Can you lose weight w/o Exersize?

Options

Replies

• sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I Have Social Anxiety and i dont like going into the gym.

Me too. Yet I joined one anyway. I learned that nobody bothers me and that I should have done it a long time ago.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight without exercise, but put it back on over the years.
    This time is different because I am MOVING my body.
    I was a couch potato, and would be too embarrassed to go to a gym. Also have a few health problems that would exclude some of the exercises there.
    I started out just walking around the block- believe me I was exhausted when I got home, but I just did it every day, slowly increasing by another street/ block.
    I do a brisk walk for at least 60 minutes every day now, sometimes longer, my blood pressure is heaps better, I feel healthier, still have a way to go yet, and also I EARN extra calories if I want to use them.
    And for the budget conscious,, walking is FREE- you can do it any time. Good Luck with your weight loss journey. :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' DVD's are super cheap on Amazon, and they are also very effective. I do them and they're great :)
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started on here with just a deficit and moderate exercise. I then started the 30 Day shred and started feeling stronger and felt more solid. I then got an ankle/foot injury which litrally knocked me out for 2 weeks. I then continued to just keep the deficit and was worried about exercising for a repercussion on my foot.

I contiued to loose but I started to feel like a wobbly jelly (but smaller). I decided I needed to get back with the exercise. I have since been running, swimming I play squash and have started the 30 day shred again.

I used to go to the gym but I am trying to do it this time with things I have at home or access too
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I found for me the only way to keep off the weight I have lost is to exercise. I walked into a gym for the first time at the age of 56 one of the hardest things I have ever done. My body is now stronger and I have gone from a size 14/16 to a size 10 in 5 months. Yes, I know what I should be eating for a healthy diet and I do eat well 90% of the time but it wasn't until I started a program of weight traing and cardio at a gym called Get in Shape for Women that I am finally seeing real results. On the days I don't go to the gym I try and walk 3-5 miles. I believe for many who may be insulin resistant like myself the answer is a combination of diet and exercise. Good luck
  • kizmax
    kizmax Posts: 12
    Options
    I am with everyone else, do it for your HEALTH .. do it in the privacy of your own home, Zumba dvds are great fun .. not at first LOL but I promise you will feel so much better for it in the long run.

I used to HATE exercise, yesterday I ran my first 10K race for charity & I did it in 68 mins .. I NEVER in a million years thought I would run 1k .. 5k for that matter .. but I did it I RAN a full 10K and the feeling was awesome ...

today is a rest day & I feel like I am missing something .. your body will adjust & you will love it. Find something you enjoy & just go for it.
  • joannafarrer
    Options
    yes

Diet = to look good clothed

Exersize = to look good naked

Excellent! In a nutshell.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety as well, and I hate gyms. There are plenty of great suggestions here about exercise that you can do solo, so I won't try to add to that. But what I want to say is this: exercise will make you feel better mentally. It's as good as any anti-anxiety drug. The combination of exercise and a healthy, balanced diet can do wonders for your state of mind.
  • rubystemkowski
    rubystemkowski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How bad is your social anxiety? Sometimes when I find it difficult to motivate myself I begin searching for personal trainers. You can find a good deal if you search around and it can help motivate you!
  • blacksagephoenix
    blacksagephoenix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I Have Social Anxiety and i dont like going into the gym.

Me too. Yet I joined one anyway. I learned that nobody bothers me and that I should have done it a long time ago.

This is very true. Just go and put on some headphones and listen to music. No one really talks to anyone else they don't personally know. Especially if you are listening to music. Then it gets awkward for everyone and so they just avoid you instead.
  • Genore
    Genore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think im going to look into either insanity or P90x and keep and healthy diet and see what happends after 6month or so.. My goal is to lose my man boobs and slim down so i can feel much more confident about myself and go out into the world.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    YES you can. Weightloss is 70% food, 30% exercise. Depends on whether you want to lose weight and still be soft/flabby (depending on how much weight you want to lose) or if you want add exercise for toning etc
  • Erinmarie83
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to workout. You can go for walks or even exercise in your own living room with dvds. Any movement is better than nothing.
  • WandaJean1564
    WandaJean1564 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just a few short walks everyday. and there are tons of exercise videos on youtube...I do a sitting abs exercise from youtube..its only 12 minutes and I do it twice a day...so I do aprx 60 mins of walking and 12 mins of the sitting abs workout.
    I would hate to go to a gym too...it would bother me...but somehow walking in public doesn't...weird huh? lol
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yup. I lost 75 lbs with not one 1 minute of "exercise". I still went to store and did daily routine so I wasn't bed ridden but I didn't actually exercise. Then I figured that I didn't just want to lose weight but wanted to get healthy too, so I added it.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I lost my 1st 75lbs with no exercise at all.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Work out at home. Use DVD's. I did a 3 mile Walk Away the Pounds DVD with weights tonight and I burned over 320 calories.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Yes my friend lost over 50 lbs without exercising at all and just counting calories.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yes you can, you just have to eat less calories than you did before. The Adtkins diet worked for me a few yrs ago, but when you go off of the plan you gain it back if you aren't carefull. Can't you walk ? Cutting your calories and walking will speed up the process, but if you can't then you just have to be carefull of what you eat! Get a notebook and write down everything you eat along with how many calories. That has worked for me very well, it has curbed my wanting to binge at night.

Basil
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight but you will lose muscle mass and be skinny fat, not good.