Can't stay motivated

Options
I am 4'10" and weigh approx 160lbs, I am getting married next May yet I still can't seem to stay motivated. I still find myself wanting to eat what I know is bad for me. I thought that the wedding would be enough motivation to keep me on track because I don't want to look back at the pictures and hate them because i'm overweight. I used to weigh 120 and would love to get close to that before the wedding day. How do you manage to stay motived to get through it and not eat those things that you know are bad for you but you want anyway?

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    forget being motivated and just do it to prove you actually want it.

words are wind
    thoughts are private
    actions are your declaration of intent.

You want it? Fine. Prove it.

ps your motivation is waiting 6 minutes into your next workout. true story.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide to do it every day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    I agree with yoovie.

Move and your heart will follow.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try not to use your wedding as motivation. Too much pressure, too much stress if you fall off the wagon. Try instead to focus on getting healthy, so you can feel better and move better. Looking ahead to next May is too far. I take this journey one day at a time (sometimes one minute at a time!). Drink lots of water, make little changes, and start ditching the junk food. The more you stay away from the sugar and salt and fat and "vending machine" stuff, the less you will want it. Good luck - you can do this!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    “When you know what you want, and want it bad enough, you will find a way to get it.” ~Jim Rohn
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I know this is trite, but instead of thinking about what you might look like in wedding photos, think about the future life you will be living. You want to be able to live well, in general, and if you want children, you will want to be able to keep up with them. :flowerforyou:

I can't depend on other people to motivate me, but the people on this site are great at providing INSPIRATION.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the success stories on here! I find them very motivating.
    Also, if your having trouble getting rid of the bad foods you want to eat, allow yourself to eat them, in small quantities enough to stay under your calorie goal. Portion control is key. Hopefully healthier eating would be incorperated though!
    ...You can do it, you just have to want the change bad enough!
  • chamilton911
    Options
    It is hard to always WANT to count calories and work out everyday... the only advice I have is that if you have an off day, don't kill yourself for it... don't regret it... just forget about it and move on. No one here is the PERFECT eater every single day. I know sometimes its hard for me to want to work out when I am sore or tired but there is nothing like that feeling you get when you complete something against the odds. You feel proud... resiliant. Keep going! Don't give up!! Motivation will also come when you really start noticing differences in your body! OH, and don't worry about your wedding. Your fiance made the decision to marry you with the way you look NOW. Decide to work out for yourself, your health & your future. :) GOOD LUCK!!
    -Nicole
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here you go

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

read it and watch the video at the end.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I found once I had food that I could eat at any time.. I never had those.. "I just want to eat" feelings anymore... I always have frozen veggies on hand that I will saute with soysauce and garlic or microwave up with some light cheese... or pickles.. or lettuce that I can throw some good low cal dressing.. I cook up chicken every sunday for my week... the food is available and there for whenever I want it.. so If I can't make something at that moment I have something to eat and it will keep me going.

Everyone has different motivations.. but I always look at pics and read bios to help me stay on track...
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Start by saying "I can" and "I will" instead of "I can't."

it sounds stupid but if you start by saying "I am going to eat this healthy meal" instead of "I can't give up (insert favorite junk food)" it changes your mind set. You can say "I can go for a walk after work" instead of "I can't fit exercise into my schedule." All the little tiny "I cans" will end up overpowering the "I can'ts" and after a while it just gets easier to be open to positive change.

Obesity isn't a medical problem, it's a mental problem with physical symptoms. Treat the problem, not the symptoms.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I get on this message board.
    Success stories motivate me,
    reading about other people's problems motivate me,
    reading all the great support on this site motivates me.

You can do this! You have plenty of time. Give yourself mini-goals whether it is to weigh 150 lbs by the end of the summer or break it down to weekly goals - this week I'm going to workout 3 times and go under calorie 3 times. Baby steps. Good luck.
  • tylkinsey
    tylkinsey Posts: 4
    Options
    If you can do something for 21days it will become a habit. Don't look at working out as a bad thing, put your mind set into a positive aspect. Every time that you work out you do not have to kill yourself. Do something that you enjoy that is also physical. If you schedule your workout like going to work (something you have to do) then you won't think about it so much. You will just do it cause you know it is something that you have to do.

Good Luck
  • Misha41810
    Misha41810 Posts: 22
    Options
    here you go

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

read it and watch the video at the end.

Amazing link! Thank you for posting it :) It is now saved and printed out so that I can post it on my fridge on the days that I feel I am struggling...
  • daniellerb8
    daniellerb8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feedback I just hope I can stay with it!