Over 45 Success Stories

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there are a lot of success stories on this site from people over the age of 45. No offense to the younger ones, you all look great! Your hard work also inspires me. However, I am just starting this journey and I would love to hear from people my age and up (I'm 50) who have used this site and lost all the weight they wanted and maintained it. People keep telling me how hard it is to lose the weight once you get older because your metabolism slows down. I would love to hear from people that has beat this theory. Thanks!

Replies

• slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am way over 50 and I had lost 4 pounds prior to using MFP and have lost another 36 pounds for a total of 40 pounds last year. I have weighed the same (of course, with struggle) for 10 months and could of not done this without MFP. It is now my maintenance go-to-site. I do weigh everyday and post my dairy most day. I have used this site for over 420 days approximately.

You can like me as a friend if you wish.
  • cowboy48
    cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have lost 145 pounds and am 50. I did it through eating properly and running. I went from 320 pounds to 175 pounds at 5'11". I used MFP for about 80 pounds of the weight loss. Exercise was the trick though.
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    HI I am 46 and have lost a total of 36 lbs in the last year. The difference it has made in my life and general well being is AMAZING

No more sore knees! ( Doctor told me every lb of body weight was like 6 lbs on the knee joint)
    plantar fasciitis- HEALED! - I. Can. Run! Yeah not so far as I would like... but I can run!
    Working out with a trainer (strength) 2 x a week has made me strong again like I have not been in a long time.
    I have not had sciatic pain in so long, I give credit to my both my weight loss and my stronger healthier back!

FOOD
    I love it :) So I don't diet. But i do make choices - If i know we are having something rich and delicious for dinner - i try to have a salad for lunch. I fortunately do not have a sweet tooth but what I can do to a bag of chips is criminal!!!
    Like so many my down fall is portion control. So I write it down here on MFP. Talk about keeping you honest! YIKES! When I saw the calories in corn chips....I certainly quit buying the family size bag!!!!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. Lost a better part of 70 lbs over the past year.

It was a little difficult at the start but once I started counting calories and trying to keep my sodium @ 1500 mg or less per day. The pounds just dropped off!

My weight now hovers between 185 and 190. And, pants waist size went from 44 - 46" to 32"

I also went from the fat, sweaty guy at the back of my classes (Capoeira & Jeet Kune Do) to one of the people who helps out with new students and sometimes does the warm-up and stretching for the teachers.

Not bad for an old fart! :-0

Best of luck on your journey!
  • blueangel20110
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. Your stories inspire me. I would like to add you all as friends, if that is okay. I can use all the support I can get and I promise to support you as well. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. Including pre-MFP I've lost a total of 60 pounds. I was able to do this by eating healthier and working out 5-6 times a week. It's so funny but when I tell people that, they look so disappointed like they want to hear a magic answer.

I haven't had this much energy in years and I feel great.

The key is to be patient with yourself, even if you have a bad day now and then. It's taken me 2 years to get to this point, and I just recently moved into maintenance mode. I know I will keep the weight off this time because the changes I've incorporated are so much a part of my daily life that it's become second nature.

Good luck!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have lost a stone so far! 6lb to go... I am not the fastest at losing weight but there is such a difference now it is amazing xxx add me if you want x
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have lost 32 lbs.

1 lbs a week until MFP gave me 1200 calories then 1/2 lb a week until I had only 5 lbs left to go. At that point, every pound I lost I added back calories so that by the time i got to my goal I'd be very close to eating at maintenance.

Giving myself a range is what kept sane and kept me with it.
    ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 Cal
    TARGET: MFP goal
    TOP of RANGE: Maintain GOAL weight
    SAFETY VALVE: Maintain current weight

As long as I didn't blow my safety valve I wouldn't gain, as long as I stayed under the TOP of my RANGE I should continue to lose, although at a slower rate. (I don't have a deadline... Getting healthy in a way that I can stay healthy is more important than a time frame. I want to be healthy the rest of my life.... Looking at the shape my Mom is in and how she's running 6 kids ragged to keep up with her needs was a real eye opener. I have NO kids, NO spouse if I go to crap, I'm S-O-L)

Been maintaining since Xmas time. I Expect it will take at least another year of tracking before internalize what eating "the proper amount" of food feels like.

I'm now I'm trying to figure out (...umm procrastinating...) more effective strategies for maintaining.
    The closer I got to my goal the smaller my range got, and I'm having a tough time hitting one number consistently.

Sometimes I test my ability to judge, by logging at the end of the day. Some days I'm way under and others I'm way over. I really can't tell until I see it in black and white.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'am 49 and I had already lost 22.5 lbs before joining MFP in mid Jan this year and have lost 18 lbs since I joined. Making it a total of 40.5 lbs....it has taken me 17 months to get here. I reached my goal weight May 13, yay! and have lost another 2 more lbs yay! I walk a lot, use an elliptical and have some home workout dvd's that I do.....something I would suggest whould be for u do to your measurements too. total body. I do my every 2 weeks. The scales have never really been a friend of my...and when the weight stall or wasnt coming off fast enough I could see the inches melt away...which help me to stay on track. good luck and u can add me if u like to.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!