what to do when you've over indulged?

Options
ayj72
ayj72 Posts: 13 Member
So its after the long weekend / bank holiday and I over indulged somewhat. What I want to know is, if I've over eaten on one day what do I do the next day? Do I try to cut down the amount I'm eating? Do I do more exercise and then don't eat the calories? I'm confused because we are told to make sure that we eat all our calories. Or do I just take it on the chin and get back on track, accepting that I've sabotaged my diet for the week?

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I tend to exercise more and eat less the day after.

But that's just me. I don't eat my exercise calories either though.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually just sack up and soldier on. I find it helps to kind of cleanse my palate with a day of yogurt and HUGE salads and I might add in a mile to my run, but there is nothing you can to to un-do it. Life happens, don't stress over it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I cut back some the next day, and I wont use up the exercise food credits, but I won't push myself to cut back the extra I indulged in.

I was lucky last time that happened - I went to a wedding and a party the next day. No way I could cut back the extra I had eaten, but I ended up losing 3 pounds for some unknown reason.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Life happens, don't stress over it.

This.
  • racmar0208
    racmar0208 Posts: 16
    Options
    You can't un-do it. You had a day of indulgence and enjoyment! I think we need those every once in awhile so we don't feel deprived. I would just get back on track and do exactly what you were doing the day before. Maybe just eat a little on the lighter side. I know when I over-eat, I feel like I have a rock in my stomach the next day. Which leads me to choose lighter foods anyway. And drink alot of water :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    First, take a deep breath-you didn't "sabotage" your week-you had more than perhaps you ideally should have over a long weekend. Many, many, many of us have done the same (on multiple occasions no less). I generally aim for a weekly goal (with or without "bad" days)-so if you really feel you need to atone for your weekend, exercise a little more and work under the assumption that you already ate those calories back over the long weekend. Or you can cut some calories off of what you eat for the rest of the week. Or-if you can just carry on without being wracked with guilt-just move forward from today-no atoning necessary. Either way-you had a bad weekend (or perhaps a very good one)-that's not the end of the world. And for God's sake-whatever you do-don't step on the scale tomorrow morning and then freak out because you "gained" 4-6lbs over the long weekend (cause you didn't-I don't care how much you ate).