Eating out

Options
So tonight I am going out to eat at an Italian restaurant, I checked out their menu and a lot of it is pastas in white wine, butter, creams..etc. I found one item that looked healthy, "grilled chicken in balsamic vinaigrette dressing." I don't want to mess up this early in the game but I also don't want to feel so limited in my choices. Does anyone have a good strategy for when they go out to eat?

Replies

• specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tend to try to save on calories in the other parts of my day if I KNOW there is a possible splurge type meal on the horizon. Or eat something healthy but filling before you go out so it is not so tempting to go overboard.

I am always disappointed when I go out because if I don't research it and then I try to make a healthier choice when I am there, usually the healthy choice is still a calorie fest. Hahaha, I have yet to master that part of my health plan.

Good on you for trying to do your research when entering the lions den! ;)

Good luck!
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I agree with yours. I try to always plan my meal before I eat it, ajust to my assigned calories for that meal and stick to it. It works for me. Good job!! :smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think going out to eat is the hardest challange that we face when trying to loose weight. I try and a salad to fill me up so that I dont over do. I also divide my dinner in half. Italian places are the worst, well really the best (hahaha) just a hard choice. If they have a really nice soup try getting a bowl of a tomato base soup, not a creamy type. Good luck and enjoy.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I think salad is good if you have no dressing. I recently ate at Olive Garden and was shocked at how many calories I got from the salad dressing--I love the salad + dressing! In other places, I just order salad and salt and pepper it. I was getting oil and vinegar and was shocked at how many fat calories the oil added--so away with the oil.

The support of this site helps with the learning curve. I get a lot of insight here.
    :smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I say "everything in moderation" ONE meal (right proportions) isn't going to kill your efforts. Just do good all week and exercise!!! Enjoy your italian for me too!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my best advice would be to really watch yourself throughout the day and when it comes time for that out eat moment dont overeat maybe do an extra workout to make up for what you did like a 30 min walk with the dogs
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I go out to eat I order broiled or grilled chicken or fish with no sauce or dressing, steamed vegetable with no sauce or dressing or butter, salad with no cheese or croutons and dressing on the side, and no bread, no potato, no rice, no appetizer, no dessert. I ask questions about how things are prepared and make requests to have things prepared the way I want them. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and I drink a lot of water and no alcohol, juice, coffee, or soft drinks.
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    One good idea is to ask for a take out box when you get your meal. If the portions are large which they probably will be just put half of the food in the take out box before you eat. Make sure to eat your salad first cause salad is filling and then you won't over eat the meal. Good luck And have fun if you eat over then start anew tomorrow.
  • lflood
    lflood Posts: 2
    Options
    I order the best that I can and I always ask for a to go box when they deliver my meal. It seems a bit rude, but if I put half my meal in the box (for lunch the next day) and try to eat slowly, I find it is enough food.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I don't go out to eat often, so when I do I like to enjoy the food. I can go home and steam veggies and eat a potato with no butter! lol I try and be healthy but yummy too! I always order what looks/is healthy if there are no nutrition facts it can be hard to tell. When my plate comes I only eat half, and I also always start out with a salad, dressing on the side. I like my salads with just red wine vinegar - no oil it adds like 120 calories for one tablespoon! The salad helps fill you up, also try and drink a full glass of water before your meal comes!
  • jannygirl
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! Salad first with red wine vinegar, grilled or broiled chicken or fish, no starches and eat half of portions :wink: