is it normal to get hunger pangs

Options
Okay so this is my first week in and i'm struggling with it a lot, i have a lot of supportive mfp mates now that keep me motivated and going but because I've been use to always having a midnight snack that now because ive started to watch what I eat, have smaller portions and not eat after 8pm my stomach is constantly rumbling please tell me that it goes away soon? im drinking lots of water at night now to ignore the grumbles down below

Replies

• tehpounce
    tehpounce Posts: 64
    Options
    It is normal to a degree, adjusting to smaller portions is never easy. Try adding more fiber to your diet, its filling.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It does get easier - in a week or two the rumbling will stop. Keep drinking plenty of water.
  • ededar
    ededar Posts: 36
    Options
    I still get this, though I eat somewhere about 5:30-6:30 on most days so I think it's because I eat too early. Maybe you could try eating your last meal close to 8:00 and make it your biggest meal of the day.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

Also there is no need to not eat after 8pm if you don't want to. Your body does not stop at that completly arbatory time. If you want to have a midnight snack save some calories.

I rarely feel hungry. There's no need to be miserable when losing weight.
  • Evningstar81
    Evningstar81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber help keep you fuller. If you having a hunger pang in the nights pick a low cal high protein snack. When I am having a "snack attack" or am just plain hungry I will have a hard boiled egg. I actaully pre-cook eggs for the week so I dont even have to wait for it.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fiber, protein and water. Some adjustment in becomming used to smaller portions is to be expected and natural. Personally I don't see the harm in aq late night bsnack if 1. you have enough calories and 2. it's not huge. I will quite often have some fruit or a couple of semi-sweet chocolate morsels when the cravings strike.
  • xoFABULOUSxo
    Options
    The first week is the hardest because your body is adjusting to your new lifestyle. Try eating a couple of healthy snacks throughout the day. I'm a big fan of the Weight Watchers string cheese. They are only 50 calories and will satisfy the hunger pangs!
  • NVgal
    NVgal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I remember something Bob Greene (her fitness guru) said on Oprah, that the hunger pain feeling is your body "eating" stored body fat. And he said don't always be in a hurry to feed the hunger pain. Of course you don't want to wait to long either and be out of control.