Frustrated and discouraged with (nonexistent) weight loss...

Options
Basic background info: I'm 23 & started off at 217.6. Currently, I'm 179.6 I lost an initial 30 pounds last year over the summer with Weight Watchers and stuck around 186 for a while, then got some motivation back and lost another 3 pounds. I was stuck at 183 for a few months before I was able to get down to 180. I've been stuck around 179-180 for about 3 months now and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. My overall goal weight is 160.

I just started using MFP a couple of days ago to help me track my calories instead of using the Weight Watchers "points" method because that didn't seem to be helping obviously. I just picked up a gym membership a few weeks ago and have been going there for cardio 7 days a week, generally about 30-45 minutes worth. I haven't seen a single dent in the scale. MFP says I should be taking in about 1600 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb per week, and obviously when I'm exercising I should be taking more in. I feel like I'm eating too much if I take in more calories because I'm always full after meals, but I know eating too little calories could make you basically go into starvation mode. So I'm stuck. I need some advice and encouragement.

I'm getting really frustrated and discouraged because my husband isn't even TRYING to lose weight and he is! For the longest time I weighed less than he did, and now he's back down lower than I am... there's nothing worse than knowing you're busting your butt to lose weight with no results while someone else doesn't even have to try and they lose weight so easily.

Replies

• deez2015
    deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm in the same boat and want to give up frequently. Sounds like you've done really well so far even though it's not as fast as you'd like. Hang in there, don't give up. Feel free to add me for support. :smile:
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've spent a lot of time cruising posts today on ways to break through a plateau. I think you should look into the group Eat more to weigh less since you are concerned about your caloric intake. Maybe you should look into adding some HIIT training to your cardio workouts.... other then that I've got nothing. You have come a long way already so it could be just those stubborn last pounds that your body is hanging on to for dear life....

Good luck!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    have you tried eating a maintenance for a few weeks and then going back into deficit?
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Check out a group on here called Eat More to Weigh Less. It will take patience, but you'll feel so much better once you repair your metabolism and start eating enough, and the plateau will end. (You'' probably gain before you lose, but if you can hang in there through it, you'll get yourself back on track for good.)

Good luck to you.

:)
    Amy
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You are doing it the right way by eating better and getting exercise. Do not be discouraged! I think what you have accomplished so far is EXCELLENT! And men lose weight so much quicker. Every time I have dieted in the past my husband always lost more than me and in about a fourth of the time. My whole house eats healthier than ever because I am the grocery shopper and I cook about 80% of meals. You will get there. Stay the course!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, never force yourself to eat back calories and make sure you're not stepping on the scale every day! Also, get a measuring tape! Measure your hips, waist and any other areas you want to keep track of! Weight always doesn't come off, but converts from fat to muscle! Look at this video for the size difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw
  • betweenthebirds
    betweenthebirds Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the maintenance for a few weeks then going back to deficit route, but I was reading up on it on some of the other posts. It'd be a last ditch effort but maybe it might work. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Glad you are on MFP, WW is good for being healthier but not as good for precise weight loss as they give you some "free" foods...anyway.

You dont' have to eat past being full out of fear of starvation mode. THis is largely a myth and although a lot of fear mongers around here use it, you only have to worry about it if you are eating at like half your BMR for months and months.

You won't see a change in a couple of day of using MFP. You have to wait at least a few weeks.

DON'T GET FRUSTRATED. Be pateint. And don't eat past being full. If you aren't losing in two more weeks message me and we can go ove ryour numbers together and make sure they are right.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have had several plateaus along the way usually lasting 1-3 weeks. To break them I cut the calories by 100-200 for a day or so and up the intensity and length of exercise. I then seem to notice a difference within 2-3 days and then go back to my normal regimen. However, for me a normal regimen is a strict 1200 - 1300 cals regardless of exercise (which is now about 2 hours a day). I know this is an aggressive 10 lb a month loss, but it works for me.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You are doing it the right way by eating better and getting exercise. Do not be discouraged! I think what you have accomplished so far is EXCELLENT! And men lose weight so much quicker. Every time I have dieted in the past my husband always lost more than me and in about a fourth of the time. My whole house eats healthier than ever because I am the grocery shopper and I cook about 80% of meals. You will get there. Stay the course!

I couldn't agree more. Slow steady weight loss is the key to success. Make sure you net enough calories for your body to function, and the weight will come off.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I also think sometimes we misjudge the calories in food or portion size. I would try to cut 100 calories so you are eating around 1400-1500 to see if that works. If not you can always go back. I cannot eat 1600 and still lose, my maximum is 1500 and I am 5 ft 7 and weigh 179. I've tried eating more and it didnt work for me.
  • becsks
    becsks Posts: 12
    Options
    You are doing GREAT! Always remember - maintaining is better than gaining. And these are habits you want for a lifetime, so stick with them now when it's hard and they'll be easy when you break through.

Question - are you doing any weight lifting or toning? You said you're doing a lot of cardio, but weights (or 30 Day Shred type video) can help your metabolism rise and help you lose inches (even if you don't lose weight at first.) I'd take your measurements now, give yourself a month of cardio and weights, and make sure you're eating the right sort of calories to replenish your body after working out (not just hitting certain limits each day.) Measure yourself at the end of one month with weights and you'll definitely see a size-measurement difference, even if the scale hasn't budged.

Other plateau breakers (everyone in this thread gave some great ones): a) focus on NSV every day and write them in your food journal. b) go back to basics (measuring every single thing, very exactly. c) vary your workout and your foods so your body doesn't get used to anything.

Good luck! You're doing everything right so you know you can do this too!
  • Khalia87
    Khalia87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Michelle Bridges says 1200 a day excercise 5 days a week, just try it for a week or two and see how you go.
    I have lost 5kg's by sticking to the 1200 but I havent been gyming 5 days a week and still lost the weight, so Im sure if you
    exercising more than you would probably lose more :o)