Make me like fish!

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I want to like fish, really bad. It's so good for you and an awesome part of any diet.

But I just can't seem to like it. The only thing I can handle is tuna from a can, fried catfish, and popcorn shrimp.

The last two aren't really healthy since they are fried though.

Are there any ways to like add fish into a meal? Like not eating a piece of fish as a portion, I mean like mixing it in with veggies or rice or something.

Any recipes I should try?

Replies

• peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing ever, and so delicious:

Take a peice of salmon and put it under the broiler, skin side up. Once the skin is crisp, take it out and remove the skin with tongs (I feed it to the dog- she loves it and it is fantastic for her coat!), then put the fish back under the broiler with whatever sauce you like brushed on top of the now skinless salmon (the kids *love* it with bbq sauce or teriaki). Broil for 5 minutes and then flip it, brush on more glaze and broil it for 5 more minutes. So tasty and super easy! Salmon can hold up to stronger flavors as it is quite dense and fatty (the good kind of fatty), so it is great to experiment with :)
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you dig spicy, but if you do, this is deeeeelicious:
    http://cookthis.menshealth.com/recipes/cook-chili-glazed-salmon

i'm not a big fan of seafood that isn't shrimp or scallops, but i'd eat this every day of my life, if i could.
  • wedvc2009
    wedvc2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm really into talapia tacos. I season a few fillets up with some lime juice and a little cajun seasonings. Then blacken up in a nonstick skillet. Warm some corn tortillas add avacodo, red onion, cilantro, fat free sour cream or tomatos and there wonderful!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lobster. Most supermarkets will even steam it for you. 142 calories. per lobster.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with salmon unless it is seasoned or try this: mix olive oil mayonnaise, green onion, parmesan cheese and a little lemon juice. Mix together and spread over salmon. Bake for 30 mins and is will make a crust over the fish that is excellent.
  • coffeeluver18
    Options
    Tilapia with lemon is one of my favorites. If you put plenty of lemon juice on it that is mostly what you taste.
  • isweatglitter
    Options
    I was gonna say fry it. I mean, it's not totally healthy, but once in a while it can be :) Try frying it in olive oil or even pan frying it?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i LOVE salmon broiled in lemon juice then served with avocado on top mmmm
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I want to like fish, really bad. It's so good for you and an awesome part of any diet.

But I just can't seem to like it. The only thing I can handle is tuna from a can, fried catfish, and popcorn shrimp.

The last two aren't really healthy since they are fried though.

Are there any ways to like add fish into a meal? Like not eating a piece of fish as a portion, I mean like mixing it in with veggies or rice or something.

Any recipes I should try?

I, like you, have tried and tried to like it. I can't get fish or any kind of seafood down. It's the taste, smell, etc. :(
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love shrimp (just steam cooked) and cocktail sauce. Bookbinder is my favorite. However, it is hard to find shrimp that doesn't come from the Gulf.

(No, I don't believe British Petroleum's "everything is fine in the Gulf" ads.)
  • Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    OK, first try this recipe with tuna from a can. If you like it with tuna, try it with a different kind of fish (fresh tuna?). Cook the other kinds of fish first, then add to this recipe.

Start a pot of water boiling for spaghetti.
    Chop an onion and a stalk of celery well, sauté in a little olive oil in a LARGE sauté pan with a lid. When they start to soften, add a can of petite diced tomatoes and cover in case it splatters. Chop up 10-12 capers and throw those in the pan with salt, pepper, and some parsley, either fresh or dried. Drain the canned tuna well, squeezing out every bit of liquid. When the tomatoes have cooked for a while and the whole mixture is heated through, add the tuna and mix well, mashing the tuna into the tomatoes a bit. It should be a little soupy, as this is a sauce. If you like things spicy, shake some cayenne pepper into it.
    When the water boils, drop the spaghetti in. When it is done, drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the tuna sauce. Mix well, heat through and serve. Do NOT grate cheese over this. If you want to sprinkle anything on it, it should be toasted breadcrumbs.

The tomatoes are acidy, the capers have a strong flavor, and between the two, they can make fish taste less overtly fishy.