Outside vs. Inside

Options
Call me crazy, but I've never been to a gym. My whole life, I was told if you want to exercise, get your butt outside and run around! As I've gotten older, it seems like I've done less and less "running around" and more and more "sitting at my desk," a change I'm sure many can relate to.
Having just started trying to get into shape, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should go to a gym. The reality is, I've been put off from the local gym, simply because I'm afraid they'll look at me like I'm crazy.
My question is this:
What are the advantages of going to a gym (where I wouldn't receive personal training or attend classes because of my schedule) over exercising outside? I know a gym has more options, but am I still going to get a high quality aerobic workout from running, biking, walking, jumping rope etc. in the great outdoors?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The real question is...which will you enjoy more? ( that's the one you're more likely to keep up)

I run, bike, play soccer etc but I also have strength training equipment at home (and strength training is important as a complimentary activity to running etc) You can achieve an amazing level of fitness without ever stepping foot in a gym.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    " . . .I've been put off from the local gym, simply because I'm afraid they'll look at me like I'm crazy. "

Bah! Who cares what other people think, say or do? This is your life and you are making efforts to make it a healthier and longer one, and are to be commended for that!

From my personal experience, I have had nothing but great experiences at my gym(though I know not all gyms are created equal). It has plenty of cardio equiptment as well as lots of strength training machines and free weights. I do take advantage of the free classes and choose to pay for a personal trainer. Had this gym not opened 2 blocks from my work, I would still be overweight and unhealthy- the gym as changed my life for the better!

That being said, as the previous poster commented, a gym is not necessary to get in shape! There are plenty of options
    for both cardio and strength training outside and inside the home. Sports, dancing, walking, running is great cardio! And there are lots of at home strength training exercises you can find on the internet, as well as DVD's and/or equiptment to use at home. The key is to find those things you LIKE to do and will continue to do. Elevating your heart rate and bunring calories can happen anywhere!

Good Luck!
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    I agree with what Brian said about what you enjoy. If you enjoy it, then you will stick with it. I personally don't belong to a gym and never have simply because 1) I can't afford it and 2)I would have to drive 15 to 20 minutes to get to one. Number 2 might sound lame, but I know myself....I like to workout first thing in the morning and I want to get up and get moving right away. As far as the workouts go (gym vs. home) they are basically the same. I've done free trials as gyms and I did a few classes and used the equipment and I can do the same at home. I personally love to walk/run and I do DVDs (I own a few and when I get bored or want to try something new I borrow one from the library). The only thing I would use a gym for is the pool. I love to swim. But, I can't see paying a whole gym membership just to use the pool.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside but good luck keeping weight sets outside.
  • hhgrif0107
    hhgrif0107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I myself have done both and love both. The key as everyone has already said pick something you like you are much more likely to stick with something you enjoy! I choose to have a gym membership because I love working out outside during the winter and cold months (I am one of the few who are a fan of the cold) but can't tolerate humidity so take it inside during the summer months.

What i have learned is that to loose pounds you must do cardio to loose inches you must do strength training and a great combination of both will have the pounds and inches melting away in no time.

Good luck on your journey!