Apples - I'm allergic now??

Options
I used to eat apples all of the time. I just started eating them again, and every time I do, the inside of my mouth starts itching like crazy. I was never allergic before. What gives?? This is going to suck, if I can't have apples.

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen with apples and cherries, and my doc said it could also be an allergy to to the pesticides (unless your eating organic already?)
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I developed my allergy at 8 years old. There's just some raw produce I'm sensitive to I guess, but cooking it changes the protein so I'm able to eat cooked apples, and spinach, cauliflower, pineapple, and a few other things!
    Also - weirdly enough, I can eat Asian Pears with no reaction - and they're quite similar to apples! Maybe give those a try?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Have you tried organize apples? If it's the pesticide they would be okay. If they're not okay it's the apples. Sorry it's affecting you that way. It really sucks.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but my sister developed an allergy to apples when she was 25, so it does happen. If it's a full allergy, you need to watch many of the foods you buy - there are so many that have apples hidden in them that you may not realize, drinks especially.
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me but not just apples. Stone fruit and melons are bad too. I've tried organic and using cleaners and everything else. Nothing helps! The only time I can eat apples is in the fall when I pick them right off of the tree.
  • NJTeacher411
    NJTeacher411 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I ate them off the tree in the fall, they didn't have an effect on me.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I acquired an allergy to bananas and strawberries. Now I do not have an allergy to any of them - lasted for about 8 years or so

It is crazy but it can happen
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me but not just apples. Stone fruit and melons are bad too. I've tried organic and using cleaners and everything else. Nothing helps! The only time I can eat apples is in the fall when I pick them right off of the tree.

Same thing happens to me, even eating organic or using cleaners, I can't eat them unless they have been cooked a little, then I can have them. I guess it's just our environment changing and our bodies as well. I can have the apples, when I pick them myself from the orchard also.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Other than my other standard allergies (anything that lives and grows)....and shellfish. I developed allergies to Apples, Cherries, Pears, Peaches....so when they're in season, or I know i'll be eating one, I pop a 24hr Zyrtec...works for small Apple/Cherry allergies.....would never try for Shellfish, would probably be the last thing I ever did.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's said that allergies are in your genes, but they're sometimes not "unlocked" for several years. Some people develop an allergy at 8, others at 25. My aunt is 40-something, and she's only been allergic to peanuts for the past ten years or so.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    Have you tried peeling them? If it's pesticides, they might just be on the skin. I love peeled, sliced apple with cinnamon sugar or peanut butter :)
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I got allergic to apples when I was 18...it does happen. Now I can't eat most fresh fruit. I can once I cook them to break down what is making me allergic. It's an oral allergy. It sucks as I used to love apples!
  • jessbb23
    jessbb23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also had this happen 5 years ago when I was 32. At the same time I found out I have an allergy to peanuts, eggs and strawberries. All foods I had eaten for years with no problems. I had been suffering and didn't know why. I did eat an apple slice the other day and was ok. My doctor explained it to me this way. Think of your body having food "buckets" . With foods that we eat all the time sometimes the buckets overflow and our bodies develop allergies or intolerances to them. He advised me not to eat the same foods all the time or it could happen with other foods. I have started to test this theory and have had some egg this past month. It seems if I eat it in a baked good and not every day I can tolerate it in small amounts.
    Sorry this happened to you....it sucks!
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    sorry to hear this...I understand tho...my son has egg ..peanut..and shellfish allergies---not me personally allergic but creates a challenge to cook!
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same issue. Though, it develops to be a new fruit/veggie every few years. Eventually, it seems as though I'll be allergic to everything! I finally found an allergist at John's Hopkins in Baltimore, MD that knows her stuff. Apparently it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome The proteins/enzymes in fresh fruits and veggies are very similar to those in tree/grass pollen. Therefore, those of us with tree/grass allergies bodies think that we are ingesting massive quantities of pollen, not fruit, therefore we have an allergic reaction. Having allergy shots will typically not help, as it's not actually the fruit or vegetable that you're allergic to. The only real thing to do is to cook the fruits/veggies as it will denature the enzyme that you are "allergic" to. Also, taking an antihistamine (Benadryl) will ease the issues should you eat something you shouldn't. For more information on the different trees that are associated with different fruits, check out this link: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/oral-allergy-syndrome-foods.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    An apple allergy would make me a very sad panda.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same issue. Though, it develops to be a new fruit/veggie every few years. Eventually, it seems as though I'll be allergic to everything! I finally found an allergist at John's Hopkins in Baltimore, MD that knows her stuff. Apparently it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome The proteins/enzymes in fresh fruits and veggies are very similar to those in tree/grass pollen. Therefore, those of us with tree/grass allergies bodies think that we are ingesting massive quantities of pollen, not fruit, therefore we have an allergic reaction. Having allergy shots will typically not help, as it's not actually the fruit or vegetable that you're allergic to. The only real thing to do is to cook the fruits/veggies as it will denature the enzyme that you are "allergic" to. Also, taking an antihistamine (Benadryl) will ease the issues should you eat something you shouldn't. For more information on the different trees that are associated with different fruits, check out this link: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/oral-allergy-syndrome-foods.

Sounds pretty much what I end up with....it really sucks when White Peaches are in, and i'm out in the car with the wife....pick some up, and have to wait till i get home...then wait an hour for pills to work....
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty much what I end up with....it really sucks when White Peaches are in, and i'm out in the car with the wife....pick some up, and have to wait till i get home...then wait an hour for pills to work....

I do the same thing some times. I love fresh cherries but they're a killer for me. Sometimes you just gotta have some cherries!
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    Try peeling the apple (if you haven't done so already)...It could actually be the pollen on the apple peel that could be causing this. Just a suggestion, as I saw Dr. Oz talking about this on the Today Show a few weeks ago!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to pineapple, avocado, tomato, and bananas. I thought it was just something I had to deal with. I still eat avocado something fierce though!