why i look better but it dont show on scale?

Options
ok i joined mfp in feb

i started on 1.200 cals a day then i changed it about a month ago to 1,500 as i learnt more about tdee ect

i have completly changed my diet n eat clean n im very into body builders diets as i want to burn fat without loosing muscle

im 5 ft 6 weight is 178 ibs im 26 n i put on weight due to pregancy last year my goal weight is atleast 140

so i been doing 30 day shred in mornings before i eat,alot of walking with pushchair n using dumbells in with my strength trainning n hiit trainning

i can see i look much better tahn i did after having my baby n my hubby also tells me my body looking good again n few family members noticed i lost weigt

but the scales havnt even gone down a ib??? i lost 10 ibs first two weeks which must been water weight so why aint i loosing ibs n my inches hasnt changed much either for a while its gone down from what it was after had my baby by alot but all this healthy eating n working out n i thought i would lost more inches also since doing that ?

where am i going wrong? i drink loads n loads water help?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? Isn't your goal to look better?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    muscle ways more then fat have you gained any muscle?
  • Leylaos
    Leylaos Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    maybe cz i want a healthy bmi not just to look better
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    muscle doesnt weight more then fat...5lbs is 5lbs period however muscle is much more dense taking up less space then fat
  • Leylaos
    Options
    muscle ways more then fat have you gained any muscle?

i feel like my legs ive got more muscle n i feel alot stronger than before but then i thought u didnt gain muscle if u eating on low calories??
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Does it matter if the scale is going down if you look better?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    muscle doesnt weight more then fat...5lbs is 5lbs period however muscle is much more dense taking up less space then fat

5lb of muscle takes up less space than 5lb of fat...and you could be losing inches someplace that you aren't measuring.
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

which means one cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat, and therefore muscle DOES weigh more than fat
  • Leylaos
    Options
    Does it matter if the scale is going down if you look better?

yes because i want to be in healthy bmi range also the plan is too burn fat n not muscle so if the sclaes not going down am i burning any fat?
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Forget the BMI...get a simple tape measure and take measurements..My BMI is really High....just not concerned. I look at Body Fat% and try to stay at the same weight....
  • jaspn1981
    jaspn1981 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The BMI is a joke, and no one seriously interested in health and fitness should use it.
    Use measurements around various parts of the body, body-fat measurements, and just how you look and feel. if you are looking good, and feeling great then you're doing the right things regardless of the BMI.
  • Leylaos
    Options
    ok i joined mfp in feb

i started on 1.200 cals a day then i changed it about a month ago to 1,500 as i learnt more about tdee ect

i have completly changed my diet n eat clean n im very into body builders diets as i want to burn fat without loosing muscle

im 5 ft 6 weight is 178 ibs im 26 n i put on weight due to pregancy last year my goal weight is atleast 140

so i been doing 30 day shred in mornings before i eat,alot of walking with pushchair n using dumbells in with my strength trainning n hiit trainning

i can see i look much better tahn i did after having my baby n my hubby also tells me my body looking good again n few family members noticed i lost weigt

but the scales havnt even gone down a ib??? i lost 10 ibs first two weeks which must been water weight so why aint i loosing ibs n my inches hasnt changed much either for a while its gone down from what it was after had my baby by alot but all this healthy eating n working out n i thought i would lost more inches also since doing that ?

where am i going wrong? i drink loads n loads water help?

i want to know about scales as im wanting to burn body fat n be in healthy bmi range so if im burning fat would it show on the scale?
  • Leylaos
    Options
    Forget the BMI...get a simple tape measure and take measurements..My BMI is really High....just not concerned. I look at Body Fat% and try to stay at the same weight....

thanks for ur answer ok so im burning fat will it show on scale or only body fat %?
  • Leylaos
    Options
    The BMI is a joke, and no one seriously interested in health and fitness should use it.
    Use measurements around various parts of the body, body-fat measurements, and just how you look and feel. if you are looking good, and feeling great then you're doing the right things regardless of the BMI.

thank you :)
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Although you should know your BMI you have to understand that if you are fit and have plenty of muscle your BMI will still be high. It is a population number that may or may not work for you. You would be better off going with tracking %bodyfat, which is super hard to measure correctly, but you can use it for watching trends to ensure you are going down, not up. And then measure using a tape measure and determine if you are losing inches or not. If you feel good and look good then your doing good.
  • khorudko
    khorudko Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree that BMI is a joke.
    As a health care professional I can tell you the the most important measurement you need to be concerned about is your waist measurement. Your waist measurement should be less than or equal to one half of your height. So at 5'6" you are 66 inches in height therefore your waist measurement should be 33 inches or less. Waist measurement is a better indicator of health and your risk of a cardiac is significantly reduced.
    As long as you are making healthy choices and being more active you should not let the scales dictate your success (I know that is easier said than done).
  • Leylaos
    Options
    I agree that BMI is a joke.
    As a health care professional I can tell you the the most important measurement you need to be concerned about is your waist measurement. Your waist measurement should be less than or equal to one half of your height. So at 5'6" you are 66 inches in height therefore your waist measurement should be 33 inches or less. Waist measurement is a better indicator of health and your risk of a cardiac is significantly reduced.
    As long as you are making healthy choices and being more active you should not let the scales dictate your success (I know that is easier said than done).

thank you u made me feel much better my waist is 34 inches i wanna get back to atleast 28 n my hip n bust 40 inches ur right is importnant is just when u go to gp they make such a fuss about bmi
  • khorudko
    khorudko Posts: 5
    Options
    That will change eventually. It is my understanding that BMI scales were created by insurance companies. It does not take into account bone structure, lean muscle mass or fitness level. Waist measurement does not either however, there are studies out that show that the waist measurement is reliable as well as a predictor of cardiac events.
    It will just take time for physicians to get used to the new data.
    Enjoy your healthy choices and being a positive role model for your family. I too am in the same boat as you where the scale has not moved for weeks yet I am working out and losing inches everywhere. After reading the study, I am finally at a place where I don't sweat what the scale says, I just keep my tape measure handy and enjoy fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes.
  • Leylaos
    Options
    That will change eventually. It is my understanding that BMI scales were created by insurance companies. It does not take into account bone structure, lean muscle mass or fitness level. Waist measurement does not either however, there are studies out that show that the waist measurement is reliable as well as a predictor of cardiac events.
    It will just take time for physicians to get used to the new data.
    Enjoy your healthy choices and being a positive role model for your family. I too am in the same boat as you where the scale has not moved for weeks yet I am working out and losing inches everywhere. After reading the study, I am finally at a place where I don't sweat what the scale says, I just keep my tape measure handy and enjoy fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes.

everything u said makes sense thank u so much hope ur weight loss journey continues well keep at he good work :)