Can you overdo Fiber and Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Setting everyone at 1200 calories a day=bad!
    "Everyone" does that to themselves by setting a higher weight loss goal.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be a bad thing... Here is what I have found with some research.

If you consume too much fiber it may cause:
    - Bloating
    - Cramps
    - Diarrhea
    - Constipation
    - Malabsorption
    - Gas
    - Intestinal Blockage

If you consume too much protein it may cause:
    - Weight Gain
    - Intestinal Irritation
    - Dehydration
    - Seizures (if not enough water is consumed)
    - Increased liver enzymes
    - Nutritional deficiencies
    - Kidney problems

This is helpful! Thank you!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein and nearly double my fiber almost EVERY day. So far, it's worked out well for me! Every now and then, when I go over 40 grams or so of fiber, I will give myself a little tummy distress. It doesn't happen often. The more you eat, the more you build up a tolerance for it. Good luck here at MFP. It's totally changed my life!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're over on protein, would you share your secrets? :)
    I'm doing 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein, and I almost NEVER eat enough protein! It's a real weakness for me.

You're doing well!

Me as well. Same ratio and I always end up around 23-26 protein, no matter how much meat I feel I'm eating ;(
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    In things like my yogurt and cereal I specifically look for things high in fiber and protein. And my lean cuisine choices for lunch but I think I will have to give those up because of the high sodium.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    As a nurse I've taken care of ppl on dialysis and they are always on a high protein diet with protein supplements (nepro, whey, etc) Why is that? If high protein is bad for kidneys? I have always wondered?

Plus the protein set on MFP is pretty low IMHO. I've been trying to increase my intake.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I average 225g of protein and 50g of fiber a day and I haven't died.

Yet.

Having a Sister on Dialysis from IGA Kidney Failure, I can tell you this. Your body can process 30gms of protein per hour, and after weight training, up 45 or 50gms per hour. However, the max per day that your body can process is 230gms...give or take a few.

So while you may not notice anything wrong, you could very well be killing your kidney's, and if you didn't know what to look for, you would never know the signs.

For building muscle, you need .75 - .90 gms of protein per pound of body weight. So at 177, I would need around 150gms per day.

Long story shortened....YES, you can over do it on Protein (not sure about Fiber)

Got any sources to back up that info? I'm slightly skeptical as it sounds like complete BS.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

"The Renal Diet- Protein
    Before making any changes to your diet, make sure you discuss them with your doctor or dietitian.
    Diet plays an important role in the management of kidney disease. The diet your physician will ask you to follow will be based upon your level of kidney function, your body size, and any other medical conditions you may have. Your diet may be helpful in delaying the need for dialysis.
    Protein is needed to maintain muscles, aid in building resistance to infections, and repair and replace body tissue.
    As your body breaks down protein foods, waste products called urea are formed. As kidney function declines, urea builds up in the bloodstream.
    Eating to much protein may cause urea to build up more quickly. This will make you feel sick.
    Eating less protein may be helpful in reducing your blood urea levels.
    Reducing protein intake must be monitored by your doctor and dietician.
    Examples of foods high in protein are:
    • Meat
    • Poultry
    • Milk Products
    • Eggs
    Foods low in protein includes the following:
    • Fresh beans (pinto, kidney, navy)
    • Grains
    • Vegetables
    You need both high quality and low quality protein in your diet. Your physician will determine how much protein should be in your diet."

http://www.mcw.edu/Nephrology/ClinicalServices/DietforRenalPatient.htm#.T86X6rBDySo
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Im usually over in fiber and protein. I think in general thats a good thing, just dont take it too far.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I average 225g of protein and 50g of fiber a day and I haven't died.

Yet.

Having a Sister on Dialysis from IGA Kidney Failure, I can tell you this. Your body can process 30gms of protein per hour, and after weight training, up 45 or 50gms per hour. However, the max per day that your body can process is 230gms...give or take a few.

So while you may not notice anything wrong, you could very well be killing your kidney's, and if you didn't know what to look for, you would never know the signs.

For building muscle, you need .75 - .90 gms of protein per pound of body weight. So at 177, I would need around 150gms per day.

Long story shortened....YES, you can over do it on Protein (not sure about Fiber)
    A number of health risks have been attributed to the consumption of high protein intakes, this includes potential problems with the kidneys, bone health, metabolic acidosis and certain types of cancers. For the most part, these risks tend to be extremely overstated.

While high protein intakes may cause problems when there is pre-existing kidney disease, no research suggests that high protein intakes cause kidney damage. While there is potential for high protein intakes to cause body calcium loss, this appears to only occur when calcium intake is insufficient in the first place; high protein intakes with high calcium intakes improves bone health. Ensuring sufficient vegetable intake along with a high protein intake is a key aspect not only to bone health but to preventing a small metabolic acidosis which may occur when large amounts of protein are consumed by themselves.

Concerns over heart disease and cancer are more related to the high fat content of many cuts of meat, along with other nutritional factors such as insufficient fruit and vegetable intake that contributes. Other lifestyle factors that typically accompany the consumption of higher fat cuts of meat are also a likely contributor to the overall health risk. The consumption of lean cuts of meat has actually been shown to improve overall health; both athletic and diets for general health should ideally contain plenty of fruits and vegetables for this reason.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html

I don't like going by body weight. Part of body weight is fat, no need to fuel the fat. LBM should be used. My LBM is 210lbs. Most authorities recommend from 0.5-1.25g of protein per LBM

I do like the idea of using Lean Body Mass (LBM), instead of total mass...
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you're over on protein, would you share your secrets? :)
    I'm doing 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein, and I almost NEVER eat enough protein! It's a real weakness for me.

You're doing well!

Sometimes I eat 350g of protein, the solution is simple. Eat more protein,

lol! You sound like my husband genre of coach: "Just eat less and exercise more". I get it, but what I don't get is why it's so hard for me to do what I know I should do!
  • thisisforever21
    Options
    I'm doing the eat more to weigh less type of diet, and I used calculations that people were recommending there. (TDEE for cals and then manually entering your percentage of Carbs 40%, Protein 30%, and Fat 30%.) The numbers it gives me for my daily goals seem very high. Would anyone mind checking out my diary and let me know if I'm overdoing these? I'm still early on in this, so I'd like to make sure I'm not causing more harm than good. I definitely don't want to gain any weight because I'm doing it wrong.

Thank you in advance :)