Apples - I'm allergic now??

Options
2»

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same issue. Though, it develops to be a new fruit/veggie every few years. Eventually, it seems as though I'll be allergic to everything! I finally found an allergist at John's Hopkins in Baltimore, MD that knows her stuff. Apparently it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome The proteins/enzymes in fresh fruits and veggies are very similar to those in tree/grass pollen. Therefore, those of us with tree/grass allergies bodies think that we are ingesting massive quantities of pollen, not fruit, therefore we have an allergic reaction. Having allergy shots will typically not help, as it's not actually the fruit or vegetable that you're allergic to. The only real thing to do is to cook the fruits/veggies as it will denature the enzyme that you are "allergic" to. Also, taking an antihistamine (Benadryl) will ease the issues should you eat something you shouldn't. For more information on the different trees that are associated with different fruits, check out this link: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/oral-allergy-syndrome-foods.
    This is really interesting info - thanks! My son has complained of the same thing and I thought it was just an excuse so he wouldn't have to eat fruits and veggies (he's 19 now but has been saying this for years). He is allergic to a bunch of trees and grasses - so now this makes sense!!
  • _onYxx_
    _onYxx_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had this for years. I'm curious, what's the downside of eating the apples anyway, besides the itchy sensation? I admit, I just eat them anyway and I'm still alive...I think.

Also, I seem experience the itch in my mouth/throat whether the apples are organic or not. And the "allergy" seems to come and go. I have been eating an apple every day for the past several months and have experienced the itch only a few times.
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting info - thanks! My son has complained of the same thing and I thought it was just an excuse so he wouldn't have to eat fruits and veggies (he's 19 now but has been saying this for years). He is allergic to a bunch of trees and grasses - so now this makes sense!!

My mom said the same thing! HAHA She swore that I hated apples and carrots when I really love them, just allergic!
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had this for years. I'm curious, what's the downside of eating the apples anyway, besides the itchy sensation? I admit, I just eat them anyway and I'm still alive...I think.

Also, I seem experience the itch in my mouth/throat whether the apples are organic or not. And the "allergy" seems to come and go. I have been eating an apple every day for the past several months and have experienced the itch only a few times.

Some people also have upset stomachs after they eat the fruits/veggies they are allergic to. i don't but have met a few who have. Usually, OAS symptoms aren't severe enough to be life-threatening, just uncomfortable. So, if I'm really craving something, I'll eat it anyway.
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried peeling them? If it's pesticides, they might just be on the skin. I love peeled, sliced apple with cinnamon sugar or peanut butter :)

Peeling doesn't help either. Cooked is ok and if I pick them fresh myself, other than that, it's really uncomfortable.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My daughter developed this allergy the last few years. She is now 21. She tried an organic apple, and got the same reaction. Itchy, and it also gets worse every time. She can eat applesauce, though.
  • xlunins
    xlunins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same allergy, to raw apples, cherries, pears, peaches, figs, etc. I've been cutting off skin, buying farmer's market/organic or growing my own and it makes no difference. Turns out it's a severe reaction to tree pollen allergy. Once cooked though I can eat any fruit, I let apples simmer in a little water for maybe 10-15 minutes, they're still good.
  • neeping
    neeping Posts: 1
    Options
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2007/12/11/a-pesky-allergy-to-fruit-and-vegetables

The allergies can occur at any point in your life and this article talks about which pollen you are allergic to with whichever groups of food that is giving you problems and also lists all the things you can do to break down the proteins that trigger the reaction.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    as said a few times already. do organic apples have the same effect?

I feel like its probably a pesticide
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wash them good, I use to have that same issue with a lot of raw fruits and vegetables and come to find out I wasn't allergic to the fruit itself, but the chemicals that they use on the fruit that would cause my throat and mouth to itch.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if someone has already posted this. If it is the actual apple you are allergic to, you can microwave the fruit for 30 seconds and then chill it back down. My allergist told me that this is sufficient to break down the protein that causes the allergic reaction. This advice was for all fruit allergies.
  • rairai979
    rairai979 Posts: 52
    Options
    I developed MANY food allergies as an adult, and apples are one of them. It's hard for me, because I love juice, and apples are found in most juices.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    It sounds like it is a pesticide. Try washing with 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water. This will neutralize any pesticides/chemicals that is on the apples. I make a habit of washing everything this way.

Also are you on any medications? there are some medications that will have this affect on people as well. so It may not just be the apples.

OH an BTW there is no vinegar taste.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I ate them off the tree in the fall, they didn't have an effect on me.

Then try peeling them to see if it's the pesticide you're reacting too. Or try organic if you're already peeling.

If you're still reacting you might have developed an allergy since fall and your choices are meds or quitting. Or checking with your doctor if any meds you're on could be making it happen.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow i don't feel so alone any more, i am down to just a handful of fruits i can eat.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's common to suddenly develop an allergic reaction. Especially to things you've eaten a lot of. I became allergic to wheat, so I switched to corn, and within a year, I was horribly allergic to corn too. So frustrating. One note on allergies: if you are allergic to something, your reaction will become stronger with subsequent exposure. Meaning, if you keep eating apples, your allergy will probably become worse over time.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Wow i don't feel so alone any more, i am down to just a handful of fruits i can eat.

I can't eat apples, cherries, grapes or pears. I also can't eat dairy, wheat, oats, corn, barley, or rye. I also can't eat broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, or eggplant. And I discovered this one yesterday: cashews. Oh yeah, and I just cut out sugar because I gave up on food and started living on candy. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted. Now I can eat a few dozen foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I ate them off the tree in the fall, they didn't have an effect on me.

That sounds like a pollen allergy. It will be stronger in the spring and weaken as more pollen is washed off by rain throughout the growing season. If it's pollen, peeling and washing the apples well can help. Cooking them can also.

But it also could be acid content, which can vary by type of apple and growing season. The acid in some fruits make me get icthy bumps in my mouth, especially fresh pineapple. But sometimes apples or tomatoes get me too.