Stupid stubborn tummy

Options
I know it's been asked a million times but I'm getting really frustrated so please be kind!!! I would be very grateful for any tips!

I work out at least 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think I'm eating ok. I slip up sometimes but generally I think I keep it under control. At the moment I'm doing p90x and including extra cardio such as running, kick boxing, cardio dvds, etc. My arms and legs are getting very defined and my butt is looking the best it has looked EVER but...MY BELLY IS THE SAME!! Ok, maybe not the same but it hasn't changed very much. What the hell dude. I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to but it WILL NOT budge!! I'm not even asking for a 6 pack or anything. I just want it to be FLAT!! I'm guessing it has to do with diet so does anyone know what the ideal diet looks like because maybe I just THINK I'm eating right and I'm really doing it all wrong. I'm starting to get really frustrated because that is my main problem with my body. I'd be 100% happy with myself if it wasn't for that stupid pot belly. ARRRRRG.

Replies

• teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I heard that you cant spot reduce. It just does what it wants. lol I have a large tummy and abdomen and thighs and while everything else seems to be getting smaller it seems like those areas are going to hold onto the fat the longest and be the last to go (they better go anyway!!) So just stick with it!!!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I had luck with pilates and flattening my belly. It's certainly not as intense as p90x, but for me it took about 4 inches off my waist (aka, I have a waist now). The more muscle you build in the stomach area and the more you practice holding it tight, the flatter it will be. I can't even forcefully stick out my tummy to look like I used too anymore.

For the record, Pilates beginner mat work-out with Ana Caban is what I used. It took me two weeks to not look like a drunk maniac when I did the moves, but in about 1-1.5 months there was a ridiculous difference in my posture.

Also, if you drink a lot of beer that could cause some issues. Drink less?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit.. Lift weights and Wait.

You can do ab work till you are blue in the face.. but it won't do a damn thing. The body loses as it wants.. so for you, the stomach may be the last thing to go.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump! I have the exact same issues :(
  • clairebearmcgill
    clairebearmcgill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hear you - same goes for me.
    Toned legs, arms, and lost fat round every other bit, but tummy still protruding and horribly wobbly - i can grab hold of all that fat and it makes me quite sad :(
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    13949341_2779.jpg

no matter what exercise you are doing, always and I mean ALWAYS have your core engaged (stand up straight and suck in that belly) - on the treadmill, while lifting weights... ALWAYS...

Here are some of the exercises I do -cable machine (I am not sure if you use the gym or not) it is the motion what really works so free weights are ok... they have worked for me hope they might work for you too :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-wood-chop
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-lift
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pallof-press-with-rotation
    Cruches on a stability ball holding a weight straight up over you chest
    Standing side crunch - weight over head as if pulling down to the side as I lift straight to the side the leg of the same side (hope you understand that explanation, lol)

Drink plenty of water and if you have any stressors learn how to fight them - via working out, music, what ever you have to do
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I still have my belly too. I've been lifting for over 2 months now with a good amount of cardio and have seen great results from the weights, but yeah, the belly is still hanging in there. So I just yell at it once a day--'Go. Away!' Just kidding :laugh: I suspect I'll wake up morning and it'll just miraculously be gone.

Did you take before measurements? Yours has probably gotten smaller but you can't tell because you see it everyday. I think you just have to give it time and keep doing what you're doing. And take some measurements so you can actually measure your progress.
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    13949341_2779.jpg

no matter what exercise you are doing, always and I mean ALWAYS have your core engaged (stand up straight and suck in that belly) - on the treadmill, while lifting weights... ALWAYS...

Here are some of the exercises I do -cable machine (I am not sure if you use the gym or not) it is the motion what really works so free weights are ok... they have worked for me hope they might work for you too :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-wood-chop
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-lift
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pallof-press-with-rotation
    Cruches on a stability ball holding a weight straight up over you chest
    Standing side crunch - weight over head as if pulling down to the side as I lift straight to the side the leg of the same side (hope you understand that explanation, lol)

Drink plenty of water and if you have any stressors learn how to fight them - via working out, music, what ever you have to do
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chachita7 I meant to write under that, your abs look amazing !

I have the same problem also.... and yes I agree with Chacita 7stregthening the core and having core engaged in all workouts helps :)
  • Naturally_sassy0525
    Naturally_sassy0525 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Usually the place with the most fat is last to go!!...But personally I have noticed that the more strength training I combine with my cardio the more my muscle pull in and make it tighter!..Just keep at it watch your carbs and sugar it will take time to lose where you have the most fat,
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You'll need to open your diary but simply put it's mostly diet...you seem to be working out enough so that's not it. Focus on eating clean and being under and you'll start to see results. Watch any sugary or alcoholic drinks closely :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Do you drink soda ?

Doesn't matter whether it's regular or diet ..... too much soda makes a soda belly ..... as I keep telling my husband LOL

Best of luck to you !
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I know it's been asked a million times but I'm getting really frustrated so please be kind!!! I would be very grateful for any tips!

I work out at least 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think I'm eating ok. I slip up sometimes but generally I think I keep it under control. At the moment I'm doing p90x and including extra cardio such as running, kick boxing, cardio dvds, etc. My arms and legs are getting very defined and my butt is looking the best it has looked EVER but...MY BELLY IS THE SAME!! Ok, maybe not the same but it hasn't changed very much. What the hell dude. I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to but it WILL NOT budge!! I'm not even asking for a 6 pack or anything. I just want it to be FLAT!! I'm guessing it has to do with diet so does anyone know what the ideal diet looks like because maybe I just THINK I'm eating right and I'm really doing it all wrong. I'm starting to get really frustrated because that is my main problem with my body. I'd be 100% happy with myself if it wasn't for that stupid pot belly. ARRRRRG.

Welcome to the "belly is last" club. Population you and me and a lot of other people.

You can't spot-reduce, but if you do some core work and lifting know that some beautiful subtle definition will be built underneath and will help your overall fat percentage drop. Once that last bit of stubborn belly goes away, you'll reveal all that hard work.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips you guys. I really appreciate it and you've been very helpful!! :)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Alright, this is what worked for me....like a definite noticable change/loss in my stomach/ sides/love handles

High protein, low carb diet. For 3 weeks.
    Lean meats (chicken, fish etc) low carb vegetables.

You will eat 6 times a day...
    breakfast = 2 eggs and supplements
    Snack =protein shake
    Lunch = lean meat (4-6oz) veggies 3-4 cups
    Snack= protein shake
    Dinner = same as lunch
    Snack = half a cup cottage cheese

Exercise = 4 times a week (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri)
    Day 1 and 3- HIIT (1 minute slow followed by 1 min fast, repeat for 20mins) on your fav cardio machine. Followed by 5 excercises that target shoulders and back 2 sets of 20 reps each. Then 10 mins of cardio. 5 mins slow followed with 5 mins fast. Then another 2 sets of arms and shoulders 20 reps each. Finished.

Day 2 and 4- HIIT (1 minute slow followed by 1 min fast, repeat for 20mins) on your fav cardio machine. Followed by 5 excercises that target legs and abs (3 for legs, 2 for abs) 2 sets of 20 reps each. Then 10 mins of cardio. 5 mins slow followed with 5 mins fast. Then another 2 sets of legs and abs 20 reps each. Finished.

Drink plenty if water, take your vitamins and stick to it and you should see a loss in fat :)