Refined sugars

Options
seapard
seapard Posts: 33 Member
Ive gotten myself into a bad loop where I'm basically overdosing on refined sugars, feel guilty, quit for a few days, and binge again. Anybody else have this problem? Have any tips for overcoming it?

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like sugar. The more the better. :)

Is there something wrong with sugar that I am unaware of? As long as we're dieting and not being sedentary and not having some medical reason not to, you don't need to worry about sugar intake assuming nutrient sufficiency is obtained from your diet.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I like sugar. The more the better. :)

Is there something wrong with sugar that I am unaware of? As long as we're dieting and not being sedentary and not having some medical reason not to, you don't need to worry about sugar intake assuming nutrient sufficiency is obtained from your diet.

yup.
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem. I eat sugar like it's a drug. =(
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine in moderation.
    What is it mostly that you binge on?
    Allow yourself a treat here and there, don't deprive yourself of anything, and it could help you so you don't binge. :)
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to go on huge binges with refined sugar! I know how it is! :)

What helps me the most is making sure that I'm eating often, and that I eat enough protein and some fats with every meal or snack. Both protein and fats help stabilize blood sugar levels. The most likely reason that you're craving refined sugar is because your blood sugar levels are low or have dropped suddenly from a previous spike. Try eating a little something every couple hours, and if you're eating a high-glycemic food like oranges make sure to combine it with a good source of protein or healthy fats (ie. coconut oil, yogurt, olive oil).

There are some herbs and vitamins that help stabilize blood sugar levels and therefore reduce cravings. Cinnamon is excellent and is actually often recommended for diabetics or people with hypoglycemia. I've heard great things about chromium as well.

I've been using a great sugar substitute called Erythritol, which I totally recommend. It's a sugar alcohol, but doesn't have the stomach-upsetting side effects like other sugar alcohols do. It also doesn't have an aftertaste (in my experience). You can mix it into things like plain yogurt and oatmeal and it's very satisfying. One of my favorite sugar-free sweet treats is mixing in unsweetened cocoa powder with plain greek yogurt, and adding a couple tablespoons of Erythritol - tastes like chocolate pudding to me :)

Good luck!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Is there something wrong with sugar that I am unaware of?
    Sugar was directly responsible for the holocaust.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I cut it out completely for a few months now. Couldn't care less if I ever have it again.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I also heard it killed the Mayans, sunk Atlantis, and brought down the Soviet Union as well.

Sugar = Honey Badger
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I also heard it killed the Mayans, sunk Atlantis, and brought down the Soviet Union as well.

Sugar = Honey Badger

Sugar don't give a ****.
  • seapard
    Options
    Fructose is actually really terrible for you. I looove sugar but it has a deleterious effect on just about everything. Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all

The video linked in the first paragraph is eye-opening and terrifying.
  • seapard
    Options
    Wow, how'd you pull it off? Cold turkey? No sugars at all, or just the refined and/or extracted from corn varieties?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Fructose is actually really terrible for you. I looove sugar but it has a deleterious effect on just about everything. Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all

sugar is sugar.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Some good points in there. Fructose confuses people because it doesn't show up with a glycemic effect on account of having no glucose in it, though as the article says it is almost always accompanied by glucose in real life.

The unique way in which fructose is processed in the body merits further thought, does it detrimentally affect the liver ?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Some good points in there. Fructose confuses people because it doesn't show up with a glycemic effect on account of having no glucose in it, though as the article says it is almost always accompanied by glucose in real life.

The unique way in which fructose is processed in the body merits further thought, does it detrimentally affect the liver ?
    Fructose gets stored as glycogen in the liver (has a smaller storage capacity) versus glucose, which is stored as glycogen in the muscle (larger storage capacity). It is pretty hard to exceed liver glycogen stores by eating only fruit - you would need like half a dozen servings or so each day but might be more easily exceeded with refined/potent sources of fructose.

The glycemic index is a joke, ultimately, gastric emptying rate determines how fast carbohydrates convert to blood glucose