Anyone else enjoy growing their own fruits and vegs?

Options
pgp90xer
pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
I seem to be making my vegetable garden larger every year. I love being able to go out and pick fresh vegs and prepare them right away for a meal. Not to mention the money you save, you also know that you are getting fresh organic foods! For me my favs are snow peas and green beans.

What do like to plant?

P.s - Unfortunately the birds have discovered my strawberries !@#@!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Our garden gets bigger every year too, but still not as large as I'd like due to my postage stamp sized city yard. This year we've got 10 tomato plants (mostly heirlooms, a few hybrid romas for sauce-making), potatoes, purple and green kale, poblano and serrano peppers, cucumbers, and an herb garden: dill, mint, basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, italian parsley, and chives.

I look forward to tomato season starting in about February :)
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I planted so much, and then my dog that has never had any interest in the plants decided to munch on almost everything when I was at work. After replanting the zucchini twice, I've given up for this year. We have mint, parsley, chives, tomatoes, peas, and rosemary that survived her attacks. Everything else has been dug up.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of room or a patio/outdoor fire escape so right now I'm only growing herbs in my windows but I love it! It's saved me a lot of money too since I always have them, never waste any and don't have to keep buying new packs.
  • auuudriana
    auuudriana Posts: 18
    Options
    My dad grows tomatoes in the backyard which are usually pretty good.
    Also, we have wild strawberries (that are tiny) that grow back there too; they're delicious and so much better than store-bought ones.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am growing rosemary which is doing wonderfully. I had basil and oregano in pots until yesterday and moved them into the ground which is a feat because I live in the Keys and the ground is extremely hard and mostly rock (at least that creates an amazing burn when trying to dig a hole). I have a tomato plant, green tea, mangoes trees, mint, key lime tree and a myer lemon in their respective pots. My only downfall is that the iguanas are crazy here and love everything that is soft leaf. The blackbirds found my citrus too! I just keep chugging along with my garden as I do my weight loss. And my husband loves the mint for his cocktails and it grows like a weed here. I love gardening!
  • Te2005
    Te2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I grow 7 acres of fresh market veggies and start them all from seed. We grow 7 different vireties of hybrid tomatoes, 2 types of cherry tomatoes, 5 types of heirlooms, 4 varities of zucchini, 4 varieties of yellow squah, cucumbers, cantalope melon, greeen red and yellow peppers, jalepeno peppers, pablano pepper, regular egg plant, radishes, lettuce, chinese eggplant... We have a 150 foot row of rasberries. I also grow herbs: basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, chives, oregano, and chilantro
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I grow 7 acres of fresh market veggies and start them all from seed. We grow 7 different vireties of hybrid tomatoes, 2 types of cherry tomatoes, 5 types of heirlooms, 4 varities of zucchini, 4 varieties of yellow squah, cucumbers, cantalope melon, greeen red and yellow peppers, jalepeno peppers, pablano pepper, regular egg plant, radishes, lettuce, chinese eggplant... We have a 150 foot row of rasberries. I also grow herbs: basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, chives, oregano, and chilantro

WOW! 7 acres. I have two rows of raspberries... the best of the summer fruits!
  • akhebert4
    akhebert4 Posts: 9
    Options
    I love my garden! As a teacher, it keeps me busy all summer and I love having all the zucchini, tomatoes, and herbs my husband and I can eat. We also grow peppers, eggplant, squash, okra, and cucumbers. It is a great way to get us to eat our veggies because we never want to "waste" any of it-- even after I pickle or can some of it.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This year we have tomatoes, okra, purple hull peas and green beans....
    We did plant asparagus..it will be ready next year....
    Our squash and zucchini did not make it .....they died from lack of water i guess when we went out of town for a week.
    I have some herbs...parsley, basil, rosemary, tarragon, dill and garlic growing.
    San :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I always have an herb garden going. ..rosemary, thyme, oregano, mint. And I love fresh basil. During the summer I keep a giant pot of it on my deck and in the winter I have an Aerogarden to grow it inside. Same with parsley.

My vegetable garden has various tomatoes, peppers and lettuce. This year we also got some sweet potato plants from a greenhouse near my in-law's house. They had this giant sweet potato green house set up and it was really interesting how they bury the potatoes to produce new plants. The owner was so happy that my husband and I were interested, that he gave us a few plants to try. Not sure how they will do, but I love sweet potatoes, so I hope it works.

We have tried strawberries and blueberries in the past, but those failed miserably.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This year I have green and yellow summer squash, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers, grapes, and eggplant. I've never really eaten eggplant, so it should be fun trying to come up with uses for it!

I grow herbs indoors as well.

I would love to get a pear or peach tree though...anyone in the Northeast have one? Thoughts?
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love having our own garden! I find myself eating a lot of cucumbers lately, they are so good! We tried growing green beans this year and they were successful. If anyone has a good healthy green bean recipe please share :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i stopped having a garden about a decade ago because time just wasnt on my side..this year i have two other people in on the garden to cut costs and time of having one..right now its growing wonderfully well and soon enough ill have more veggies than i know what to do with .. tomatoes are my favorite. we have 25 plants out there growing like wild weed ..whoohooo
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    omg I tried to grow from seed this year, not 2 days after I got the garden all set up and planted, the dogs dug it up completely! I even had a fence around it! I'm thinking of buying seedlings and doing them in pots either hanging or just on the deck.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a home just to have my own garden :( But if I manage to get an apartment with a patio, I'd like to start growing tomatoes and possibly peppers and maybe grow a planter full a variety of lettuce; a "salad bowl".
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I live in town as well, and a small yard without much growing room, but I have strawberries, tomatoes, and herbs spread out through my flower garden, as well as some patio tomatoes growing in pots on my back porch! Oh and a yellow crooked neck squash under my window! I have harvested some squash already! It was super yummy and the patio tomatoes are about the size of my fist! Just waiting for them to turn red! I love the flavor of home grown fruits and veggies so much better than the grocery store produce! Grocery store food is picked too early, has less nutrients and the taste & texture is horrid!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I love growing my own fruit and veg, I started out with one little area which soon increased in size! now I have 3 small beds and several tubs & containers.

Usually most successful with potato, lettace, carrots, runner beans, peas, tomatoes, leeks, courgettes (zuccini!)

I have 2 new raspberry plants this year and trying purple sprouting broccoli & have a cucumber plant on the kitchen windowsill : )
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would love to grow herbs but I've never tried it. I'm afraid I have a bit of a brown thumb. :embarassed:
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Just started this week. When I was young my Grandpa had a full blown garden and I loved it.

I am starting out small with some herbs, strawberries and some peppers. I dont want to get in deeper than I can handle at first.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a huge garden..... Corn, cucumbers, squash, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers, string beans, peas, butter beans, and potatoes. Yummy! :love: