Can you lose weight w/o Exersize?

Options

Replies

• susanne181818
    Options
    The only way I was ever able to do that was with Phentermine and HCG. It was very successful for me! However, the pills kept me up at night and kinda made me feel weirded out! I lost 22 pounds in 2 months and over the year, I gained 10 of those pounds back. (Due to unhealthy eating.) Cardio is a pain, but at least do some weight lifting so your skin looks more firm.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I Have Social Anxiety and i dont like going into the gym.

Try working out at home, or go for walks. Don't need to be cooped up in a gym to get any exercise.
  • Sleepisam
    Sleepisam Posts: 24
    Options

I have a similar issue, I suffered from agoraphobia for a long time and public places like gyms and my own self conscious issues make me not want to go and get sweaty and jiggly in front of other people but there is more to exercise than the gym.

I started out by walking to work. I walk 30-45 minutes per day now, Although I started at just 10 and it was hard. Walking is a good way to just get into a routine of moving. and then once you've started that and have become more comfortable with the idea, consider getting a few small weights.

Muscles requires more energy to maintain than fat so you need to do a few small reps once every other day or so just to build up a little. all of these you can do at home.

If you're really shy, try something like the wiifit plus ( I have this) where you can do some basic muscles exercises and some aerobics stuff too, all in the privacy of your own living room.

Dieting is great but unless you combine it with exercise you won't reach your goal. When you exercise it helps your body to build up the immune system, it improves your brain function and so much more.

Remember to sleep too. Your body burns more calories when asleep than awake because it spends all that time repairing your body. Make sure you always get a solid regular sleep where possible.

:)
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. It will all come down to what you eat.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

that is why head phones exist
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Not an excuse. I have pretty severe Social Anxiety Disorder. I work out at home. I bought a jump rope and a kettlebell (about $20 each), and I download workout videos from YouTube. If I can do it, so can you.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Yes. But your body will look different than if you lost weight with exercise.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options

You don't have to go to the gym. You can exercise at home. Most of my exercise is running and riding bikes, although that isn't how I started. I started just walking to the park and back.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes. /endthread
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The most exercise I have done, is walking. Nuff' said.
  • bamachyck3
    bamachyck3 Posts: 31
    Options

You don't need to go to a gym to exercise. Go for a walk. Do some push ups at home. Something.

I bought Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD on a recommendation from a friend. I don't like working out in front of people either. It's a low impact aerobics workout and I love it! I was doing just low calorie and no exercise and I was getting flabby(er) and getting extra stretch marks (I have some from pregnancy). So, yes, it can be done, but your body won't look the way you want it to if you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree with the couple of people who said "do it for your health"!! Yes you can lose weight without exercise but you will be severely limitting the health benefits you get. Contrary to what SOOOOOO many people on MFP seem to think, weight is not the be-all and end-all of 'health'. Losing it is not a magic bullet to get 'healthy' and carrying a bit of extra weight around does not magically make you unhealthy and prone to disease either (waits for inevitable flaming). If you want to improve your health and wellbeing the best thing you can do is exercise and get fit:) Goodluck with it!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    It will be a very long process to lose the weight though right?
    It is regardless.

It will take longer to reach the desired level of leanness because you will be losing a good deal of lean mass as well as fat.
    [desired level of leanness]

i signed up for mfp thinking if i love 5 lbs that would be a miracle. there was no desired level of leanness when I started.. now tho, 35lbs gone.. I wanna lose my last fatroll.. and yeah for almost a year i did it with no exercise
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

You don't need to go to the gym to get a good work out. There are many good DVD's you can purchase relatively on the cheap at Amazon. I would recommend Leslie Sansone's walk at home DVD's....you get a good work out and there very basic.

Also walking or running outside is exercise too.

I love Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walk. Let me tell you, you feel it during and after you finish the exercise. As far as your question goes yes you can. Just stay within your calorie limit and you can loose. It might come off quick or it might be a slow process each individual is different.
  • fuzz_pawz
    fuzz_pawz Posts: 106
    Options
    It is possible, but exercise is good for you (in moderation), just eating less is could mean you are lacking appropriate nutrients to function

As for not liking the gym...ok, I get that...I don't either..mostly because I hate wasting my money when I can do things at home....walking like everyone has said. I use the xbox kinect to work out. Many workout videos are available out there- you just need to pick what interests you.

Any increase in your usual activity will help
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes but after awhile and you feel better you will want to, no I mean you will WANT TO! Right now exercise is just something else you have to do......grrrr It will happen and it will be good!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Lots of work out dvd's to learn from! You dont have to go to a gym.....I hate the gym! Ask what dvd's people use and what they like to get some ideas. I do Zumba and an Insanity workout......
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Echoing the other 67 people who said you dont need a gym.
    I also agree with the posters and doctors that said to get your diet under control first, then worry about exercise. Trust me once you have the first part down, you will WANT to go further and start exercising.

If you really want weights and stuff, do what I did... start scouring pawn shops and yard sales and build your own damn gym. Most people get bright ideas around New Years, buy tons of exercise equipment, them dump it almost new a few months later. I have a weight bench, treadmill, exercise bike, as well as a yoga mat for bodyweight exercises... and I got it all cheap cheap cheap!
    Next will be an elliptical and some kettlebells.

Who needs a Gym. All this stuff cost me less than a years gym membership I bet.
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options

Me to .... So I exercise at home and I do take walks outside when I can get myself to leave the house... I have a treadmill and a stationary bike, a gazelle and exercise balls and bands a few light weights. I aquired them slowly over a few years. Plus I do floor exercises. I actually started out doing just floor exercises while watching tv and pacing back and forth in my house from room to room because I was to weak to do much more than that several years ago but I'm a lot stronger now.
  • Genore
    Genore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is what im trying to do right now is try and build my own gym at home.