Women 50-60 years old who have reached goal

Options
If your are around this age and have successfully reach your goal, please share your story and any helpful advice. I guess I'm soliciting some motivation. I've got about 20 more pounds to go and am finding this to be the slow stage of losing! Thank you :)

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,979 Member
    Options
    I'm almost to my goal, but I set my goal pretty high. I just want a healthy BMI, so when I got within 5 pounds of my goal, I went to only a half pound per week. That has slowed me way down, but I have all the time in the world. I am very worried about maintaining, so I'm trying to sneak up on it. I think you are doing great.:flowerforyou:
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I hope you get some more responses. I am getting close to halfway to goal, and I would love to hear about some success stories among those of us of a certain age :)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No success soty yet-working on it but bumping for later replies. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's going to be slow, don't get discouraged! My first year on MFP I lost 45 pounds, the next year only 20. Yes, One Whole Year to lose 20 pounds. But it was fine with me, I was so happy to be down in the 'overweight' category of the BMI charts that I was never discouraged and felt like I was on track the whole time. The best part of this slow weight loss was that I solidified good exercise and eating habits over the 2nd year without trying to starve myself. It made the eventual task of maintaining doable!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am 52 years old. Work out 5-6 days weekly and eat healthy about 80% of the time. I love my body even though I still have some curves. I wear a size 8 or 10 jean. I feel great mentally, physically and emotionally. I never weigh myself, don't own a scale. I go by how my cloths fit. I found weighing myself could set my mood for the day. Did not want to go through life like this. Life is too short. I have a great boyfriend and we enjoy every day.

Hope this motivates you. Remember it's not always about a # on the scale it is how you feel in your skin.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and within 15 pounds of my goal (per various charts of what I should weight) and simply cannot lose any more - for almost 18 months I have been this same weight. I love how far I've come and have tried hard to to obsess about not hitting the magic goal but I have tried virtually everything - from calorie cycling to low cals to higher cals to Paleo and Primal, Weight Watchers (which got me the first 80 pounds gone), low glycemic....blah blah. If there is a secret for dropping that last bit of weight, we could make a fortune writing a book on it! LOL. I run, I exercise, I keep my calories around 1500 (though I've tried more and less for a month at a time). I occasionally wonder if a FitBit or Body Bug device might help me any. So, anyway, would love to see more ideas here!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is re-affirming my idea of having a body fat % goal and clothing size goal. I really don't know for sure how much I will weigh when I get there. Thanks for the responses so far. The absolute most important part is health and how we feel. I feel great already with my 36 lb. loss, so I'll just be patient and "enjoy the ride". I'd still love some more input if anyone has any!
  • Semperfione
    Semperfione Posts: 109
    Options
    I am in agreeance with your last statement, slow taking it off is the way to go, and to do this by how our clothes fit. Makes so much more sense to me. I am almost at a year here, 65 days exactly to go...and it is indeed coming off slowly now. Down 64 lbs and it is tough now.

But, when things get tough, the tough keep going.

Wishing you the best!

Rob
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is re-affirming my idea of having a body fat % goal and clothing size goal. I really don't know for sure how much I will weigh when I get there. Thanks for the responses so far. The absolute most important part is health and how we feel. I feel great already with my 36 lb. loss, so I'll just be patient and "enjoy the ride". I'd still love some more input if anyone has any!

Your doing great Diana! I have a body fat at a medium %age.. My bmi is at 22 % which is good and healthy for me. Your right about the health and the way you feel. It's taken me about 6 mo's to lose 25 lbs. And now I'm maintaining. I know it's hard sometimes but I am winning. This MFP is a "Win Win" situation. Just keep tabs on the sodium, fat and carb intake and you'll reach your goals in no time. Don't forget if you 'fall' one day you can always 'fall up' the next day.,..lol
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Diana, you know I am interested in hearing these answers. I have been so frustrated with this plateau.

I am bumping to come back and read more.
  • DianaJaneD
    Options
    Okay, I'll bump this also. Anyone else want to contribute?
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 so a scosh outside your age range, but I thought I'd drop a note here. The big change came for me when I committed to a few MUSTs:

1. Log into MFP every day. And I have save for a week when I was out of the country with no online access. 450 days and counting.

2. Hold myself accountable for everything I eat. I manage this by logging every bite I eat. It's psychological for me. When I write it down I, in effect, own my behavior. Too, it helps me keep track of my boundaries - even when I exceed them.

3. Weigh myself weekly. Because I've been a serial overeater, I've used both weigh in and not weigh in approaches. Now I weigh in and use it as a compass-- it's directional as in when I see 154 on the scale I know I'm going in the wrong direction and adjustments need to be made. It also forces me to reflect on my eating patterns and when I do it's a lot easier to see where I need to make changes.

The above is what works for me. It may not work for anyone else, but find what does work by trial and error. Seeking out other ideas is a great start. Good luck to all of us.
  • DianaJaneD
    Options
    I love this! The accountability and consistancy makes lots of sense. A life long commitment to health is the best approach, so I'll just stick with it and enjoy the ride :)
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 60. I started MFP two and a half years ago. The first year I lost 67 pounds and the second 28. I've been pretty much the same weight for the last six months.

I had one goal when I started: to not gain the weight back. I figured out how much I wanted to weigh, how much I could eat to maintain that weight and that was my calorie goal from day one. I also decided to only do what I knew I could keep doing for the rest of my life. So I've steered away from all the special eating or exercising routines that are usually suggested. If I was on a plateau, I treated it as practice for maintenance. If I was on vacation, I just tried to keep track as well as I could. If I really wanted something special, I ate it! If a new exercise made something hurt, I gave it up.

As I see it now, the losing weight part was just practice for the maintenance part. By the time I'd reached a weight I was happy with, I already was doing exactly what I needed to be doing to keep the weight off. Now I couldn't care less that it was very slow at the end. I care very much that I haven't gained any back.

I'd really like to lose another 8 pounds. Lately, though, I've come to realize that wanting to lose a bit more is probably the best thing for maintenance. It keeps me from getting complacent, from treating myself too often and it keeps me logging, exercising and weighing in. Almost every woman wants to lose at least five pounds so I'm really no different than other women who aren't overweight.

I have slowly increased my exercise over the last 30 months. I'm trying new things - long hard bike rides, Couch to 5K, I'm even considering a mini-triathalon. I'm very cautious though - I don't want an injury that could throw me off track.

My advice to everyone is to take it simply and slowly and one day at a time. The biggest mistakes I've made in the past were being too impatient for results and setting myself a weight goal. If I didn't reach it as fast as I thought I should, I got discouraged and quit. If I did, my reaction was DONE!! and went back to my old ways. Patience, persistence and preseverance are my watchwords now.

Jeanne