five finger Vibram shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Great shoes NB minimus. But blew out on both feet at the little toe area, broke through the fabric. In the process of returning them, getting replacement.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have a pair that I got for walking. I had been walking in a good pair of Saucony shoes but my the tops of my feet, ankles, shins and knees would hurt. I got the Vibrams after doing some reading about how feet are supposed to work. No pain. At all. You do have to be careful to let the muscles in your feet build up and to develop some good calluses. I had been walking for 2 miles a day for a couple weeks and then went on a 7 mile cross country hike. My muscles had built up and felt fine but I did get some blisters. Still, 7 miles on rough terrain and not a bit of muscle pain.
    I love these shoes so much they've become my weekend shoes. It's like walking barefoot without the danger of tetanus, staph, glass, etc. The only drawback is that the socks don't work well with my feet. I have short toes and the socks hang off the end and then I can't get them in the toes of the shoe. No big deal though. If the shoes get stinky you can toss them in the wash. My husband has finger toes and the socks work great for him. He even wears the socks without the shoes.
    Best. Shoes. Ever.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    more bump....i am seriously considering buying vibrams
  • drayNOTdre
    drayNOTdre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump for lata!
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies!!!! im going to ask for some for my bday
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention a great site for VFF stuff: www.birthdayshoes.com

It'll give you plenty to drool over until your bday :)
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    you know those toe shoes some people are wearing are you one of them? if so please tell me what kind you have and whether or not i should buy them? I want some but i cant decide if its worth the money so if anyone has any plz put your 2 cents in here

Yes. I have Classics in every color made including the wool ones. I also have a pair of KSO and Bilikas.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just sent me this. Definitely seems worth a read before jumping right into "barefoot running". Good luck!

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/23/153373701/happy-feet-tips-for-healthier-running
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Are you already a runner? If so, do you get pain from running? Then it might be a good idea to buy these. If your original running shoes have served you fine until now, I would suggest just sticking with those. There's not reason to fix what's not broken.

Not trying to criticize these shoes or anything, but they can also contribute to running injuries (as can improper form, overtraining, etc.). You see this common in people who do not slowly transition into using these shoes. If you start using these shoes, I would suggest *very* slowly increasing your milage with them. They make you use muscles that you are likely not used to. I've seen a couple overly enthusiastic runners getting injuries within the 1st week of buying, so you do want to give your body time to adjust.

I guess if you are not looking to run in these shoes, then you can ignore everything I said. I have found traditional running shoes to work perfectly fine for me (and I never spend over $100 on a pair), so I have no desire to spend more money and time getting used to vibrams. If I had a history of running injuries, as mentioned by others, I would probably feel differently.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Go and get fitted at a runner store before spending the money.

These are very trendy right now and are not for everyone.

ditto on that these are not a cure all - I know a running store owner who said that over half of the people who buy them come back in complaining of injury. He had a pro baseball player come in wanting to try them out and he refused to sell them to him until after the season was over.

If you are curious about running 'barefoot', go to a track/football field, and run barefoot. for free!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Komodo's that I use for outside running and KSO's for all my leg work and kickboxing. I LOVE my shoes and take very good care of them. Got them cheap too. Only $64.00 a pair online since they came directly from China.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love my vibrams. regular running shoes have always hurt my feet, I have to komodo one, i use them for hiking (on very un-groomed trails) and as long as your don't stub your toe on a rock, they are just great. so much better for rough terrain b/c you can really feel the ground.

I did get pretty bad blisters the firs ttime i wore mine, but that was my own fault, i walked right through a muddle puddle, and got a bunch of grit in the shoes, then walked another 7k.

Go to a store to buy them so you can try them on. It's very important to have the right size!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of FILA Skele-Toes. I believe mine are the "turbo" style. I cannot work out comfortably with ANY shoe on. I am not a small person by any means, but wearing shoes always felt like I was working against them rather than with them. When attempting to run, I would always end up with shins splints, knee pain and hip pain. I LOVE these shoes. Doing Zumba in normal shoes is impossible and I can barely tell I'm wearing these. I will say, though, I had to try on 6 or 7 different variations of the shoe to find my best fit. I tried on women's 7-8-9 Kids 7 and Men's 7. I didn't even know I could wear kid's shoes, but apparently I can! LOL I got the men's because they're black with white piping and don't scream "Hey, look at my weird shoes" but after wearing them for several hours today, I'm a happy camper. The Shoe Depot has them on sale for $30 bucks so I'd check it out! I will check back in a few weeks and let you know my final verdict :)