Workout Tracking...

Options
203MrsB
203MrsB Posts: 18 Member
What would you consider kettlebell workout to be? I don't see it in the tracker and I do it 3x a week

Same with the 30 day shred, I have been doing circuit training... but maybe something else is more similar?

Just curious until I get a HRM which will give me more accurate calories burned!

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• tadpole4192
    tadpole4192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are many activities not listed and caloric burned counts are different per person. Perhaps do a Goggle search and read what the creators of those programs or other users outside MFP are doing...and getting for #s.
  • alemap67
    alemap67 Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out too, I think the only way to get a true # is to invest in a heart rate monitor. When I go to a kettlebell class I sweat like crazy, but when I do it at home from dvd not so much.
  • nscarebear
    nscarebear Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can definitely add the workouts and to track calories, I would highly recommend a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4 and I love it.
  • 203MrsB
    203MrsB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do the actual classes, but not the dvds. All I could think of is circuit training or calisthenics until I get an actual HRM which is def a must!

Any more info or suggestions on KB or 30 day shred dvds would be great!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Would an HRM be accurate for kettle bells? I know they're not particularly accurate for strength training. I have never done kettle bells before but was considering starting them for strength. I didn't think using my HRM would be good for calorie tracking.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the kettlebell workout, but my HRM gives me roughly the same #s for the 30DS under circuit training... but I only log it as 20 minutes (don't count the warm up and cool down).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what type of workout you were doing. Kettlebells can be used for basic strength training (logged as Strength Training) or they can be used in much higher calorie burning metabolic type workouts (that I would log under Circuit Training).

Kettlebells are really cool and I've done some killer workouts with them. But they don't have magic properties so log them based on the type of exercise you are doing. They are weights, just like dumbbells and barbells. On my regular workout days, I log my KB, DB, and BB workout under strength, then on off days i do so-called spartacus workouts and use the KB or DB but log them under circuit training.