Eating well while away from home?

Options
Hey guys!
So I just landed a new job and will be doing some training in another state. They're going to pay for my hotel and food and everything so its a pretty sweet deal! :) I believe I'll be getting $25 a week stipend for food and am wondering what kinds of things I can eat while away from home. I may or may not have a little fridge in the hotel room so that might help me or hurt me. The hotel offers a continental breakfast so I should be okay with breakfast, just thinking of what to eat for lunch and dinner without totally ruining all my progress. Any suggestions?

Replies

• veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump! Anybody? lol
  • rachborg
    rachborg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm facing a similar problem this weekend, I'm going away for 4 days with a group and I know there will be times when fast food is the only option given. So I've done research to find the places with the low calorie options, and have made a list (so that I don't crumble and get that massive Big Mac meal instead!)

My advice is to do some research before you go. See if you can find out what food places are around so that you can suss out some healthy options. When my husband and I went travelling last year, we would eat a full breakfast (seeing as it's catered for, but try sticking to the healthier options given - not the pastries etc), have something really light for lunch like a salad, or stock up on food from a supermarket (things you'd normally eat during the day), and then have a decent cooked dinner. I guess just think about what you're eating now, and see if you can find a way to get something similar.

Hope that helps!!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Subway. Sushi. Chicken Salad wraps.
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Salad bars, or stay your current course. Hopefully, your situation finds you with a kitchenette where you can prepare your own foods instead of having to rely on going out to eat at every meal.
    I once found myself in a situation where I was in a motel for 5 months, had no kitchen (I ended up bringing a crock pot and a single burner to prepare my meals). After one incident with the management, we were cool about it, especially since my only choices were McDonalds (never in 10,000 years) and a grill place which wasn't much of a better option

Americans weigh so much because of food choices and the ease of available food. To stay healthy, you have to work at it a bit. Don't let this be an excuse to be complacent about a stipend. Use that stipend at the grocers... It'll go further.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Even if you have to eat out a good bit, you can plan it so you can find relatively healthy options. Chain restaurants pretty much all have menu and nutritional information available on their websites. Figure out what's around and figure out what their healthier options are. Grocery stores with salad bars are a good option provided you keep the dressing in check.
  • ivyamom
    ivyamom Posts: 16
    Options
    Here a few things I like that are low calorie healthy options away from home
    Grilled chicken: u can find this anywhere from McDonalds to sit in restaurants...u can order it a la cart
    Side salads, apples in place of fries, subway offers a good selection of salads too. Chinese cuisine is high in veggies, seafood is healthy and low in fat..but be sure to measure your rice. I take my stevia packets with me in my purse so I can enjoy my green tea or other unsweetened teas as available. Best of luck..and enjoy ur trip!
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much guys! :)