Beginning Running

Options
I've always wanted to be a runner since my teens but I've never quite accomplished it. Always a beginner, then gave up, back again, then given up again. But I still keep coming back at it, and I still have the desire to accomplish it even at 48 yrs. old now. Nothing is too late if you've got the drive.
I could jog 10 minutes straight but my heart rate is up to the roof (179 bpm!). And this is just a slow jog! I am 5'6" @ 160 lbs. I wish I could jog/ run at ease at least 30 min. straight everyday. A marathon is my dream. Any tips would be appreciated ))

Replies

• foodietrudie
    Options
    You have to pace your and ease into it! Try jogging 3 minutes than walking 5-6 minutes. Do this for a total of 20 minutes. About two and a half to three and a half weeks into it walk one less minute and run one more minute. If you feel like your not ready to progress than take another week. Pretty soon you'll be able to run/jog for a straight mile or more! Good luck:bigsmile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's never too late!
    I started running last year at 44 - I was very unfit and about 50 pounds overweight. I always wanted to run but thought that I could never do it. Luckily I stuck to it long enough to prove myself wrong, now I'm training for a half marathon,
    Check out a beginners running program that guides you through gradually increasing your intervals - C25K is very popular but there are others too.
  • Gilllll
    Gilllll Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree, it's never too late!
    I started running last year at 44 - I was very unfit and about 50 pounds overweight. I always wanted to run but thought that I could never do it. Luckily I stuck to it long enough to prove myself wrong, now I'm training for a half marathon,
    Check out a beginners running program that guides you through gradually increasing your intervals - C25K is very popular but there are others too.

I use a heart rate monitor, that's why I could see exactly if it's to the roof. Would you happen to know your heart rate at the middle of your running? (That is if you're wearing a heart rate monitor watch)
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I do have a heart rate monitor but I'm really not sure how accurate it is - and I do know that my max heart rate is definitely not in the range that is usually estimated.
    On a regular (slow) run it probably sits around 150 or so, when I'm working harder it averages in the high 170s. It's not unusual for me to be up in the 180, 190 and the max I've seen when I looked back at my records on line was well above 200 (actually 230 and 228 recently, but I'm sure that has to be a technology glitch!).

I went to my doctor last year to have a check up and to ask him if there was anything I needed to be concerned about with increasing running. Everything came back normal (boring he said!) so I was cleared to run as much as I like!

If you feel as though your HR is getting too high, run slower. I might feel as though you are going REALLY slowly, but for me, running slowly was the key to building up distance. Now I can do the distance, I'm working on picking up my speed.
  • Gilllll
    Options
    I am actually brisk walking one hour everyday (2.5 hrs/ day on Fri/Sat), and off Sundays. I read that brisk walking only builds up your heart rate no more than 65% of your target heart rate zone which is in the fat burning zone. While running is over this range, therefore burns sugar, not fat. What do you guys think of this?
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I am actually brisk walking one hour everyday (2.5 hrs/ day on Fri/Sat), and off Sundays. I read that brisk walking only builds up your heart rate no more than 65% of your target heart rate zone which is in the fat burning zone. While running is over this range, therefore burns sugar, not fat. What do you guys think of this?

I'm pretty sure that I've read that you still burn fat when you go faster, but the ratio is different (I think).
    The issue I have with the percentages is that without knowing quite what my max heart rate is, its hard to know where the numbers should be.
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Never too late! I am 5'5" was 207... 5 yrs ago, I am now running about 110 minutes 3-5x per week. I started out walk, jog, walk jog etc
    Couch ton5 k is good
    Run your butt off is also good!
  • Gilllll
    Options

I'm pretty sure that I've read that you still burn fat when you go faster, but the ratio is different (I think).
    The issue I have with the percentages is that without knowing quite what my max heart rate is, its hard to know where the numbers should be.

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula
    •MHR = 220 - Age
  • Gilllll
    Options
    I think "commitment" is the key ))
  • Pebble321
    Options

!

