when does one plateau?

I'm currently on day 33 and have lost just over 9lbs

.I'm fearing the dreaded plateau since I heard t happens usually after 6 weeks

I would love to continue to lose 2lbs/week if possible :tongue:

I was just wondering if EVERYONE experiences this PLATEAU and if there is anything I could do to avoid it.

Replies

• jlockie
    jlockie Posts: 1
    I seem to have plateaued now that I only have a couple of kilos to go but it definatley starts of fast and slows down as you have less to loose, time to mix up the exercise and food but im really struggling I have 3.8kgs to my goal about 8lbs
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    ive just come out of one, its the body's way of evening out. I just boosted up the exercise and rethought the diet. Ive lost 5 stone just over now but still have some to go, take it week by week day by day and dont see probs before they happen. good luck.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    I got to my goal weight and lost nearly 70 pounds and didnt plateau, no point stressing about something that might not happen :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I got to my goal weight and lost nearly 70 pounds and didnt plateau, no point stressing about something that might not happen :)
    That's great - can you share what you did - calorie deficit, exercise regime, any food restrictions etc. Thx.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    I used to eat really badly, lots of junk, lots of carbs, huge portions and not much exercise

I basically started logging what I ate, reduced my portions alot and dropped some but not all of the junk food. I walked every day for at least half an hour, and some days went for longer walks. I did some of the bodyrock.tv workouts and Jillians 30 day shred and Ripped in 30. stuck to around 1200-1400 and ate my exercise cals when i felt like it, I was a bit low often on my weekdays but I always ate more on the weekends and it evened out in the long term

I've been maintaining for a few months, I still eat too much junk but I eat smaller portions and learnt some form of self control lol!

Its not the strictest healthiest diary out there, but its a realistic lifestyle for me now
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I'm currently on day 33 and have lost just over 9lbs

.I'm fearing the dreaded plateau since I heard t happens usually after 6 weeks

I would love to continue to lose 2lbs/week if possible :tongue:

I was just wondering if EVERYONE experiences this PLATEAU and if there is anything I could do to avoid it.

No, not everybody plateaus, however, weightloss may slow down. Providing you eat/drink less calories than you use up daily, you will continue to lose weight.

Some weeks you may lose 2lb, other weeks the loss may be less (or more).

If your diet is working, do not change it, just stick to it and you will eventually reach your goal.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    If you plateau, you'll probably do it when your body gets used to what you're doing exercise wise and adjusts to your regular intake.

If you want to avoid a plateau you should incorporate a good strength building routine that gets progressively harder. Same with your cardio. When it gets easier, find a way to make it harder.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    been on this journey for 4 months and haven't plateaued yet. however, I've had weeks where I haven't lost, or I have gained. that wasn't a plateau, but rather me not putting in the required effort to lose weight.

I think you'll find it hard to maintain 2lbs/week eventually, and the weight loss may slow down. that's normal, especially at that amount.

but to get your prepared, you may want to read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/456067-1200-calories-a-day-pleatues-mfp-is-wrong
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    been on this journey for 4 months and haven't plateaued yet. however, I've had weeks where I haven't lost, or I have gained. that wasn't a plateau, but rather me not putting in the required effort to lose weight.

I think you'll find it hard to maintain 2lbs/week eventually, and the weight loss may slow down. that's normal, especially at that amount.

but to get your prepared, you may want to read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/456067-1200-calories-a-day-pleatues-mfp-is-wrong

Very helpful. Thanks!
  • beggaboo2000
    beggaboo2000 Posts: 70 Member
    bump