five finger Vibram shoes

Options
you know those toe shoes some people are wearing are you one of them? if so please tell me what kind you have and whether or not i should buy them? I want some but i cant decide if its worth the money so if anyone has any plz put your 2 cents in here

Replies

• Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    Bump.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuump so interested in getting some for myself!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try the new balance minimus shoes first.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but I've heard good things about them from a couple of runner friends. One was struggling with knee pain wearing "running" shoes and she has reduced her pain wearing the Vibrams.

I have recently gone to bare foot workouts (week 2 of Insanity) because I was having foot cramps while working out wearing shoes. No foot cramps during bare foot workouts!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have been running in my 5 fingers now for over a year and a half, and am on my same pair. I have over 1700 miles on them, a d they are still going strong. I have also run 2 half marathons and a full marathon. I love them. Since starting to run in them, my back and knees feel better.

I can chat more about them if you want.
  • Bluesuedepumps
    Options
    I have these http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-LS-Womans.htm

absolutely love them!! I have had them for about 2 months now. I thought they were so weird at first but I talked to someone at the gym and she told me I just had to try them on.

So I went out and tried them on and they are very comfortable. I have had no problem transitioning. I have gotten no blisters and my legs are a lot stronger and my calves more defined.

The sizing is different than what we are use to. I wear a 9 in the vibrams I bought a 40

I hope that helps you out.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I wouldn't buy those first, you really need to have the minimal shoes first, trust me! I bought the toe shoes and I tried them out and I have what they call strong toes, weird I know. But you have to do exercises with your toes and feet first because its a huge difference. I'm not knocking you down because they are awesome, but unless your a really experienced runner(even then) I'd go minimal first. I'm still working on wearing mine but I just bought new minimals first and after 300 miles in theses I will go to my skeletoes by fila. They are awesome shoes, but trust me your feet will be so sore you will be out for days
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I switched to the Vibram Five Finger shoes over 3 years ago for running. I changed my running style and it took over two months to get used to it. I had persistent knee and shin splint problems before I switched. Love them.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've just picked mine up. I get pain in my feet so wanted to try them. I have seen the other brands that have made similar shoes but I'm going for these. Go to a running store though not online so they can correctly fit your foot and recommend the best for you
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have two pair. Only use when I go to Curves, not for walking or running. Some people say the best for running or walking I just dont agree. Was really a waste of money for me. Only good thing is I got them on sale and had a coupon so it was like buy one pair and get one pair free. I feel they are good just for a casual day at work or for Curves only where the workout is not so intense.

The brand I have is Fila. Was recommended by a friend. I can work in them all day, but for walking on the track or runnning, NO.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I switched to the Vibram Five Finger shoes over 3 years ago for running. I changed my running style and it took over two months to get used to it. I had persistent knee and shin splint problems before I switched. Love them.

I alternate to the New Balance Minimus Trail for trail runs.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love them. Haven't used them in a while though. I am a toe striker so sometimes the balls of my feet hurt however I feel I run more naturally in them.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I tried on the vibram's once, one was too big, one was too small so I didn't buy them.

I did buy these 'vivo barefoot' trail shoes that are awesome. They are minimal but not toe shoes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm using the brooks pure connect (minimalist, but no toes). They've made running possible for me. And I'm not exaggerating.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of of the KSO model that I use on the road, and a pair of Spyridon's I use on the trail.

I also have a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves, which are "barefoot shoes" (or, minimal shoes). I wear them a little for running, too. They're also good for promoting a "barefoot" running form, but I honestly feel like the VFF's are much more comfortable. But I also think they look ridiculous.

Anyway, I only use them for running (not day-to-day stuff) but I do love them. No more shin splints for me, at all. It does take time to transition to those types of shoes, though--so be careful not to overdo it if you get a pair.

Lots of great info about VFF's and other minimal shoes (and actual barefoot running) on the runner's world barefoot forum. Worth a visit if you're considering running in VFF's.

If you want them for daily wear or working out, I'd say just go try a pair on and see how you like them. Be prepared to get a lot of attention when you wear them :/

Tim

Edit to add-- among the common suggestions on the RW forums: start barefoot (or straight into VFF's if that's what you want) rather than transitioning (by transitioning in this sense, I mean first regular shoes, then "sorta minimal" shores, then minimal shoes, then VFF's). It sounds counter-intuitive, but that's what many VFF wearers seem to say...
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I started with minimalist shoes first (Mizunos) and then went to FiveFingers.
    I did get a stress fracture in my metatarsal jumping rope on concrete in them (maybe not the best idea).
    Ever since then, I've been working may way back up to wearing them while running.
    No one else can tell you what shoes to buy without knowing your running stride, any knee, foot or leg issues you might have, etc. I got them to correct some knee and lower back issues and they actually helped a lot.
    Talk to someone at a REAL running store (not Sports Authority or Foot Locker etc) about how to transition and whether they are right for you.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about these too..if I run on a rough rocky road will my feet end up hurting...I have heard they are great for working out and your typical running...just not sure about on rough roads????
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance Minimus trail running shoes (MT10SV) and I really like how they feel on the trails. Good grip on the rocks too. My calves were sore my first go, and I am allowing myself to ease into using them but loving them so far!

Those toe shoes were a little odd for me, I think the Minimus is a happy medium

-V-
  • rl1421
    rl1421 Posts: 9
    Options
    I hated running until I got my VFFs. Before them, my knees, ankles, hips, etc. would ache within 15 minutes and I could barely do 2 miles before the pain would force me to walk.

Now I regularly run 4-6 miles with no pain. I actually just signed up for a half marathon and I plan to run it in them. I was reading some running websites about how you should alternate between VFFs and a more supportive shoe and (even though I've been running exclusively in my VFFs for over a year) got scared so I bought some Brooks Pure Flow minimalists. I wore them for a short 3 mile run and ALL of my former aches and pains returned. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with my VFFs exclusively from here on out.

Do break them in slowly. The first time I wore them, I effortlessly ran 3 miles (when I was used to doing no more than 2 in normal shoes) and the next day I paid dearly for it. My calves were so sore I could barely walk. Give yourself time to build up the muscles in your feet. Start by doing 10% of your normal run in them and work your way up form there.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you have extra narrow feet like I do, don't buy the VFF's. They spread your toes waaaaaay wider than they should and it really hurts! I absolutely could not get used to them. However, If you have regular width feet, I say go for it. They're great for helping balance and allowing your feet to flex and move like they're supposed to.

If you are going to run in them, though, build your time in these shoes very slowly - you'll be stressing muscles you didn't have to use while wearing traditional running shoes!