have imagined how much fat - not to mention saturated fat - was in that meal. I know the chips are bad but seriously how much fat would you think is in tomato soup? Apparantly there was 14 g. Also, the sandwich had fresh spinach and tomatoes with turkey which seemed like a good choice. OMG! 25 grams of fat! A whopping 50 g for the regular sized sandwich. I have just ruined my entire day by eating this. Thank goodness tomorrow is another day. I wish I would have read the nutrition info before eating lunch today. Can anyone please make me feel better about this?

Replies

• danielley08
    Options
    When eating out everyone is bound to make a bad decsion. I used to think the Turkey Avocado burger at Ruby Tuesday's was a good choice. Yeahhhh. Rrrrright.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Just don't give in and ruin the rest of your meals today. Stay on the good side!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    These things just happen. Don't go too crazy on yourself. Just try and make good decisions the rest of the day. =)
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    yea i noticed when eating out my fat content along with everything else is higher.....they use whipping cream i believe in tomato soup or heavy cream.....thats what gives it such a good flavor i think...but it was only one day....dont dwell on it too much hun :flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I used to get a chicken cabanera sandwish and chips at quizno's a couple times a week. I thought it was a some what healthy choice.

Google it and figure out why I USED to get this. I haven't had one since I read the nutrition facts on it 10 months ago. In fact I don't think I've stepped into a Quizno's since reading their nutrition facts.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    That's how we learn! We have all had that moment of thinking something should be a healthier choice and finding out afterwards that cake and ice cream would have hurt less :laugh: Oh, well, chalk it up to a learning experience, do your best to be good for the rest of today and get a walk in after dinner!
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    Sucks, doesn't it?!:laugh:
    That has happened to me before.
    I think eating out is difficult! You either have to do your research before hand, or be ok with not knowing exactly what's in the food you eat! Sometimes what seems healthy really isn't.
    Sometimes restaurants will provide light options or be able to assist you in making a better food choice.
    Don't sweat it! It's just one meal.
    Make a nice light dinner tonight and perhaps go for a walk, and you'll be fine!
    Best,
    -OB:flowerforyou:
  • Colie
    Colie Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't let it get you down, my days are always shot when I go out to eat. But like you said tomorrow is a new day :happy:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I would have a super light dinner - like lots of steamed veggies and a small portion of lean protein (that would be around 200 calories) and call it a day.

During my weight loss on here, I have had many meals out that were around 1000 calories, and it just meant a very very light dinner!

It does not in any mean a set back - it may even feel very freeing! That you can still indulge every once in a while, and it wont do damage (or the damage can be controlled!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that's why if you want to stay at a healthy weight you have to say no to eating out. I always work out LIKE CRAZY if I know that I'm going to be eating out that day. Or, I just don't eat out. Its alot easier to make your own meals and know what is going into the preparation. Just like most chicken dishes you get at a restaurant... usually cooked with lots of oil or butter.

There's just no such thing as a "healthy" choice at restaurants!
  • bampitt
    bampitt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my last child, I had gestational diabetes. My husband and I ate out a great deal then and I had to go online and look at the nutrition of the different restaurants we frequented. I am now able to go into just about any restaurant and order healthy and I discovered which restaurants to avoid.

I am eating out tomorrow night with friends and I already have my workout planned and which meal I will order. :smile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that's why if you want to stay at a healthy weight you have to say no to eating out. I always work out LIKE CRAZY if I know that I'm going to be eating out that day. Or, I just don't eat out. Its alot easier to make your own meals and know what is going into the preparation. Just like most chicken dishes you get at a restaurant... usually cooked with lots of oil or butter.

Ouch, gotta disagree with you on the "say no to eating out". That's just not realistic for me. There's pretty much always something that you can have. Ask for it to be grilled without added fat. Watch portions. Maybe split it with someone. Take home half. Don't eat half and just let them take it away.

The important thing for me is to do some research BEFORE I get to the restaurant (if it's one I haven't been to before). In this day and age you can pretty much always find the menu on line.

But to never eat out again? Nah.
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's a learning process... there have been lots of things I entered and :noway:

Things I've learned are to do some research before heading out and how to plan ahead with the rest of my meals. I knew last weekend we would be stopping at a fast food restaurant while we were out and about, so I went to various chain's websites to see what on the menu would do the least amount of damage =) Most major chains have the nutrition values on their websites and a lot of them are already entered here. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm going out with a friend tonight and after we decided where we were going (panera) I spent 1/2 an hour trying to figure out what I was going to get there and then planed out the rest of the day to match. Sigh. It's hard! Off to the gym to make sure I have enough calories to spend!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ,,,,,,half of a chicago club sandwich, ,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,, Also, the sandwich had fresh spinach and tomatoes with turkey which seemed like a good choice. OMG! 25 grams of fat! A whopping 50 g for the regular sized sandwich.,,,,,,,

Club is usually turkey/ham/bacon - plus about a quart of mayo (real mayo - eggs & oil - at 11 fat grams per tbsp). The Mayo and the Bacon is what got you. Next time ask for double ham-no bacon,,, and hold the mayo, and you've got a much better deal.

You can eat out, you just gotta be careful. Wife and I are regulars at a couple places, and our orders are never simple - but we're nice about it and we tip well so the servers don't mind and try to get it right for us.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Ouch, gotta disagree with you on the "say no to eating out". That's just not realistic for me. There's pretty much always something that you can have. Ask for it to be grilled without added fat. Watch portions. Maybe split it with someone. Take home half. Don't eat half and just let them take it away.

The important thing for me is to do some research BEFORE I get to the restaurant (if it's one I haven't been to before). In this day and age you can pretty much always find the menu on line.

I agree, going out to eat is possibly one of my favorite things to do....sitting around with friends and family, talking and laughing over good food and having someone serve me! I'd rather stay fat if I could NEVER eat out.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I ate 175g of fat yesterday.

Beat THAT people.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

Beat THAT people.

Wow,,, lard sandwich?

I just went back thru my diary, and I seem to eat about 70 to 80 grams a day. I eat too much carbs, trying to go lighter on those. More protein protein protein,,, :bigsmile:
  • joturbin
    Options
    Yea, imagine my surprise when I found out my Jimmy John's veggie sandwich I was so proud of eating had almost 700 calories! When I looked online AFTER I ate it I found out if I had asked for it without Mayo it would have cut about 300 calories off of it....but I have to say it was a REALLY REALLY good sandwich.:wink:
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Beat THAT people.

WOW!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: That is 1575 calories of fat alone!!!:sick: :sick: :sick:
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Good ideas - I agree - life for me, without eating out, would be impossible (we travel a lot!!) and we enjoy it, and there are many many healthy choices at restaurants. I've lost around 20 lbs in 3 months, and I've eaten out at least 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe more. There are lots of healthy choices out there - do your research, ask questions of the server, and even ask to speak with the chef.

You can pretty much never go wrong with lean grilled meat, steamed veggies, a salad, and some oil and vinegar on the side.
    :flowerforyou: