Brown Rice

Options
vatblack
vatblack Posts: 221 Member
How do you cook that so that it doesn't still taste raw when you eat it? I followed the instructions (uncle Ben's) and it really taste horrible.

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I buy generic brown rice and cook it according to package directions. It never tastes raw, but it does take a LONG time to cook (45 minutes to an hour). I cook it in chicken broth instead of water.

ETA: Make sure you're using the right amount of water (according to the instructions). The rice is done when all the water is absorbed, and not a minute sooner.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I just get the brown rice in the pouch, where you just have to nuke it for 90 seconds. I've had the kind you steam yourself and couldn't do it. Too chewy! D:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    when you say "raw" is it crunchy? It should be a chewy texture, slightly nutty taste...
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Great advise so far and I cook it in low fat beef or chicken stock and add a wee bit of sea salt and it turns out great.
  • SarahLov86
    Options
    It does take longer to cook than white rice, and it has a different flavour and texture. I use the same method as for white rice though - twice as much cold water as rice, put it on medium heat and simmer till all the water has been absorbed.
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If i'm correct Uncle Ben's says cook for 30mins...I used to have this problem, so i just upped the cooking time to 40/45mins instead. I don't think you are ever gonna get rid of the natural 'nuttiness' of brown rice, but this should make it better.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can cook it with broths instead of using water. The rice will absorb the flavor. :-)
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I cook long grain brown rice in lightly salted water. It takes a while! 35-40 mins. After it is cooked, I dump it into a wire colander and rinse it thoroughly. All the starchy, gummy gunk rinses off and then I eat a serving and put the rest into an air tight container and stick in the fridge for the next meal!
    It's perfect every time! Good luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,845 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is indeed tricky and the package directions are often wrong. I cook generic short grain brown rice. I bring the water to a boil, add the rice, return to boil, reduce heat and cover to simmer for 40 min. Then, I turn off the heat without removing the cover and let it sit for 10 min. Then I fluff it with a fork.

I use twice as much water as rice. So, 2 cups water to 1 cup rice.

It turns out nice and soft.
  • vatblack
    Options
    when you say "raw" is it crunchy? It should be a chewy texture, slightly nutty taste...

Crunchy!
  • vatblack
    Options
    If i'm correct Uncle Ben's says cook for 30mins...I used to have this problem, so i just upped the cooking time to 40/45mins instead. I don't think you are ever gonna get rid of the natural 'nuttiness' of brown rice, but this should make it better.

Yes, I think the time is wrong, but the water was used up at 30min. Maybe I should add a tad more water or turn the heat lower. I will try to cook it for 40 or 50 minutes later.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It is not the taste that bothers me, but the grains were not even really swollen! I couldn't believe it.
  • AmberMusselman
    Options
    Cook it longer, it takes a really long time! I love adding cumin seed, cilantro and broth to rice. I start it 60 min. before dinner, cook it on med -high for 15 minutes, then turned down to the lowest heat setting for another 35 min. and left on the burner to keep warm until we eat.

LOL was typing as you posted ;) glad you figured it out!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Crunchy!

Then it definitely needs to cook longer. If you live in an arid climate and/or high elevation you'll need to add extra water.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    This is the basic way I cook all my grains -
    First I toast the rice in a dry pan. Just keep mixing it around until the first grains start to pop. Then I rinse it, return back to the pan, add water (about 1 1/2 cups per 1 cup rice), 1 tsp butter and some sea salt, cover, bring to a boil then turn down to simmer. It cooks in about 40 min. I let it sit for about 5 to 10 min and then fluff with a fork.
    If I know that dinnertime will be hectic, I do everything in the morning except for cooking. I just let it sit in the water, in the pan on the stove. When I get home I just turn the stove on and by then the rice would have absorbed most of the water and softened up quite a bit, so it only takes a few minuites to be ready.

This is a very neautral tasting rice and can be used for many other different recipes as well.
  • vatblack
    Options
    Ambermusselma - The cumin seeds and cilantro with the rice sounds so good.

Also the idea of the bear and broth! I am going to try all these ideas!

Monkeybrain20 - that sounds like a lot of work, but it seems like the payoff is worth it.

Just when you thought you knew how to cook!!!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    It really isn't a lot of work at all. I just toast the rice first before rinsing it. The toasting process partially cooks it and then it takes less water and less time to cook. We all love the taste of it when it's done this way and it doesn't need any additions.
    I also cook quinoa and amaranth the same way. Even when I cook polenta I dry toast it first. It really brings out the flavor.

oooohhh... I think I am going to make polenta for breakfast tomorrow :happy: