Wanted: TASTY veggie burger recipe..

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
I would love to hear what your veggie burger recipes are. Not cardboard but tasty with lots of spices and made from whole foods if possible. Under 400 calories would be ideal (bun included).

GO!

Replies

• dstanley753
    dstanley753 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the Spicy Black Bean burgers (120) on Flax Seed Bread Thins (100) with Guacamole (2 TB @ 66) or with a Laughing Cow wedge (35-45). Great Lunch with a cup of salad mix (8) and Walden Farms salad dressing (0).

Total Lunch= 294 or 263
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    This is my favorite -
    about 2 green onions
    a large handful fresh parsley (cilantro might be good too)
    1 tsp lemon zest
    salt and black pepper
    some shredded carrots
    maybe some sunflower seeds (not always)
    sometimes if I have leftover salmon - I mix it in
    about 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice or black beans

In a food processor - add the green onions, parsley, lemon zest and seasoning
    Process until everything is finely mixed. Add everything else and process a little bit. I like to have *****s of the fish or the beans. I don't like it when it gets too mushy. Form into patties and cook in a really hot skillet for maybe 3 minutes per side. If the skillet is not hot they will stick a little.
    I don't eat these on a bun. I wrap them in lettuce instead. I like the crunch of the lettuce. Sometimes I might add avocado, or tomatoes or whatever I feel like at the moment. So the calories will vary based on what ingredients I used and the size of the patty.
    I hope you try making them this way. I really like them.
  • foodietrudie
    Options
    I don't have a recipie but I buy the boca flame grilled veggie burgers and they taste great and are low cal, also try the spicy black bean burger, its one of my favorites!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    This is my favorite -
    about 2 green onions
    1 tsp lemon zest
    salt and black pepper
    some shredded carrots

Process until everything is finely mixed. Add everything else and process a little bit. I like to have *****s of the fish or the beans. I don't like it when it gets too mushy. Form into patties and cook in a really hot skillet for maybe 3 minutes per side. If the skillet is not hot they will stick a little.
    I don't eat these on a bun. I wrap them in lettuce instead. I like the crunch of the lettuce. Sometimes I might add avocado, or tomatoes or whatever I feel like at the moment. So the calories will vary based on what ingredients I used and the size of the patty.

That sounds fantastic! Thanks!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    edamame and black lentil burger
    7283066662_192de543c9.jpg
    per big burger: 207 calories // 24g carbs // 5g fat // 16g protein // 10g fiber // 1g sugar

makes six big burgers
    http://quicheaweek.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/edamame-and-black-lentil-veggie-burger/

1.5 cups of black lentils, drained
    1.5 cups of edamame, out of the shell
    2 large eggs (make it vegan by replacing all eggs/egg whites with 12 tbls flaxseed meal + 4 tbls water)
    2 egg whites
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 tbsp nutritional yeast
    4 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/2 cup brown rice bread crumbs (I found this once for another recipe and it’s been living in my cupboard ever since. It even made the move from DC to NY. Feel free to use other bread crumbs but these are nutritionally kinda rad.)
    1/3 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Puree the following in your handy dandy food processor: edamame, black lentils, eggs, egg whites, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Don’t over-process it, the small chunks of edamame and lentils are a good thing. Transfer the soupy mixture to a large bowl. Put the flaxseed, breadcrumbs, panko, and nutritional yeast in the bowl and mix it all around until it’s all combined and you have that song stuck in your head. (GOTCHA.) The mixture is still going to be pretty sticky but that’s cool. Form them into 6 giant patties or 12 small patties on your prepared baking sheet.

Toss your veggie burgers in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out, cool, devour. Repeat.
  • sorce9
    sorce9 Posts: 8
    Options
    Black Bean Quinoa Burger

Recipe is from Allrecipes.com. Super tasty, sticks together pretty well. I usually use just a bottom bun PC Blue Menu Thins (85 calories). Great with a Laughing Cow wedge, avocado and even just plain!

