What am I doing wrong?

Options
Hello! My name is Erica and I have 100lbs to lose. I am very active and watching calories. Everyday I put in my calories and exercise and myfitnesspal says "keep this up and you will lose 15lbs in 5 weeks" etc. etc. The scale does not move. Today, I am at 940 calories and I did 1 hour Kickboxing today. I still have dinner to go, so I should be great on calories. Yesterday, same thing. Did 3 miles and 45 mins weightlifting. I have not lost weight in 2 months. What is going on? I eat proteins, veggies, berries (a LOWER carb diet). Treats are Atkins bars/candy. Even when I have treats, I cut back on everything else. I do not go over my alloted calories. It is driving me crazy!!! I am the most in shape fat person I know LOL. Any ideas, suggestions? I am not going to give up, this is a lifestyle change, but so frustrating. I have talked to my family Doc, but she pushes bypass at this point and I can starve myself on shakes on my own if need be...in other words that is NOT something I want to do. Thank you!!!

To clarify: 15 LBS since JAN 1. It had been a long time since I had tracked here (I was at LoseIt). For my own tracking, I wanted to make sure and have the loss total here as well.

Yes, I push myself when I work out. Today I had sweat dripping on the floor from kickboxing. I do a 14min mile and weightlifting is 45-60 reps of moderate weights. 45-60lbs on arms, 100-130lbs for legs. I also do Insanity dvds if I don't go to the gym. I only drink diet coke, if I am treating myself to a rum and diet coke on occasion. I have had testing done by my Doc, and although my thyroid is low normal and I have really low vit. D that is all I know of. I will say that both sides of my family all struggle with obesity

Ok, about 100+ oz of water a day, Cola Zero (soda stream) is a 2-3 x a WEEK treat. I live on water, coffee and tea.

Replies

• laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary so we can see it that might help.
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I hear you! I have been eating as healthy as possible and working out 4-5 times a week for four months and have only ended up gaining weight! (WTF!)

Have you tried measurements? After constantly being broken down by lack of results on the scale I have decided to just try measuring and hoping that I am losing fat but gaining muscle and that I will hopefully see the inches leave!
  • mittyerica
    mittyerica Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks! I have lost some inches, definitely have more of a shape.
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It may be something your missing...What is your sugar track looking like? How about sodium?
    Those things can mess with the scale. Same with Starches.

Also, its possible your so active your not eating enough! And with that, your body wont let go of any
    weight...
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for pre-diabetes or insulin resistance?
    Have you done any cleanses to reprogram your body?
    When I run into the plateau, I usually like to do a colon, candida or liver cleanse. I find it helps kick start my metabolism, break down foods properly and assimilate the nutrients my body needs.
    The other issue you may be running into is eating too few calories for the workouts you are doing. The body needs fuel. Three hours of jogging and 45 mins of kickboxing is some serious burn. Consuming 1200 calories may or something around that may not be doing the trick. In fact, your body may be tricked to thinking that you are in starvation mode, and any calories you do consume is being stored as fat to be used later. How long have you been doing this level of exercise and corresponding diet?
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    Hello! My name is Erica and I have 100lbs to lose. I am very active and watching calories. Everyday I put in my calories and exercise and myfitnesspal says "keep this up and you will lose 15lbs in 5 weeks" etc. etc. The scale does not move. Today, I am at 940 calories and I did 1 hour Kickboxing today. I still have dinner to go, so I should be great on calories. Yesterday, same thing. Did 3 miles and 45 mins weightlifting. I have not lost weight in 2 months. What is going on? I eat proteins, veggies, berries (a LOWER carb diet). Treats are Atkins bars/candy. Even when I have treats, I cut back on everything else. I do not go over my alloted calories. It is driving me crazy!!! I am the most in shape fat person I know LOL. Any ideas, suggestions? I am not going to give up, this is a lifestyle change, but so frustrating. I have talked to my family Doc, but she pushes bypass at this point and I can starve myself on shakes on my own if need be...in other words that is NOT something I want to do. Thank you!!!

its a marathon, not a sprint.
    you haven't given us very much information with which to make suggestions, nor did you describe your "weightlifting" sessions. how much you lifting and how often? do you know your BMR/TDEE?
    if you get a good strength program going, look into some carb cycling: more carbs and less fat grams on your lifting days,keeping your protein about 1 gram per pound of body weight to start and on your rest days fewer carbs and more fat grams. no macro by itself is the enemy and neither is one form of exercise the end-all. your nutrition is going to fuel your workouts and drive your fat-loss, so dial that in first. there are lots of resources...if you are serious about lifting and nutrition theres a good facebook page specifically for women: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/fiercefitfearless/
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    Have you been checked for pre-diabetes or insulin resistance?
    Have you done any cleanses to reprogram your body?
    When I run into the plateau, I usually like to do a colon, candida or liver cleanse. I find it helps kick start my metabolism, break down foods properly and assimilate the nutrients my body needs.
    The other issue you may be running into is eating too few calories for the workouts you are doing. The body needs fuel. Three hours of jogging and 45 mins of kickboxing is some serious burn. Consuming 1200 calories may or something around that may not be doing the trick. In fact, your body may be tricked to thinking that you are in starvation mode, and any calories you do consume is being stored as fat to be used later. How long have you been doing this level of exercise and corresponding diet?

