Couch potato to marathon

Options
katekrise
katekrise Posts: 178 Member
In June of 2011 I ran my first 5K. It was HARD! I have never been a runner. I hated to sweat and I hated to work out. I started the C25K plan. It was HARD! I hated every moment of it. I had to repeat training weeks and I didn't even run the full 3.1 miles 'til my first 5K. It was the hardest race of my life.

It's now 1 year ago this month...Just to think that last year I was fighting to run 3.1 miles and this month I'll be running a half marathon as a training run for my first marathon....

Wow! What a difference 1 year of determination makes!!

Running is one of my greatest pleasures now. If I go more than 2 days w/o running...I would feel horrible...

You wouldn't have been able to convince me 1 year ago that this is where I'd be now lol

I <3 to run!

-Kate

Replies

• Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I had a simlar journey. 5 years ago I couldn't run for a minute. Now I've run 3 marathons and am training for my fourth. Good job and keep it up.
  • klacoille
    klacoille Posts: 53
    Options
    I keep trying to do the c25k program. But can only seem to get a week or two down before I give up. I hate running! It makes my legs and my feet hurt. Maybe I need better shoes. I'd rather hike or go the the gym and use the elliptical. What did you do to get to the point were you enjoyed it? Cuz I don't.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is very inspiring!!! I have been contemplating the C25K, printed out the run schedule and everything. And now I know I can do it and perhaps one day learn to love it! :happy:
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Yea!!!!

Same here sister!!!

I used to WALK part of a 1 mile run!
    First 5k? I walked part of it.

Ran my first half 2 months ago and am training for a full.

LOVE IT!!!!
  • kayleelvh16
    Options
    I keep trying to do the c25k program. But can only seem to get a week or two down before I give up. I hate running! It makes my legs and my feet hurt. Maybe I need better shoes. I'd rather hike or go the the gym and use the elliptical. What did you do to get to the point were you enjoyed it? Cuz I don't.

It shouldn't make your feet hurt, especially in the first two weeks when you are still walking more than running. I might go to a running store and have them check out the shoes you have vs. the shoes best suited for your feet and gait. I'm on week 4 of c25k and am finally running longer than I'm walking and its an amazing feeling. Although when "Twist and Shout" comes on my Ipod I'm sure anyone that can see me dance/run would think I need to increase my meds :tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!