17 day diet

Options
Has anyone had success with the 17 Day Diet. It seems very healthy. A little Atkins like in the beginning but then reintroduces food. Let me know if anyone has had success!!!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A diet that lasts 17 days doesn't exactly sound sustainable.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who have had success on it. Some keep the weight off some don't.

Is it something you can do for the rest of your life? If you can't or won't than the weight probably won't stay off.

It's VERY restrictive. It's a strict diet. I have read the book and found that following the guidelines here have been much simplier. Weight loss will happen whether you follow the diet book or the lifestyle change MFP has given you.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It is super strict, not something you can really "adapt" you just have to follow it to the letter. I lost 6% (10 lbs) in 17 days. But I didn't continue on to the other phases. I did maintain that loss, though.
  • xoxo99
    xoxo99 Posts: 36
    Options
    I had great success on it and highly recommend it. I lost 25 pounds. It is only restrictive in the beginning.....it is a way of life and changing your eating habits. It is very healthy and I never felt better....however, I reverted back to old bad habits and gained some of it back so am starting again. I would say that it's basically eating clean...which is HEALTHY! I found it to be very do-able. Especially given the toughest part of it is only 17 days long then you move onto the second phase which I found quite easy to follow. Friend or message me if you have any questions or want more info :)
  • colson72687
    Options
    I did this and it really does work. Make sure you read the book all the way through and then keep it handy for when you're cooking. Or I even made small lists on pieces of paper or in a notebook/journal of what I could eat on each phase. I never finished it out because I fell off the wagon a couple times, but when I was on it for about a month it really did help me drop weight. It is very easy to eat like that throughout your life and change habits permanently. I think if you do that in conjuction with this program and can log what you're taking in, you'd be surprised how hard it is for you to meet your calorie goal each day but you realize you are eating so much food and can't imagine taking in more food. If you like all the healthy foods (ie. fruits and veggies and fish and chicken), it's a very great diet plan. Thinking about doing it again myself maybe to kick the last pounds in my weight loss goal...after I finish a really crazy workout regime. Good luck with it and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)
  • samrybarczyk
    samrybarczyk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also had great success with it, however I mainly used it as a jump start to my weight loss. I went through all the cycles and it really taught me how to eat. To this day I still use the principals he teaches and I have lost almost 70 pounds! Although it can be a bit restrictive at first, I really think it made it simpler for me and not to mention it really helped kick my addiction to sugar and simple carbohydrates which was MAJOR for me. I think it's something you should defiantly try!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a knock off of the Dukan diet... Just a quicker version.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a knock off of the Dukan diet... Just a quicker version.

Its a bit different. I haven't done it, but I did read the book. I will never do it btw, way way too restrictive for me.

Instead of only have veggies and lean protein which is what I believe you do on the Dukan diet? You have lean proteins and veggies, plus 2 fruits and 2 probiotics (yogurt etc) a day. So it has a tiny tiny bit more freedom. I would rather lose slowly and enjoy my carbs personally.