Ingredients
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
    1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
    2. Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
    3. Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
    4. Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
    5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
    6. Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 245 | Total Fat: 10.6g | Cholesterol: 42mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been using this one I found on the web:

Outside Magazine, June 2012
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012
    THE ULTIMATE VEGAN BURGER
    A full-flavored plant-only feast for ultra-distance athletes
    By: Ryan Krogh

Vegan can be mighty tasty Photographer: David Prince; food styling by Megan Schlow
    Ultramarathoner Scott Jurek says he grew up as a “meat-and-potatoes kid who didn’t like to run much.” As an adult, he has won seven Western States Endurance Runs and two Badwater Ultramarathons, and he set a new American record for the most miles run in 24 hours (165.7). And he’s done it all on a vegan diet. “Most people assume I grew up in a hippie household,” he says. “It wasn’t like that. I just found that I needed to watch what was going into my body as I became more serious about running.” During college he began experimenting with plant-based foods and developed his own recipes. In his new book Eat and Run (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $26), on shelves in June, Jurek credits his diet with helping speed his recovery times, boosting his energy, and improving his race performance. He also shares his favorite vegan recipes, like this lentil-mushroom burger. “It has a ton of protein,” says the 38-year-old Jurek. “But more important, it tastes great. Even people who love hamburgers will feel satisfied.”
    Lentil-Mushroom Burgers
    1. In a medium-size pot, bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil, then add 1 cup dried green lentils, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 minced garlic clove, and 1/4 c up chopped onions. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
    2. Combine 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, 2 cups bread crumbs, and 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds in a small bowl and set aside.
    3. In a separate pan greased with olive oil, sauté 1 cup chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 3 cups finely chopped mushrooms, and 1 1/2 cups finely chopped kale or other winter greens for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
    4. Remove lentils from heat, add 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard and 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and mash ingredients together.
    5. In a large bowl, combine lentils, sautéed vegetables, and bread-crumb mixture. Cool in a refrigerator.
    6. Using your hands, form patties and fry or grill until lightly browned and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes each side. Serve on a toasted bun or on their own.
    Makes 12 four-inch burgers.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    This is my favorite -
    about 2 green onions
    1 tsp lemon zest
    salt and black pepper
    some shredded carrots

That sounds fantastic! Thanks!
    You are welcome. I wonder why it's wrong to say the word c h u n k s :huh: . They blanked it out with stars
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    You are welcome. I wonder why it's wrong to say the word c h u n k s :huh: . They blanked it out with stars

LOL no idea! It's weird that they bleep out curse words on a site for people who have to be 18 to join anyway, but that is neither here nor there for this topic.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    All these recipes sound great. Thanks for sharing!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This just landed in my email inbox today:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html

I've made this one below with much success. I've also made a variant in which I added shredded carrot and zucchini.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/

The key thing with these recipes, I think, is to dry the canned beans thoroughly so that the mixture does not get too mushy.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am commenting so I can come back and snag some of these recipes. YUM!
  • lozzle91
    lozzle91 Posts: 38
    Options
    bump :)
  • hayley9914
    hayley9914 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    makes 4 burgers.

2 medium zucchinis
    4-5 medium mushrooms
    1 large egg(can use egg white only)
    1/2 cup flour

can add other veggies in it like carrots, cucumber, etc.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*

: ))
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    This one is vegan, you can substitute egg white in place of chia seeds if preferred

1/2 sweet potato shredded,
    1/4 medium onion finely chopped
    2 medium mushrooms finely chopped
    1 finely chopped curly red kale leaf rib removed
    2 garlic cloves
    dash of liquid smoke
    dash of balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon ground chia seed
    1-2 tablespoons garbanzo bean flour (or as needed to make everything bind well)
    press into patties and grill or pan sauteed with some grape seed oil
    makes 2 burgers
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    so I tried the scott jurek's mushroom lentil burger and WOW!!! fabulous!! ty for posting that !
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who contributed a recipe here. I've not had a chance to try them yet, but I plan on it this week. Much appreciated!