treadmill question to burn belly fat (love handles)

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi everyone

I finally started walking on the treadmill daily about 1-2 mnths ago
I'm at my target weight (22.5 pounds lost thanks to this site!)
BUT I still have love handles and a little pot belly to deal with
Ive always been apple shaped but things got a little worse after having 2 kids 18 mnths apart and gaining too much weight the 2nd time

What's the best approach as far as the treadmill...walk a longer period of time at a moderate rate or walk a shorter period of time but pick up the pace?
Right now I'm walking a min of 25min...I start off slower than do a chunk of time at 4.0, then slow down again..

I know I should add some sit-ups, yoga etc, but I'm taking baby steps :)

Any thoughts?
Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Options
    Hi everyone

I finally started walking on the treadmill daily about 1-2 mnths ago
    I'm at my target weight (22.5 pounds lost thanks to this site!)
    BUT I still have love handles and a little pot belly to deal with
    Ive always been apple shaped but things got a little worse after having 2 kids 18 mnths apart and gaining too much weight the 2nd time

What's the best approach as far as the treadmill...walk a longer period of time at a moderate rate or walk a shorter period of time but pick up the pace?
    Right now I'm walking a min of 25min...I start off slower than do a chunk of time at 4.0, then slow down again..

I know I should add some sit-ups, yoga etc, but I'm taking baby steps :)

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, kim
  • melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    Hello, From what i've heard from trainers, you can't burn fat in specific areas, Your body just burns fat all over. If you don't want to loose anymore wieght maybe just try to do strength training (think baby steps) I.e. sidebends with a jug of water, or crunches with a ball. I hate doing sit-ups on the floor so i use a ball and boy is it easier on my bum!! Hope this helps, good luck!!

Sorry, i also meant to say that walking at an incline is always better than just walking flat. you burn way more calories.
  • englishpollock
    Options
    i have been trying to get rid of some of the dreaded love handles as well, and had never done any strength training either.

I am using the ball for crunches as well as it is a lot easier on my back & neck and have seen a lot of difference in the past couple of months. I just do a set first thing in the morning and my tummy is looking a lot better.

it takes a week to get used to doing it but like everything once it is in your routine you will be doing it second nature.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    mel is right about not being able to target fat loss. My question is this, is this really fat? Or just loose skin left over from the baby thing? You might want to have your doctor check that out. I hear it's quite common for that to happen in women (though I'm not even in the remote vacinity of knowing for sure), if it's not fat, then no matter what you do exercise wise, that' probably not going to go away on it's own. Better to find that out now then work out frantically for 6 months or a year (not that there is anything wrong with that) and then have your doctor tell you. You can, at a minimum, call him/her and ask if that is a possibility. with a BMI of 22 I would be surprised to hear that you have actual noticeable fat pockets, that's an odd distribution of fat if it is the case. I wouldn't say it would be a HUGE shock, but a mild one.
  • kimber607
    Options
    Hi all..

I think some of it must be loose skin/stretched skin from having 2 kids...BUT (w/ out being too graphic)
    I can def. grab a chunk..so I would think it's partially fat? and maybe I could do something to make it look better?

Like I've said, I've always helped weigh tin my lower stomach...even in HS..
    Guess it's just my genetic make-up..so I may been to stop fighting it

Thanks again everyone for your responses/insight, Kim
  • mbc83
    mbc83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it is very important to mix up the intensity/type of your cardio. Chances are you dont have as much fat in these areas as you think you do. You are going to end up awfully bored if you are trying to get rid of these problem areas by walking alone. I like to mix it up a little....vary the incline, speed etc...
    to keep from getting burned out/frustrated. Good luck to you!
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    You know what may be fun for you and the kids!!!??? :happy: If they don't weigh too much, hold each of them on your hip (or try one baby at a time!) and squat at the knees--like you're about to sit on a chair--and twist at the waist--to the left, to the right, to the left, to the right! Your baby will think you're playing, when in actuality you're exercising your mid-section! But, BE CAREFUL not to hurt yourself! Take it slow until you strenghthen the area! :smile: You can do the same thing with hand weights and an exercise ball! And I feel you....I've got love "GRIPS!" from two kids!!!:laugh:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Weight-training would probably help... you could even try a pilates or yoga video to target those core muscles. Good luck! I think you look great!