Today is my first day....

Options
Today is my first day to a healthier lifestyle!! (if all goes according to plan!) I have 60 pounds to lose and the support here seems amazing. Anyone have any suggestions to help me reach my goal? I'm new to this, and honestly have been in denial about how much weight I have put on the last couple years (a video of myself was a huge eye opener!) I look forward to hearing from you guys and want to meet some positive people!

Replies

• SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    Options
    Diet is MAJOR, once you got a good healthy balanced diet down then worry about amount of exercise. As far as exercise just do it, no matter how "tired" or "sick" you may feel, you wont regret getting out and sweating later on! Best of luck, stick with it!
  • krkaiz
    krkaiz Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you! I am making some major changes in my diet...cut out all soda, juice, fast food etc...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I just joined myself a couple days ago and I love it here! I used to track my calories and exercise using MyPlate but something made me think to check over here and I love the community.

My biggest suggestion is to track what you eat. MFP will give you an estimated calories per day when you enter your information and you want to track everything that you eat or drink and don't go over that number. Also, exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

In addition to tracking what you eat, WATCH what you eat. For tacos instead of using ground beef, use ground turkey. It is a little bit drier but tastes the same. Substitute sour cream with greek yogurt, use a little salsa instead of taco sauce. Veggies, veggies, veggies.

Find a fitness program that works for you and that is fun for you. For example, I've tried Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and it's okay but I get bored with it. However, I LOVE Turbo Jam. If you LIKE it, you'll do it more.

Even if you don't make it public, keep a journal or make a workout blog and write down how you feel before, during and after your workout. You'll see differences in yourself, you'll see it get easier, you'll see yourself gain more energy.

Feel free to add me for motivation and support.
  • 133at50
    133at50 Posts: 1
    Options
    Me too!!! Turning 50 next month and I SWORE i would get in a pair jeans by late July and although my goal is 26 lbs away, I would be thrilled to lose at least 10 lbs by next month (since that's a dress size) that would be a great motivator!!!

133at50:smile:
  • krkaiz
    Options
    Thank you for all the good suggestions! I prefer turkey meat (turkey bacon also) so that's perfect! I've been trying to get my boyfriend to use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream lol...now I know I'm not crazy on that one... I've been super lazy the past couple years, and know that's a huge reason why I've put on some pounds...I'm going to look into the exercise program you mentioned ( : and I'll def add you!
  • krkaiz
    Options
    Me too! I thought for sure I would fit in to my fave jeans...but not so much! I decided to throw out my old clothes and treat myself to new ones when I reach my weight goal of 120 (I need to lose 60 pounds) what's a realistic, healthy time frame for that much weight? Congrats on being so close! That's got to be an amazing feeling!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It's recommended that a health weight loss is 1-2lbs per week. 6-7 months would be a realistic, healthy time frame.
  • krkaiz
    Options
    That's not horrible! I want to keep the weight off, not lose weight so fast that it just comes back plus some you know?
  • lostropav
    lostropav Posts: 21
    Options
    Today is my first day. Hoping to loose 33 lbs. It seems like a whopping number right now. I already run (5k 4 times a week) and I am worried that this will hinder the weight loss, since most of the effort will have to come from cutting down calories. Anyone has good ideas??
    Good luck to you and let's keep it up!
  • bellissima86
    Options
    Hey All. Yesterday was my first day and I'm hoping to lose 42.2lbs. I know I should start small but having to buy size 17 shorts was the eye-opener for me. Unfortunately we are all in the same boat, needing to lose weight for whatever reason, but maybe with some genuine 'newbie' support we can reach our goals. Feel free to friend me so that we can buoy each-other up throughout the course of our journeys. Best wishes to you all!
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    Feel free to add me, MFP has great, supportive people that genuinely cares. Best of luck to you all!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to lose 60 pounds, too....I want to make it my Christmas present to myself. Feel free to friend me if you want!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day. Hoping to loose 33 lbs. It seems like a whopping number right now. I already run (5k 4 times a week) and I am worried that this will hinder the weight loss, since most of the effort will have to come from cutting down calories. Anyone has good ideas??
    Good luck to you and let's keep it up!

If you are running that much you will add calories to your day. Enjoy them...in good foods of course not chees burgers :ohwell: Good luck You can do it!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been here almost a year. Since I started I have lost weight and also become a workout freak. I am not upset that my weight loss has been slow because I don't feel deprived and I am in a size 12!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been over 23 years since I wore a 12. I am getting compliments all the time and it all comes down to the working out!!!! It has changed my body! I do all kinds of exercise so I don't get board, and during this year I have pushed myself to do classes and things I would have never done before! Spin class, boot camp, step class, zumba, running. I enjoy hiking too. In Feb I walk/ran a half marathon, and have completed 2 - 3 mile mud runs!!

I am going to be strong as I get older not hunched over and grumbling when I walk:wink: I have made some positive changes for life.

Anyone can add me if you plan on logging in every day!!! I haven't missed a day since I started 325 days ago :drinker:

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! And it will feel GREAT!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I can attest to the fact that this site works. I would do a free promo if they asked me, and I did not have a lot of weight to lose.

The KEY is to log everything you eat , and complete your entries at the end of the day. This tells you how much you would weigh if you continued to eat what you ate. Is it exact? No. Is it realistic? YES!

Add friends. Look in the success section, or look at my friends if you can. My friends are so determined and inspirational that I feel guilty when I do not log and share like I should (which happens, BTW) and yet they are still my friends.

Please keep going. I promise you will get where you want to be, if you stick with it, even on bad days, just be honest, we all fall here and are fine with "fessing up".

All the best!
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Welcome!
  • foodietrudie
    Options
    Welcome:) Ive only been here for a two days and everyone is super nice and spportive! My advice is to stay active on the site. Being able to track your progress and see your MFP friends make progress is a great motivator. Im glad you've decidedto make positive changes in your life, best of luck!
  • Dottiesweet
    Dottiesweet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have to lose 60 pounds, too....I want to make it my Christmas present to myself. Feel free to friend me if you want!
    I love that idea! Weight loss and a new wardrobe. I can't imagine a better Christmas present to myself.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step! Remember that the first few are the hardest, and the more steps you take toward your goal, the more natural it will feel.

One of the biggest things that has kept me going through the rough days, personally, is finding creative and healthy ways to have the flavors and textures I crave on a fairly regular basis - remembering that there's always a much better way to get the things I want. If I want cold, sweet frozen yogurt, I will have frozen yogurt - in a portion that fits into my daily calorie allotment. If I want salt and vinegar chips, I will have salt and vinegar chips - but I'll make them out of kale instead of potatoes. If I want a fizzy drink, I will have a fizzy drink - carbonated lemon water! Know what you like about a food that makes you want it, and find a way to get what you like without compromising your longterm goals.

You can add me if you want - though I'm no stranger to taking whatever steps I can to live healthier, I'm new to MFP too!
  • bkknights
    bkknights Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello- I've been on MFP for about 2 weeks now and love it so far. I think everyones got great advice. I too think its really important to log EVERYTHING u eat and drink. I couldn't believe hoe many calories I was taking in. It easy to see how I wasn't losing weight. Please add me as a friend I have about 60 to lose too. Try not to be put off by a long time frame. Last year my friend started weight watchers and its been 7 months. She looks great while I spent my time starting and quitting. Its our time now!!!!