Grocery shopping on a budget :)

Options
I am looking for any tips, ideas, recipes etc. for shopping on a budget. I usually only grocery shop twice a week. It is not ideal for me to buy too many fruits or veggies at once because they wont survive. I buy frozen bagged berries, and frozen chicken breast, are these any different nutrition wise than buying fresh?

Replies

• Suziq38
    Suziq38 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Costco has a good roasted chicken, ready to go.
    It is $4.99.
    Is it just you, or how many people eat at dinner?
    Anyway...
    The first night I make chicken breast and vegetables.
    The second night I make tacos.
    The third night I make a salad with shredded chicken.
    The fourth night I make a chicken noodle soup.
    All from the same $4.99 chicken.
  • Cwest88
    Cwest88 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks! It is myself, my husband, and 5 year old. And of course, i'm the only one trying to lose weight lol.
    we use chicken often, too. I have purchased can chicken breast for tacos also. Thanks for the tips!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How many people are you cooking for? Fresh is always better, but if the food would spoil and not get eaten, then you are better off with the frozen, which is still better than buying canned fruit and veggies which are loaded with extra sugar and salt and have lost vitamins. As far as meats go, look for sales. Sometimes a two or three pound pack of chicken breasts on sale can be cheaper per pound than the bone-in ones, and you get lots more meat. Individually wrap and freeze whatever you won't be using right away and thaw it as needed.

Oops, just saw you answered the "how many" question!
  • Cwest88
    Cwest88 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you Devonette!
  • Suziq38
    Suziq38 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would watch for the sales at the grocery stores in your area.
    The sale fliers come out on Wednesdays in our state (California).
    Yesterday I bought asparagus for $1.99 a pound, cucumbers for 49 cents each, a small watermelon for $1.99,
    and dare I say it..an avocado for $1.00. The avocados are good for you, but fattening.

I stick to mostly vegetables.

I also like a huge bag of romaine lettuce spears (Costco for $2.99) and some fresh baby green lettuce.

I make a salad everyday, and it is cheap!
    Lay off of the meats as the main part of the meal.Cut it in half.

You will see your grocery bill shrink and so will you at the same time!

The local farmer's markets at swap meets are also very good at providing cheap, fresh vegetables and fruits.
    I like to visit them at about 12:30 or 1:00, so that they lower their prices.

I have gotten bags of produce for $1.00 each when I go later.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Planning. Make a list of what you need and stick to it. :smile: