How sore is TOO SORE to exercise?

Options
Hello everyone! I've been a member of MFP for a while, but my weight loss hadn't been taking off. So yesterday, randomly I went to the gym and went on the treadmill for an hour! Mind you, I'm 230 pounds and hadn't worked out in a while! I don't know where I got this energy from, but for 30 minutes I ran, and the for another 30 I walked. I did 15 minute warm up, 30 minute run, and 15 cool down. Unfortunately, my legs are in pain and sore, and surprisingly so is my stomach! I can't cough hard or laugh. My mind is ready to go run again but I was wondering how sore is TOO sore?

Replies

• monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Never too sore to go for a walk and a light stretch. You might even feel better afterwards.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sore is good. Sharp pain is not. If you're SURE what you are feeling is muscular soreness, then you can continue working out for as much as you can tolerate the discomfort. Drink lots of extra water to help clear the lactic acid.

The fastest way to "cure" soreness is more light exercise, so you might want to go a little less intense for a day or two if you find the soreness discouraging. Once the soreness subsides, make it come back! ;)

EDIT: And as the previous poster mentioned - stretching helps prevent soreness. Learn some good runner's stretches and use them. Just read up carefully on proper form and make sure you are stretching WARM muscles, especially at first.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i agree with PP - walking is fine! I wouldn't run though, but that's my opinion. I recently have hurt myself different ways by noit taking enough breaks. It will not hurt to ease into it!