Best (read: easy) way to prepare Acorn Squash

Options
I have a small acorn squash that I don't know what to do with. Any suggestions?
I want something easy and healthy. Thanks in advance - you are all great!!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You can make acorn squash with just a small amount of butter and brown sugar and it won't be too bad for you. Using your favorite butter-substitute would make it healthier. You can also turn it into a mashed potato type dish - I don't have a recipe off hand (I found one, but it had syrup, butter and lots of not so great stuff in it) - but it would probably be pretty easy.

Here's a recipe for a basic cooked squash:
    (From http://www.drgourmet.com/recipes/extras/acornsquash.shtml)

Roasted Acorn Squash
    Servings = 2 | Serving size =1/2 squash
    Cooking Time = 30 Minutes

This recipe can be multiplied by 2,3,4.
    The leftovers make a good ingredient in tossed salads.

Ingredients:
    1 acorn squash (about 1 pound)
    1 tsp butter
    2 tsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Halve the squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard them. Make shallow cuts in a grid pattern along the inside of the squash.

Place 1/2 tsp. butter and 1/2 tsp. brown sugar in the cavity of each squash.

Set the squash in the preheated oven and reduce the heat to 350°F. Roast for approximately 30 minutes. Using a spoon occasionally baste the top and inside of the squash with the sugar/butter mixture.

Remove and serve after allowing to cool for about 5 minutes.

Nutrition:
    Serving size = 1/2 squash
    Servings = 2

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 112
    Calories from Fat 19

Total Fat 2g 3%
    Saturated Fat 1g 6%
    Monounsaturated Fat 1g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 5mg 2%
    Sodium 8mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrates 25g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 13%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 2g
    Vitamin A 17%
    Vitamin C 40%
    Calcium 7% Iron 9%
    Vitamin K 0 mcg
    Potassium 756 mg
    Magnesium 70 mg
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I recently bought acorn squash. It had a sticker to poke several holes in it with a fork and microwave on high for 7 to 8 min. It came out nicely - very soft. I just added spray butter and fresh ground black pepper. Yummy/.
  • gabbier
    Options
    Just put it the microwave and cok it that way you don"t have to peel it .When done just cut in half and remove the seeds and scoop it out and mash it . It is a wonderful squash. Try all the varities as they are a great vegetable and that way don't get bored with the same old vegs
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is a delicious way to make acorn squash. I prefer my squash and sweet potatoes savory rather than adding sugar and making them sweet.

Roasted Acorn Squash
    Ingredients
    Serves 6
    2 prepared Basic Acorn Squash, 2 pounds each (cut in half and scoop out seeds)
    8 shallots
    6 small sprigs fresh rosemary
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare 2 acorn squash (2 pounds each). Carefully cut each half into four wedges.
    2.Peel 8 shallots, leaving root ends intact (separate into lobes, if large). Combine on a rimmed baking sheet with squash, 6 small sprigs fresh rosemary, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Season with 2 teaspoons coarse salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper; toss well to coat, and spread in a single layer.
    3.Roast, turning squash halfway through, until browned and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
  • knitwitgirly
    knitwitgirly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas! i've got one cookin' in the micro as i type.. think i'll add some margarine and brown sugar this time.