Calling all Runners! First 5K coming up - Any advice?

Options
DAM_Fine
DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
I've been running for a while now, but it's always been just for myself. It clears my mind, lifts my spirits and makes me feel good about my body and myself. I have never followed any program or attended any running clinics. I just ran.

Friends here, past and present, have convinced me by their example that it's time to step it up to the next level. So - my first 5K run is this coming Saturday and I'm nervous and excited about that.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should be doing these next few days to be fully prepared?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a day or two off from running before, but other than that, treat it like any other run on any other day. Relax and enjoy! :smile:
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! The best piece of advice I got form my coach before my marathon was to "behave." What he meant by that was to start off slower than you normally would and about halfway through slowly start to pick up your speed to your comfortable running pace for the last mile or half mile. This way you will finish strong - that's always the best way to finish!

Good luck!
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for you! How did you start running? I want to do a 5k by Thanksgiving, but just dont know how to start or if that is enough time for me to get there...any advice would greatly be appreciated. Have a great run!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you've been running for awhile now, this should be super easy for you. The other runners gave great advice. Above all, relax and have fun! It really is a festive atmosphere - smile a lot and enjoy it! :happy:
  • MommyCatM
    MommyCatM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: My Bestie is doing the Couch to 5k program. Otherwise both Prevention Mag and Runner's World have frequent articles on how to start a running program for beginners. Usually it is walk 1 min run 30 seconds and repeat for about 20 minutes then you build on from there. I love a Turkey Trot 5k myself. What a great way to start Turkey Day! Best of Luck!
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    bump
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    You are going be great! Start easy and build your speed. Most importantly, hydrate!! Good luck!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    treat it like any other run!

it still is for you :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a great post
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

My additional suggestion on top of that - stick around and cheer on some runners after you finish. Always makes a good race atmosphere and always appreciated.People are always shy to do that but it makes a great race.

Eta - oh and good luck and have fun!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Start mid pack, have fun and run the way you trained. You'll do great. Good luck!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Start out slow and try not to get confused at the start when everyone is crowded together. Find a pace u feel comfortable with after the crowd breaks up then just run!

I am sure this won't be your last. My husband is running with me in a few weeks and I am so excited for him to have his first. I will always remember the first time I crossed that finish line. I was so proud of myself. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Download couch to 5k app. Its a running program that uses intervals to help u get in shape to completely run A 5k.Its easy and great, you'lll be in shape way before thanksgiving.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The best advice I've read is - nothing new on race day!
    Race day is not the time to try out new socks or bra or iphone holder or breakfast.

Oh, and - don't start out too fast.

Enjoy!
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    Download couch to 5k app. Its a running program that uses intervals to help u get in shape to completely run A 5k.Its easy and great, you'lll be in shape way before thanksgiving.

Not sure what you mean. I already run - this is just my first 5K - and its on Saturday, not Thanksgiving...
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    bump
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    agree w/ the others that say 'don't try anything new on race day' - particularly w/ regards to food.

ask for help if you need help w/ your chip timer, etc.

remember to have fun!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And another one I just remembered - take a few spare safety pins for your race number. Just is case they run out (which happened at my second race - lucky I was able to call my niece and drag her out of bed to deliver safety pins for me). I made new friends too, by having some spares!
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5k on Saturday! I am so excited and so nervous! I am trying to place in my age group so the pressure is on! That morning, I am going to get up at 7am, have a bagel w/ peanut butter, a banana, and a water. Head to the race site about an hour before the race. Sign in, get warmed up, and get ready to ROCK!!!!

My race strategy is as follows:

- Start out at a comfortable and relaxed pace, not too fast, not too slow (Aiming for a HR of 150-160).
    - When I hit the 1 mile split, increase my speed a little more.
    - When I hit the 2 mile split, increase my speed a little more from mile 2.
    - During the final mile, I am going to be picking someone ahead of me and "catching up to them", do it again once you pass this person.
    - Once I see the finish line, I am going to sprint like there is a psycho killer behind me LOL!!!!!! Shave off those last few seconds!!

Like I said, I am going to give it my all! Good luck to you on yours as well!!!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for you! How did you start running? I want to do a 5k by Thanksgiving, but just dont know how to start or if that is enough time for me to get there...any advice would greatly be appreciated. Have a great run!!!

There's a free programme called C25K (Couch to 5 kilometres!).

Simply upload it to your iPod/MP3 player or phone, put on some running shoes and go for it! You simply run three times a week for around half an hour. It starts off gently with 60 seconds of light jogging mixed in with brisk walking. I started last week and I'm really enjoying it. If I can do it anyone can!

All the info and the links to free apps and podcasts are here: http://www.c25k.com/

There is also a group on MFP you can join: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k