Help with Problem Hair

Options
Flixie00
Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
I have dry curly shoulder length hair that is coloured.

I keep my hair tied back in the gym and also swim 3-4 times a week in an oxygenated pool. I wash my hair 3 times a week, and condition it after I leave the pool.

As a consequence, my hair is now in very poor condition. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? Also, would cutting my hair short mean improved condition going forward?

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Look up on line washing with conditioner. You will find once you start doing it that your hair stays cleaner a lot longer.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Keratin has been a lifesaver for mine.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yes, this! I have super super super curly hair, and when I wear it culry for an extended period of time, I always wash with conditioner instead of shampoo. The shampoo causes the curls to FRIZZ like crazy :) Good luck!!!
  • elizabeth1222
    Options
    Used Coconut oil it's wonderful for dry hair:flowerforyou:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    ARGON OIL!!!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been just rinsing through my hair with conditioner and using a natural one, but this is no longer doing the trick.

Keratin? this is normally used to straighten hair which I am not looking to do, can it just be used as a conditioner?
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would try using Redkens Extreme line, it is for distressed hair and works wonders for chemically damaged hair! I am a hair dresser and use it all the time!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    FrizEase serum is good, also Aussie 3 minute miracle and leave in conditioner!
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

^^ This ^^
  • sparkdoc
    sparkdoc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder length coloured curly hair too and the swimming pool plays havoc with it!! Plenty of conditioner immediately after getting out the pool helps me.

My step-mam is a swim coach and she always says makes sure you soak your hair in the shower before getting in the pool, stops as much chlorinated water getting to it apparently. xx

Oh and also frizz ease, my hair would be a frizzy wreck without it!! I get the super strength one! xx
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Same kind of hair.... after I condition and towel dry I use a good leave in conditioner and Frizz ease or smoothing serum!:wink:
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

^^ This ^^

This too^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try ION http://www.sallybeauty.com/keratin-smoothing-shampoo/SBS-302880,default,pd.html?green=17329946103&cm_vc=MYBUYS

That is the shampoo, they also have conditioner. I have the same type of hair as you but I also have hormonal problems that make it break off and fall out easy. This shampoo and conditioner has made my hair stop falling out as rapidly, the breaking is no longer happening and my hair feels like normal well taken care of hair. I loved this stuff so much after using it for 3 days i went back and got the entire styling line for frizzy dry hair and my hair is now like freaking silk. I will never use anything else.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been just rinsing through my hair with conditioner and using a natural one, but this is no longer doing the trick.

Keratin? this is normally used to straighten hair which I am not looking to do, can it just be used as a conditioner?
    Keratin straightens the hair, so I don't think it would be a good option for you (I did keratin for several years).

I would try using a leave-in conditioner, and see if that helps.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    What they said. Google "co-washing"

Also, I make a mask for my hair.

Pure coconut oil
    Egg
    Splash of milk

Mix it all up and keep it on your hair as long as you can stand it. It is a bit drippy so wrap your head in plastic or invest in a good shower cap.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Keratin is not for straitening unless you buy a keratin straightening treatment...it is for smoothing and anti frizz when bought as a normal shampoo, conditioner, or other hair care product. but when you straighten your hair (even using the normal keratin products)it does make it a lot easier and makes it faster...but for us with curly hair it just smooths the frizz and makes your hair soft and manageable when you are just going natural.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    ARGON OIL!!!

YESSA!!!:)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    ARGON OIL!!!

This. I have very fine, dyed, long hair which gets dry and breaks when I blink at it funny. I tried the Organix Penetrating Oil Moroccan Argan Oil and I love it. I'd put a bunch in my hair and let it soak for an hour with a shower cap on the first time. Then I would use as directed every day.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with argon oil. Can you swim with a cap on? I know they're a bit nerdy but if I were swimming that much, I would pick up a cute vintage style cap.