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula
    •MHR = 220 - Age

And that's where the problem lies for me.... by that formula I should have a max heart rate of 175 - but that is pretty much a regular run for me, my hrm has recorded numbers over 200 quite a few times. That's a huge difference when it comes to working out the numbers.
    Even when I found a web page that used about 8 different formulas to give an estimated max hr, they varied so much (about 167 - 185) but still didn't seem to be close to what my hrm tells me.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I think "commitment" is the key ))

And yes, I agree! Commitment plus awareness of your body work well together. I think I went out too far too fast and have had a few injuries which stopped me in my tracks. Running regularly, not increasing distance or speed too fast, building in rest days and looking after my body seems to work for me.
  • Gilllll
    Options

!

•MHR = 220 - Age

And that's where the problem lies for me.... by that formula I should have a max heart rate of 175 - but that is pretty much a regular run for me, my hrm has recorded numbers over 200 quite a few times. That's a huge difference when it comes to working out the numbers.
    Even when I found a web page that used about 8 different formulas to give an estimated max hr, they varied so much (about 167 - 185) but still didn't seem to be close to what my hrm tells me.

So my question is, at 200+ bpm, are you huffin' and puffin' out o breath like you gonna die? Or is this a relaxed run for you?
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a program like Couch to 5K. Because it's a gradual increase in running time, the body adjusts and strengthens slowly. After 9 weeks of the program you will be up to 30 minutes of running and I bet your heart rate won't be as high as it has been.
  • beautifulblac84
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a program like Couch to 5K. Because it's a gradual increase in running time, the body adjusts and strengthens slowly. After 9 weeks of the program you will be up to 30 minutes of running and I bet your heart rate won't be as high as it has been.

^^^ what she said
  • Gilllll
    Options

Thanks Lily, I'll read up on that ))
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's never too late, I ran my first 5K in 2009 when I was 53 and ran my 3rd half marathon a couple of weeks ago.

The most important things to keep in mind are progressing at your rate ( the whole process is a marathon, not a sprint so build up your endurance gradually) and consistency, get out 3 or 4 times per week (every 2nd day seems to work well for most people - cross train between running days) and aim for 20 to 30 minutes each session - even if you're walking most of the time at first just getting out develops the habit.

If there's a running store or club close to you check to see if they have a learn to run group. Many of them will have a couple of group runs each week and most welcome runners of all abilities, another way to add a social element to you running which may make it more enjoyable.

Remember that most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast. Listen to your body and have fun!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Work up to it. Jog/walk combos. As you progress you'll find you jog more and walk less. That is what I have been doing and am slowly making progress. The main thing is to just hang in there and keep doing it.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I have a question about running. I've always want to be a runner and theres a 10 mile race in my city that i've always wanted to do..

but what I'm curious about is should I try to start running program now or should I wait until I get to a certain weight to make it easier on myself. I'm currently about 283ish and that seems like a lot of weight to be running with on my joints. andy advice y'all could give me would be appreciated.

:o)
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend you start with the C25K program. It is terrific, and it builds up endurance gradually.

www.C25K.com

For half-marathon and marathon training, Hal Higdon has some excellent (free) training programs for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advance level runners.

www.halhigdon.com

I find following a training program helps focus on increasing goals, and the gradual progression guards against over-training (and resulting injury). There's nothing more frustrating than being sidelined in the midst of achieving your goals!

Too, I'm an advocate for intervals (running/quick walking) for beginners. It allows you to still take part in races as you build endurance.

Good luck! :)
  • cdf911gurl
    Options
    I started w/ Couch to 5K last year and just completed a half marathon! You can totally do this. The C25K plan is great because you can slowly build up the running. You don't have to be fast. Just a bit faster than your power walking. No matter your weight! They do it on the biggest loser all the time. If you're worried, consult a doctor before you start. Just pace yourself. don't over do it.