Social Workers Remove Newborn from Obese Mom

Social workers have moved to take into care a baby born to an obese mother.

The mother — who cannot be named in order to protect the identity of the children — gave birth by Caesarean section last week in a Dundee hospital but was told within 24 hours that she would not be allowed to keep the baby.

She has already had the youngest of her six children, aged 3 and 4, removed from her care because social workers feared that they were at risk of becoming obese. The 40-year-old mother weighed 23 stone before falling pregnant.

Read more here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6883919.ece?fatterlink

I hate nanny-state government!!! :angry:

Replies

• AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Wow
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Total BS.
    Don't remove the kids.
    If the government wanted to actually step in and HELP, they would take care of the MOM, not remove the kids.
    :angry:
  • Total BS.
    Don't remove the kids.
    If the government wanted to actual step in and HELP, they would take care of the MOM, not remove the kids.

Amen! I don't agree with that in all cases but in this one - definitely!
    :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Ok. I might be able to understand taking the kids away if she was too obese to take care of them herself. But to take them away because they think they will become obese? I'm not saying that shouldn't be a concern but it doesn't pose immediate risk to the children. I think there are much better ways that they could assist in this situation. Taking the kids away seems more damaging than helpful. They should have focused more on helping the mother get into some sort of medically supervised weightloss program and education her and her family on exercise and nutrition.

Do they also take away children from families where there is an obese sibling, grandparent, where one parent is obese but not the other? I mean where does it end?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Do they take children away from parents who smoke? Drink in excess? What about anorexic or bullemic parents?

UGH. It upsets me because it's a stopgap tactic, not a true solution.
    Help Mom. Help her learn to fix herself and her nutrition.

BUT -- there are no rules or guidelines about becoming a parent. There is nothing to stop her from being obese, overfeeding her children, and them becoming obese. This violates basic human rights, in my opinion.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Unfortunatly, Here in the US this has only just begun.

If you don't fit what the government/media thinks you should be, look out.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Total BS.
    Don't remove the kids.
    If the government wanted to actual step in and HELP, they would take care of the MOM, not remove the kids.

Amen! I don't agree with that in all cases but in this one - definitely!
    :flowerforyou:
    I don't usually get involved in talking about political issues, but....

I, just MHO, don't think the government should be taking care of either. One, its total BS that they even CAN take a kid from a mother just because she is obese. Who the hell do they think they are? Oh yeah, this kids going to be much better off not having its mother, right. Kids need thier parents. I can't say the words that are in my head right now, but they are not nice. She could be the greatest mom in the world, and can be an amazing motivator to her kids NOT to become obese. Ever hear the saying "Those who can do, those who can't teach" ***no offense to the teachers out there :laugh:
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Please, I weighed 402lbs when I gave birth to my last child and non of my kids are obese. I have a masters degree and a great job. I never heard of anything so terrible in my life.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Unfortunatly, Here in the US this has only just begun.

If you don't fit what the government/media thinks you should be, look out.

I agree. If someone's ex live-in lover who has no legal ties to your child wants custody, that person can actually fight for custody and get it! :noway: I'm just thankful my kids are all grown up but now I have to worry about my grandkids. :frown:
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    I had to look up stone/pound conversion. The mother weighed 322lb before getting pregnant. Her 13 year old was 222 lb and she had a 64 lb toddler.

The story is so sad on several levels... what kind of emotional trauma her kids must be going through. I don't feel the government has any business taking her kids away. Obviously the family needs some kind of education regarding healthy eating, but I really don't think the government should even be that involved. It's sad and scary that it can happen.
  • Total BS.
    Don't remove the kids.
    If the government wanted to actually step in and HELP, they would take care of the MOM, not remove the kids.

I get you're angry but how can you take care of someone that cannot take care of themselves to begin with or have the intelligence to know that becoming pregnant while being that obese is a health risk? Seriously, think about it.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    I agree that BEFORE any child is taken--and this is a RIDICULOUS reason, the intrusive governemtn could spend all the dollars they are now going to spend taking care of this child and get this whole family into nutrition and exercise classes. Here in the USA there are MANY MANY women I deliver who are well over 300 pounds. I never see anything done about smoking parents, maruijuana use---turn a blind eye, alcohol--not tested----they are going to get a LOT of international backlash over this decision. I am overweight, but still get out daily to walk with my children and try to cook healthy meals for them--they are so skinny it makes me sick---teenager metabolism! I don't smoke or drink, and have a good job---hell will freeze over before I would allow such a thing to happen to one of my patients. ARe we sure there are no other factors at play
    undisclosed drug use, not taking them to doctor--medical neglect--if not they--are so wrong!!
  • I had to look up stone/pound conversion. The mother weighed 322lb before getting pregnant. Her 13 year old was 222 lb and she had a 64 lb toddler.

The story is so sad on several levels... what kind of emotional trauma her kids must be going through. I don't feel the government has any business taking her kids away. Obviously the family needs some kind of education regarding healthy eating, but I really don't think the government should even be that involved. It's sad and scary that it can happen.

r u kidding, a 64 POUND TODDLER??!! OMFG!! and you cant see why they stepped in?
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    The trauma of removing a child from it's birth family is HORRIBLE. It is a terrifying scarring event for any child even if it is the absolute best decision because the child is in a perilous situation. Unfortunately it really is the best decision in many cases. But to protect a child from obesity? that's nuts. :noway:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    It's not neglect. Maybe ignorance, but not neglect.

