Does Fresh Brewed Ice Tea count towards water

Options
2»

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I personally count mine as water. But I also drink about 80oz of water by itself on a given day.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Just a point, extra water CAN hurt you, if it's too much.

I count iced tea as water. If you think about what tea is made of, it's 99ish percent water probably. Depending on how strong or weak you make it, the caffeine is not enough to worry too much about.

Most any drink is mostly water, and many fruits are mostly water, etc..etc... As long as you are getting enough liquid overall I think you're fine.

This x2
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I've got an idea. Drink when you are thirsty. The 8 cups a day thing is a crock too.

I drink coffee, water, pop, milk, whatever. I log the stuff with calories, and I don't increment my water counter, mostly because I got tired of "friends" bugging me for not drinking my 200 oz of water a day or whatever.

You can get water from your food too. As food passes through your large intestine, water is extracted from it. Your body, at this point, could care less if that water came in a bottle from France, and if that bottle contain Evian or red wine.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I count water as water, thats it.

Water is water not tea anything you mix into it or add to it is no longer plain water. If you have lemon water you should add a slice of lemon. If you have tea even if it is brewed.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Is that kind of like saying "aspartame isn't as carcinogenics as most people think it is, so really it's ok"

or wait no..........this is more like "can I count french fries as veggies?"

Tea (or coffee or soda or juice) isn't water. You can count whatever you want as whatever else you want, I suppose, but the bottom line is if you have to ask..........if you have to make excuses to justify it......... that's your answer right there. Count WATER as water. Because water is water. Just cause Mt. Dew has water in it doesn't make it count toward water.

I agree with this... Essentially, I guess the water content could count towards you water goal but if there is any type of dehydrating effect from the caffine, wouldn't it be better to just drink an extra glass of water anyway? It won't hurt and the more the better really - within reason - I think excessive amounts of water can unbalance your salts and electrolyte levels.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Wow..some of these respones...anyways, I only count WATER as water. Everything else I drink gets logged under "snacks" because I typically don't drink anything but water.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I count 8 oz. water as 1 serving and hot green tea, unsweetened ice tea as 1/2 servings. That's all I drink.

So if I drink 2 cups of green tea in the morning I will count that as 1 serving.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Of course it does.

Anything with LIQUID does, but a lot of purists here ONLY count 'water' as water.

:)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Options
    Wow, I wouldn't have pegged this topic to be so... whatever it is :smile:

I count my tea as water, but I drink decaf green tea mixed with fruit or herb tea iced. I make a big 2 litre in the morning and drink throughout the day. I drink a lot of water too, but just water all day is boring. (In my opinion)

Tracking tea as water is a personal preference. I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer. Do what you think is best for you and your body.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Healthservice says:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
    The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks.

All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.

It’s fine to drink tea and coffee as part of a balanced diet. But it's important that tea, coffee or other drinks containing caffeine are not your only source of fluid.
  • midnight333
    midnight333 Posts: 149
    Options
    Is that kind of like saying "aspartame isn't as carcinogenics as most people think it is, so really it's ok"

or wait no..........this is more like "can I count french fries as veggies?"

Tea (or coffee or soda or juice) isn't water. You can count whatever you want as whatever else you want, I suppose, but the bottom line is if you have to ask..........if you have to make excuses to justify it......... that's your answer right there. Count WATER as water. Because water is water. Just cause Mt. Dew has water in it doesn't make it count toward water.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Tea (or coffee or soda or juice) isn't water. You can count whatever you want as whatever else you want, I suppose, but the bottom line is if you have to ask..........if you have to make excuses to justify it......... that's your answer right there. Count WATER as water. Because water is water.

So, if I drink a bottle of water, and eat my crystal light powder seperately, it would count as water but if I mix the powder into the water, then drink it, it doesn't count. Hmmmm, not sure I can agree with your theory of what counts as water.
    Any unsweetened water base drink can be counted as water.
    [/quote]
    This is my favorite response of all time.

I don't count my water, I just make sure my urine is clear...I also average about 5 16-oz tumblers of water/day at work plus anything else I drink during the day though so the only time I really need to worry is on weekends.
  • mat0424
    mat0424 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tea (or coffee or soda or juice) isn't water. You can count whatever you want as whatever else you want, I suppose, but the bottom line is if you have to ask..........if you have to make excuses to justify it......... that's your answer right there. Count WATER as water. Because water is water.

So, if I drink a bottle of water, and eat my crystal light powder seperately, it would count as water but if I mix the powder into the water, then drink it, it doesn't count. Hmmmm, not sure I can agree with your theory of what counts as water.
    Any unsweetened water base drink can be counted as water.
    This is my favorite response of all time.

I don't count my water, I just make sure my urine is clear...I also average about 5 16-oz tumblers of water/day at work plus anything else I drink during the day though so the only time I really need to worry is on weekends.
    [/quote]

I LOVE THIS REPLY!!! LOL I think I will go eat a packet of Crystal Light...or go all out and take a big hit off of some MIO liquid water enhancer!:devil:
  • jshelto7
    jshelto7 Posts: 1
    Options
    what Do You Think All Those SodaS And And Teas Mostly Consist Of? Water.... It All "Counts" As Water Consumption. You Just HaveToAdd The Extra calories. (Sorry For Weird Typing My Phone Is Being Weird)Also have
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Even sweetened stuff counts. I used to work with a guy for a few years who never drank anything but Coke with only one exception which was when he added rum to his Coke. Coke with breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was his little quirk. And yeah, he was overweight, probably technically obese but not morbidly. But he was not dehydrated. So even carbonation, sugar and caffeine don't counteract the hydration. They make it less efficient and I don't recommend drinking nothing but Coke, but it does count toward hydration.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That's cheating. Why don't you count the water in your vegetables too? Or the water from meat? There's water in Pepsi. Would you count that?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My water doesn't turn solid or into something else entirely when I add tea or other flavor to it. It's still a liquid and 99.99% water so I count it as water.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's cheating. Why don't you count the water in your vegetables too? Or the water from meat? There's water in Pepsi. Would you count that?

Cheating? The water count is to make sure you stay properly hydrated; it's not a punishment.