she didn't say 3 hours...she said 3 miles.
    and cleanses? :0
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

15 lbs in 5 weeks is not a safe or healthy rate of loss. You are eating too little. Your body will not give up fat like that. You can keep it up but you will metabolize your own lean mass. Check out the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" and read the stickies in there. Please. If you have 100 lbs to lose there's NO WAY you should be eating only 1000 calories per day or something stupid.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Are you eating frequently enough and changing the kinds of foods you eat? I really need to eat 4-6 times a day, but I'm not always good at it. So if your calories are right maybe just try to stretch them out a little during the day. Good luck!
  • dianez480
    dianez480 Posts: 3
    Options
    You definitely need to be sure you're eating enough to fuel your body, especially with all the exercise you're doing. if your body isn't fed properly, it will go into 'starvation' mode and horde fat like no other. People are afraid to eat more because they're afraid they'll gain, but you have to try it - and keep at it - to make it work.

Also, are you drinking diet soda? Aspartame can mimic sugar in that it produces insulin when you eat it. But since there's no calories, the insulin has nothing to do, it's wasted. Over time, your body says well forget it then, if you're not going to use the insulin I produce then I'm just going to quit producing it correctly. Or something like that. All I know is that I used to drink 1 diet soda per day and had a really hard time losing weight, and it became easier for me after I quit drinking it.

Also, be sure you're not just 'going through the motions', with both exercise and logging your food on here. Are you really working out hard and earning those calories spent? Are you counting everything you eat and measuring your portions? Being meticulous for a week once in a while is a real eye opener.

HTH,
    Diane
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have talked to my family Doc, but she pushes bypass at this point...

If it were me, I would be looking for a new doctor.
  • mittyerica
    Options
    To clarify: 15 LBS since JAN 1. It had been a long time since I had tracked here (I was at LoseIt). For my own tracking, I wanted to make sure and have the loss total here as well.
  • brittanydilliard
    Options
    I think that if you want to lose weight you should do more cardio than strength training because you could just be gaining muscle...
  • mittyerica
    Options
    I WRITE everything down. I don't know how to eat more, to me it looks like I am eating SO MUCH. Yes, I push myself when I work out. Today I had sweat dripping on the floor from kickboxing. I do a 14min mile and weightlifting is 45-60 reps of moderate weights. 45-60lbs on arms, 100-130lbs for legs. I also do Insanity dvds if I don't go to the gym. I only drink diet coke, if I am treating myself to a rum and diet coke on occasion. I have had testing done by my Doc, and although my thyroid is low normal and I have really low vit. D that is all I know of. I will say that both sides of my family all struggle with obesity. Thanks for the advise!
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Be accurate about your activity level. I've lost a lot of weight but I put down sedentary and no exercise as my fitness profile. In reality I do spinning class almost daily and lift weights every day. I don't eat back my exercise calories 90% of the time. Being conservative on your exercise calories and accurate on food measurements should help a lot.
    If you do these things and still have a problem losing, you may have metabolic syndrome. If you are pre-diabetic, research "reversing pre-diabetes through calorie restriction" go over this with your doctor as pre-diabetes CAN be REVERSED. Once you have diabetes, it cannot be reversed through calorie restriction.
  • mittyerica
    Options
    I did start a kickboxing class today for Tues/Thurs. If I don't go to the gym. I try and do an Insanity DVD.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I no when I first started the scale would not move I gained 2 lbs, so dont watch the scale go by your inches, if you are doing everything you suppose to do the weight will come off muscle weighs more.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I WRITE everything down. I don't know how to eat more, to me it looks like I am eating SO MUCH. Yes, I push myself when I work out. Today I had sweat dripping on the floor from kickboxing. I do a 14min mile and weightlifting is 45-60 reps of moderate weights. 45-60lbs on arms, 100-130lbs for legs. I also do Insanity dvds if I don't go to the gym. I only drink diet coke, if I am treating myself to a rum and diet coke on occasion. I have had testing done by my Doc, and although my thyroid is low normal and I have really low vit. D that is all I know of. I will say that both sides of my family all struggle with obesity. Thanks for the advise!

You still haven't said how many calories you're consuming... unless I've just missed it. If you are eating a bunch of no-cal/low-cal/non-fat everything, ditch them and eat real food. Then you'll be able to eat a normal healthy diet. Fat-free/diet foods are chemical concoctions that don't deserve to go in your body.

Diet coke is really terrible for you too... but I'm sure you've heard that already. How about some water?
  • erica924
    erica924 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Erica, I'm Erica lol... Are you drinking enough water?? i would cut out any beverages, diet or not, and just stick to water and lots of it. You should be drinking at least 64 oz. a day and if you are exercising it should be more. Give that a whirl.. Good luck!
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Diet coke?!?!?!

No No ville! The aspartame is really horrible for you, cut it out and only drink water and then see what happens.