Too Much Temptation, help!

Options
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with my weight loss at the moment.

Where I work, pretty much everyone orders in sandwiches, or raids the vending machines for the stupidly unhealthy snacks. Sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day can be pretty boring, and I find myself eating for the sake of it.

Also, my partner's dad is pretty ill at the moment, and things aren't looking all that good. When I get sad/stressed, I tend to comfort eat.

Does anyone have any tips on how to resist temptation, or perhaps advise me on what kind of food/drink can help me feel fuller for longer?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Kay - 23, UK.

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I am incredibly bored at work right now and although I am not hungry I find myself wanting to eat. I do a couple of thigns: 1 drink 3L+ water everyday, so if i want to chew I just keep guzzling. I have gum with me, that way i'm keeping my mouth busy. I never bring money with me that I could use in the vending machine. I'm not going to ask coworkers to borrow money so I won't snack. i bring fruit with me so I can eat lower calories. Finally i remind myself that I really want to lose weight more than i want to eat something at that particular moment. You can do this! good luck!
  • kittenofdoom
    Options
    Hey Kay,

Totally understand the snacking issues. I was really struggling as being sat at home with the baby all day tends to leave you with nothing to do and boredom leads to snacking. I found it too hard to stop snacking so have changed what I'm snacking on. Try yoghurts, those snack-a-jack things (some of the flavours are bit iffy lol but there are some that are really nice) and the special K bars are very nice too. Or try fruit, stuff you can pick at that's low in calories and fat.

It's really hard to stop snacking, I haven't been able to yet, which is why I just changed what I was snacking on. I've been drinking more water too, always got a squeezy bottle of Robinsons barley water next to me XD that was the best tip I had given to me, drinking more.

Hope things pick up for ya soon hun xxxxx
  • BrookeOB777
    BrookeOB777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm out of grad school for the summer and I work 3 overnight shifts in a row, so that leaves a lot of free time at home during the other 4 days! I like the nonfat yogurt, especially the walmart brand peach, only 80 calories and it's very filling! Also, bananas or sliced apples with peanut butter. Just make sure you measure the peanut butter :-) Also, try to bring baggies with crackers or cereal, a whole cup of honey nut scooters (off brand honey nut cheerios) is only 110 calories!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I'm in the office for the full day.

I plan my meals and snacks for the day so I have a little lunch bag full of goodies to eat for lunch and snacks.
    As an example, today I had:
    - nuts (about 25g), slice of banana bread (homemade), soup (homemade), natural yoghurt (100g) with sliced strawberries, hommus (about 25g) with celery sticks and cherry tomatoes, 1/4 left over baked sweet potato, peanut butter sandwich (1 slice bread, 1/2 tbsp natural pb).

If I add in a cafe latte (skim) it all comes to about 900 cals, which would be about the same as two big slices of carrot cake. Although I'd enjoy some cake, I know that having all the yummy food to eat is much better for me and will keep me much more satisfied through the day.

The other thing I do is plan - I know I'm going to have a snack about 10.30 or 11 and lunch at 12.30 or so and another snack about 3. This way I'm not eating continuously all day but I know that I will have something to eat pretty soon so I don't feel deprived. The other good thing about planning is that it leaves me free to change my mind - if it is a birthday and we have cake or I want something different I can see what I can take out of my day to make room for the new item.

You might like a book by Gillian Riley called "Eating Less". It really made sense to me - she talks about not focussing purely on weight loss but on working on the reasons why you over eat.