Mud Run Training

Options
I am new to the fitness thing but I am dedicated and motivated. I have been working with a trainer 2x week and working out on my own 2-3x week for about 2 months now. Some friends and I are going to sign up for a mud run event in October. I am looking for training tips and suggestions on how we should prepare. We have plenty of time time to get our butts in shape so any and all advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, because I'm no runner, but have fun!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sorry, I wish I had ideas for you!!! If it's like the warrior dash, I would focus on running, strength, and endurance. =)

I REALLY want to do a Warrior Dash!!!! (When I can actually run a 5K!!! LOL!!! I'm getting closer every day!) I look forward to reading the responses!

HAVE FUN!!!! =)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I did a 10k obstacle course last year. It involved crawling through the mud, running through the woods in the dark, crawling over those net ladder things and climbing up a slippery metal slope using a rope. People (especially women) had a lot of trouble with the last obstacle because they had no upper body strength. The best thing I can tell you is if you aren't already, start some weight training. and plyometrics. Those will help with strength and jumping over fire/whatever. Agility training is always a good idea, too.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How long is the "Mud Run"? What's the farthest you ran? just so i can get an idea.

By advice though is to check out the couch to 5k program as i belive it incorporates running/walking and building up to the 5k distance. Also, incorporate weight lifting, maybe some circuit training too, as it is an obstacle course.
    maybe create your own obstace course and jump over things in your back yard. See if you find a place that you can do a mountain climbing and or a rock wall, that will help with the upper body strength.

I've never done a mud run but I would love to do that or a warrior dash. I hope you have fun doing it. :)
    i have heard that a lot of people help eachother out on the course too.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have done the warrior dash and a foam dash. You don't have to run a 5k to do these courses. The experience is being with friends and just enjoying yourself. If you do want to train, I suggest trail runs, working with tires and ropes. Build your upper body strength up. I am going to be doing a mudnguts one in Oct. I hope to do an obstacle course once a month. Also, don't let fear take over. The older we get the more we over think things. Just go out there and have fun and do the best you can. Make sure you wear old clothes, old shoes and bring towels and and a change of shoes.

Julianne
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    First question... is it definitely a "mud run" vs a Warrior Dash or Spartan Race?

Most of the time, a "mud run" is just that running in a lot of mud (& prbly crawling at some point), not a lot of obstacles. In a mud run my primary training would be just running. If it will have obstacles then I would definitely try running and intersperse it with some upper body or plyo (jumping) workouts throughout.

It's amazing just how taxed you do get when you have to change gears & do something different as opposed to just running continuously. So I'd prepare for that.

And keep in mind, they're really a fun environment, so don't worry about not being extremely well prepared, esp if it's a mud run.

Good luck & have fun!
  • gatork7
    gatork7 Posts: 22
    Options
    It is a 5k mud run with about 20 obstacles. I am starting the c25k program to help get ready but I have horrible breathing techniques for running so that is my big hindrance at the moment, I want to run a mile straight by the end of the month. I am excited about this, once I get this under my belt I hope to do a more difficult one like Warrior Dash :)