Tomatoe, Bacon, Egg & Cheddar Savory dish. (with picture)

Options
Kalynx
Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
I posted this on another thread last night about fresh tomatoes and bell peppers for recipe ideas...but it was soooo good tonight when I made it, I wanted to give it its own thread ..and I took a picture, because I'm a super geek, super geek...she's super geeky..

tomatobacon.jpg

I give FLAVOR 2 thumbs up with how I did it tonight very savory and yummy. It was not a firm dish, like a egg bake or quiche woudl be, but it did go nicely on buttered toast like the original writer suggested. And since its so low on carbs itself, I did not feel a bit of guilt or worry about the carbs for the toast! And ok I probably cut have "cut the cheese" a bit..but I didn't. wow that didn't sound right but you know what I mean. lol

Original recipe came from http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1716,131180-249192,00.html

Here is what I did, using ^ as guide, but with fresh tomatoes, not canned and a bit more bacon (lower sodium bacon) than called for ..that's how I roll. lol.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In mixing bowl mix well:
8 small tomatoes (I crushed/chopped them in food processor) or any equivalent of fresh tomatoes you have on hand ..about 2 cups
2 very small white onions (one medium) diced (again i used food processor)
10 strips of crispy bacon cut into pieces - i had baked mine in oven last night on broiler pan, then just pulled out of fridge tonight and diced it in processor for a few seconds until it was ripped apart good.
1.5 cups shredded cheddar
1 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
1/4 cup of water - not sure it NEEDED the water but it was not runny, and I wanted to make up for liquid from can of tomatoes called for in original recipe.

once ^ is mixed, stir in 3 eggs that have been whisked together well.

spoon mixture into 9 x 9 baking dish/pan sprayed with Pam. Top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar

bake until cheese is golden - mine I baked for 40 minutes total (checked it after 30, then decided it needed 10 more)

I got 9 portions. It came to:

calories: 175 carbs: 4 fat: 14 protein: 10 cholesterol: 94 Sodium: 335 mg Sugars: 1 Fiber 0 Potassium: 236

I dont mind the fat I will budget for it in my day so I can enjoy it. That said, you COULD use less cheese or reduced fat cheese, and possibly just egg white substitution and only 8 strips of bacon if trying to cut the fat, too.

Replies

• leighjack
    leighjack Posts: 12
    Options
    It looks really yummy Kalyn! I like that it could be used for a Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner dish.. I love versatile foods. Thanks for posting this.. I will certainly be making this soon!
  • how13
    how13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipes , i am always looking for new dishes and I bet my family could eat this dish,,,,,keep up the good work!!!!!!!.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Holy ****knockers!! Bacon makes everything better.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought of the combo with tomatoes..but thought it sounded good enough to try, and was suprised how REALLY good it tasted!!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That looks like heaven.
  • alisont91
    alisont91 Posts: 54
    Options
    this would be good wrapped in a tortilla with some salsa! mmm
    thanks! :)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh, total bump on this puppy. Thanks!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bump, gotta try this
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump, looks yummy!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hmm... may need to try. :)
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe, I'm for sure going to be trying it.