Eating Out DISASTER

Options
My family and I went shopping earlier today and we decided to stop at Chili's for lunch. I felt sure that a salad would be a good choice so that I wouldn't completely blow my calorie intake for today. I ordered the grilled chicken caesar salad, and I was shocked when I checked the calories on here. I'm glad I didn't eat the whole salad, because it equals to 910 calories. I will definitely have to eat a tiny dinner tonight to make up for it.

Replies

• 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I fell for that too at Chili's. Everyone has been telling me to 1/2 your food & take it home. Dressing on the side too. Portions are so big at resturants now.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes you have to watch out for all the bad dressings out there. And all chicken breast out there are not healthy. Good choice on only eating half! Now you can have the other half for dinner/ tomarrow.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Cesar dressing is the enemy!
  • rob_in_wisc
    Options
    It is amazing how many calories there are in some of the resturant salads. I eat out a lot for work. I have made it a rule that I only order broiled or grilled fish or chicken and vegetables. They usally turn out to be a good choice. The salmon at Chili's is good. Just an idea. Keep up the great work and don't sweat the bumps in the road.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens!! That happened to me at Texas Roadhouse. Chillis does actually have a GREAT "guitless grill menu" that lists nutritional information. Ceasar Salads are alway pretty bad I think.

Good luck tonight! I know you're annoyed, but you'll be okay. :wink:

Susan
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am the same way at Applebee's too. It is the dressing that will kill the calories. I didn't even think about having the dressing put on the side. I ate about 1/2 of it and I was pretty shocked when I found out how much calories it was. I really think that it is easier to have my calorie counter with me or not even go out to dinner at all....
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I should have gotten something off of the guiltless grill menu, but I was in the mood for a salad and felt like it couldn't possibly be that many calories, even with the dressing. Next time I'll stick with the grilled fish!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Eating out is pretty tricky.
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ugh my family ate at chili's today too n talk bout disaster. blah..... i am gna really have to be super strict this week n excersise lots. bleck. :(
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I opt out for a Wendys side salad with my kids. I over did it too at Long Horn recently and got the steak, sweet potatoe, bread and salad and wow did I over do it but that was my big meal for that day. Definately better with the McDonalds or Wendys side salad and some nuggets to eat over the salad.
  • lissmiller
    Options
    I've found the smae thing - eating out is tricky. I have family visiting a lot and they like to go out to eat. Recently I ordered a "chicken caesar salad," dressing on the sidet. Used very little dressing (not even half); and the salad consisted of greens and a grilled chicken breast, only. I gained 1.5 pounds. True, I lost it in 2 days, but it still felt like a setback. Another night I ordered a plain grilled chicken breast, and specified no fats or oils - still gained a pound.
    Either they just don't listen, or the food is already salted, etc., so the scale goes up. I'm going to have to minimize how often I go out this winter when my family comes often (I live in FL and they live up north!).
    The up-side is it will be easier on the budget!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This was the first time I've gone out to eat since I started trying to eat healthier again. One good thing I've found about my lunch is that it was very filling. I still am not hungry, so I don't mind the calories so much now. I might just have some fruit for dinner.