Can't get rid of the belly fat - help please? :(

Options
I've been exercising solid for a month now and have managed to drop two sizes in my pants and but my upper body, mainly my belly, is still the same size. Which means that I can get my size 8's on but my stomach bulges way over. Very frustrated and upset now since I'm inbetween sizes in clothes and just feel like I look awful. I'm wearing larger pants so I'm not squeezing my belly, and, I understand this isn't a terrible problem to have, and I'm thankful that I'm even losing weight, but still frustrated. Any suggestions out there on how better to lose the Muffin Top? Currently, I'm in Week 2 of the Insanity videos and I do weights about 2 x a week, play Ultimate Frisbee and do some other cardio. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Rommel_V
    Rommel_V Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just continue with the program, studies show that the last part to thin out is the abdominal area, and take note that it's not just the subcutaneous fat that is in there but also the omental fat.
  • all54
    all54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, its all food!!! Working out will get you fit but the food you eat determines the fat. Give yourself time and you will lose it, unfortunately we cannot dictate where we lose our weight... Count your calories and stick to it..you will be amazed one morning how great this works!!
  • rfp67
    rfp67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you under a lot of stress? Stress causes rises in cortisol levels which causes us to hold on to belly fat. It still is about calories in and out, though. Just keep pushing thru!!!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just continue with the program, studies show that the last part to thin out is the abdominal area, and take note that it's not just the subcutaneous fat that is in there but also the omental fat.
    Depends on gender, and even then there will be variations.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    One thing I've come to notice is that the fat comes off wherever it wants lol I wish I could pick the spots too!!!! But don't worry, if you stick with it, it WILL go away!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Are you under a lot of stress? Stress causes rises in cortisol levels which causes us to hold on to belly fat. It still is about calories in and out, though. Just keep pushing thru!!!

This!

Also, could you be bloated? Are you drinking enough water and watching your sodium level?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and I work my abs and they are strong!!! However there is a big wad of FAT on top of all that muscle!! I've lost 12 lbs so far and still have about 13 more to go so hopefully it's on the way OUT!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • fdfallie
    fdfallie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely under a lot of stress. Trying to learn how to better deal with it. Thanks for the encouragement though. I'm just going to keep on moving
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you say you have been working out a month? remember, your belly fat took longer than a month to settle in and get comfortable.....so it will take more than a month to kick it out
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    What worked for me in this area was Nuviva Weight Loss Program. It's in Florida only right now, but you can contact them and see if they can recommend someone in your area who has the same program. It was totally worth the money, not that much really. It's the hCG hormone, only use it under medical supervision, with injections not pills. I lost 10#'s of belly and thigh fat in a month. I was not hungry and had lots of energy with their program. There is a lot of controversy but most opponents have never tried it personally. It targets the stored fat. I was like you, had lost 10 pounds but not noticing anything in those areas. With the Nuviva plan, my thighs have really trimmed up, lost most of the ugly cellulite and my stomach is flat now. Of course I'm working out and doing crunches but I'm not a gym rat and I don't over do it. Everyone is different, go with what your body tells you. You can do it!
    Please don't take this advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Genetics predisposes you where your body decides to lose fat. Apparently your midsection is where it is going to lose last. Lol, you can blame your parents for this one and it's legitimate!
    Patience, time and consistency is what it takes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem with clothes :sad:

But we keep on truckin' ....... that's how it's done .....
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    What worked for me in this area was Nuviva Weight Loss Program. It's in Florida only right now, but you can contact them and see if they can recommend someone in your area who has the same program. It was totally worth the money, not that much really. It's the hCG hormone, only use it under medical supervision, with injections not pills. I lost 10#'s of belly and thigh fat in a month. I was not hungry and had lots of energy with their program. There is a lot of controversy but most opponents have never tried it personally. It targets the stored fat. I was like you, had lost 10 pounds but not noticing anything in those areas. With the Nuviva plan, my thighs have really trimmed up, lost most of the ugly cellulite and my stomach is flat now. Of course I'm working out and doing crunches but I'm not a gym rat and I don't over do it. Everyone is different, go with what your body tells you. You can do it!
    Please don't take this advice.

I agree. This is a human growth hormone. I took this 24 years ago as part of infertility treatment. I would never do it again. You have no idea what this may do to your endocrine system in the future, such as breast cancer, etc. There are much healthier and natural ways to get rid of belly fat. Limit carbs and do lots of crunches and planks. I have stubborn belly fat too, and mine is slowly disappearing. There are no magic bullets.
  • fdfallie
    fdfallie Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This!

Also, could you be bloated? Are you drinking enough water and watching your sodium level?

I do drink about 8 glasses of water a day and I really have no idea how much sodium is too much so clearly I need to look into that.
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having same issue, and it is very frustrating!!! If I could just get rid of my belly fat, I would be happy with my figure. Could lose a little more in my thighs too, but my belly fat is being a pain to get rid of.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Patience. Where we lose fat at is predisposed by genetics. The weight will come off, but in an order the body chooses. You cannot spot reduce, sadly.

It took my final 10 lbs of my 53 lbs to lose a significant amount of stomach fat and even then, I continued to see improvement through weightlifting and bulking.

Lose weight at a sustainable pace. Get a good amount of protein, typically 1g per pound of lean body mass, keep up the exercise. If you can, resistance training like weightlifting would help as well, as it aids in retaining your current muscle and will leave you leaner at goal.

It's frustrating but don't focus on it. Get your proper nutrition and fit things in you love. Don't put too much weight into it. In time, you'll see improvement.♡
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a way to go, but through exercise i am toning up, can see the difference, except in stomach, always been my problem area, but determined to keep going :) have sent you a FR x
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Old thread but to the person that dragged it from the grave; start a new one. You can't spot reduce.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Limit potatoes, bananas, white bread, white rice, and pasta