Let's look at this from a different angle. Maybe, just maybe, growing up the mother had a mother whom demonstrated love by feeding her. It's huge in some cultures, Italian anyone? Maybe the original mother had genes that allowed her not to become obese. Now this woman is growing up thinking that you show love through food, and this is what she is doing to her children. It's a possibility.

There maybe can be some re-education on the part of the mother and the older child, and they can in turn use that new knowledge to become a healthier, more loving family.

What we don't need it the government deciding what dictates a good or bad parent and when they should be able to take a child away. What if the next head of child services decides that all parents who smoke create a greater possibility of raising children that smoke and the kids should be removed? You name it, its out there.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    At first glance the story seems absurd but I'm betting there's more going on than meets the eye. The story very briefly glanced over the fact that the parents had called social services because they needed help (why? what for?) and a 222 pound kid and a 64 pound infant is not a danger of becoming obese....their health is already in danger.

Something about this strikes me as sensationalism. Someone has left out a whole lot of information.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I had to look up stone/pound conversion. The mother weighed 322lb before getting pregnant. Her 13 year old was 222 lb and she had a 64 lb toddler.

r u kidding, a 64 POUND TODDLER??!! OMFG!! and you cant see why they stepped in?

I was going to say something similar................I know I am going to be bashed, but here it goes anyway......

13 year old that is over 200 pounds and a toddler that is weighing in at 64 pounds already.

I believe in my heart it that she is abusing or neglecting her children. She is not educating her children on NOT being like her, so she is not the world's greatest mom, IMO.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Here is some information regarding how they say it is neglect, which is a form of child abuse........

http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/childhoodobesityandchildabuse.html
    Yes, over feeding a child, especially to the point of obesity or morbid obesity, does constitute child abuse. Let me explain why.

It is up to a parent or guardian to ensure the basic needs of a child are met. Parents must provide many basic needs. One of these is food, but it is food for nourishment, not food to the point of excess and obesity. Nor is it food that puts the child in a malnourished state. One must consider what the child is being fed, not just the quantity.

Another basic need a parent must provide is a safe environment. That safe environment extends to good health. When a parent over feeds their child to the point of obesity or morbid obesity, that parent puts the child at risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, plus a host of other medical ailments. A parent who feeds a child to the point of obesity is a parent who is ignoring the health risks associated with over eating. A child in this state is a child in an unsafe and unhealthy environment. When a parent chooses health risks for their child over the safety and health of their child, that parent is neglecting their child. Child neglect is child abuse, and neglect is a choice.

For a more complete list of the basic needs, check out my page at: http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/signs-of-child-neglect.html

I will be posting your query and my response to a brand new individual page in the coming days. Rest assured, you will remain anonymous. I wish you well in your studies and research, Sarah.

Sincerely,
    Darlene Barriere

Should a child who is over fed by a parent be removed from the home?

In my opinion, removing a child from their home must be a last resort. The parent who over feeds their child must have the opportunity to correct the abusive behaviour. This would be in the best interest of the child. However, parents must have access to resources that will help them and their child.

I'll share yet another American case . . .

Justin Painter lives in Polk County, North Carolina. He is 7 years old and weighs 254 pounds. Doctors have been unable to find any medical reason for Justin's morbid obesity.

Justin's mother, Joyce, insists that she is feeding him properly, which includes vegetables, and does not include cookies, chips or anything along those lines. She claims Justin is active and that she controls his meals, but that she's at a loss of what else she can do.

The Department of Social Services has given Joyce 2 months to get her son's weight down. Joyce now has Justin in two programs for weight loss: one with a medical doctor, the other with Duke University. I understand that the latter is still doing tests, trying to determine the cause of Justin's morbid obesity.

In America, Social Services and the courts are intervening more and more with cases of children who are over fed by a parent. They are doing so because the very health and safety of these children are at risk.

I don't know if Joyce Painter is telling the truth or not. I only know that her son's health is in jeopardy. I applaud her efforts at trying to get help for her son, as well as the efforts of the Department of Social Services for intervening on Justin's behalf.

Justin's health and safety are what matter here. Besides love, nurturing and emotional support, Justin needs physical exercise, fresh air, nutritional food and appropriate medical care. Justin is worth it. It is his birthright. It is the birthright of all children to have both their emotional and physical basic needs met.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    I didn't realize the children are already obese. In my mind, that changes things a lot. That means her children are in eminent danger. Pulling the children out of the home still seems extreme though. Was anything else tried first? I think that should be a last resort. However, I can understand why it was done.
  • This is so messed up because I can legitimately understand both sides... I mean, if all the mother serves her kids is hot dogs and crap food, can that not be considered child abuse? But on the other hand, I agree that it's the MOTHER that needs help, and removing the children is likely to cause more harm than good...

Plus, this opens the floodgate for the state to remove children for almost any reason. :brokenheart: